Reason Behind the JL Wrangler Delay

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It's funny reading all of you argue over the suspension possibilities, but if you ask me I'm more upset with the fact that the JL might not have a removable top. I could eventually get use to a different suspension but I could never live without the freedom of driving a completely open air Jeep.

Things seem to be changing a lot lately so who knows what the end product will be but, up until recently, I believe the plan was to have 2 different versions of the new Wrangler - one with a non-removable top and one with. This would be no different than a Mustang or Corvette that comes in both a fastback and a convertible.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So would you be willing part with Moby or Rubicat???

I don't think I could make that decision.

At this point and time, if I had to part with one, I would have to sell Rubicat - no question about it. Moby with his LS, DTD and PR60/80 setup is a performer.

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
At this point and time, if I had to part with one, I would have to sell Rubicat - no question about it. Moby with his LS, DTD and PR60/80 setup is a performer.

We only have a few years to wait!

Makes perfect sense, just wasn't sure if you would make the decision based on frame stress or overall component wear too. A lot can happen in a few years.

I'm looking forward to see the final JL design. That will make me consider buying one or not.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
We only have a few years to wait!

Makes perfect sense, just wasn't sure if you would make the decision based on frame stress or overall component wear too. A lot can happen in a few years.

I'm looking forward to see the final JL design. That will make me consider buying one or not.

He has garage space for 7 jeeps and a yard for about 20 more. I'm sure they have room for another jeep in the stable.

BlackHawk08jk

there is a lot of upkeep maintenance for aluminum bodies. As a retired US Navy helicopter mechanic I know first had what salt does to aluminum and it is not pretty. Sure it is light but a simple scratch can cause a lot of head ache.

R/
Will

That makes it a lot less appealing.

JAGS

Hooked
Out of curiousity, how many of you jk-ers plan on swapping to the JL?

Was planning to get a JL at the end of 2017 and keep the current jeep as well. We'll see how things play out and what truly happens with the new model.

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
Why do all the top Ultra4 race rigs that compete in King of the Hammers all have IFS/IRS? Just so that we're on the same page, the Hammers are out in Johnson Valley, CA and is home to some of the most unforgiving rock crawling you can find anywhere.

Sure most of the top Ultra 4 rigs at KOH are IFS/IRS, BUT they also have MUCH longer arms to enable the longer travel and a tube chassis specifically made to accommodate that suspension. In a factory built rig that has a frame/unibody built to withstand crashes, that may be a difficult engineering feat. Then again I have no idea what they may or may not come up with so hopefully it will surprise us all in a good way.

trailless

Caught the Bug
I believe that IFS will only boost sales. A stock JK rides rougher than any of its competitors, especially the ones soccer moms and mall crawlers are looking at. Get the Jeep to ride smoother, still have 4 doors AND keep the iconic image and jeep will hit a homerun.

Give it a few years and of development and we'll have companies offering decent priced lift kits. Change isn't always bad.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sure most of the top Ultra 4 rigs at KOH are IFS/IRS, BUT they also have MUCH longer arms to enable the longer travel and a tube chassis specifically made to accommodate that suspension. In a factory built rig that has a frame/unibody built to withstand crashes, that may be a difficult engineering feat. Then again I have no idea what they may or may not come up with so hopefully it will surprise us all in a good way.

Never said it would be cheap to build up an IFS/IRS Jeep, just that the end result would be better than that of a solid axle setup.

JamesWyatt

I still think Land Rover going with solid axles for the new Defender had to influence their decision, too. If Jeep went with a better performing, but more expensive (both initially and to upgrade) independent suspension, then it would leave an opportunity for Land Rover (and Toyota or anyone else) to reach down and steal part of the Wrangler market share.

Sure, people are running independent suspensions in high-end custom rigs, but the Wrangler engineers probably ran into trouble making these kind of setups work in a production vehicle at a reasonable price point. For whatever reason, it sounds like they tried and failed - or - maybe "didn't make it through testing" is not the entire truth.

I just hope they don't ruin the look of the next Wrangler with a curvy, suppository-styled vehicle.

Top Bottom