Reason Behind the JL Wrangler Delay

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
With ifs you expose all the drive train as each wheel can be stuffed/bottomed out. While this is great for driving on roads or high speed on slightly uneven ground due to being independent of the other wheels, this could be catastrophic when going over rocks.

You will not win an ifs > sfa on a Jeep forum.

Never said that ifs is greater than sfa.

He asked why I don't just get a Toyota or Ford.

I gave an answer.

He decided to teach me goemetry.

I don't know why.

JAGS

Hooked
Never said that ifs is greater than sfa.

He asked why I don't just get a Toyota or Ford.

I gave an answer.

He decided to teach me goemetry.

I don't know why.

Some people are just teachers. :idontknow:😕

Those other rigs are not as capable as a wrangler regardless of suspension. An IFS/IRS wrangler would fun if for no other reason than there hasn't been one. I think this is what you were staying and I would agree with ya. 👍

CREEPR

Sorry jumped in late on the conversation. While I don't want Jeep to go ifs, there are plenty of solid axle Jeeps out there to keep me busy.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
IFS can be setup to perform just fine in rocks...just ask a myriad of the teams running the Hammers. Arguably, IFS perform better in rocks than SFA perform in high speed desert terrain, so the overall balanced performance of IFS would be better.

That said, it ain't cheap and it ain't easy to do it right. I think that is probably the most empirically sound argument against IFS for most people. Let's face it, we like to work on our own rigs and most IFS systems are not that garage mechanic friendly.

Skid_Kid

there is a lot of upkeep maintenance for aluminum bodies. As a retired US Navy helicopter mechanic I know first had what salt does to aluminum and it is not pretty. Sure it is light but a simple scratch can cause a lot of head ache.

R/
Will

You know some about corrosion do you? NUGGET.....

glenn91YJ

Very interesting observation about Ford, Land Rover, and Toyota (and maybe Chevy or GM?). I've wondered it they may try to bring something new to the market. Maybe the Ford Bronco but do you think Toyota already tried and failed with the FJ Cruiser or perhaps, as some have said, that was a intentional one generation vehicle.

Either way it would be great to encourage Jeep to make more quality improvements.

By the way, I've been over on the toasterjeep.com forum for a while but joined here to learn more about the Wrangler.

Problem is the new FJ Cruiser...
Screen Shot 08-12-15 001.JPG

Didn't come close to replacing this one...
FJ40-2.jpg

The original was a BEAST!

It would be nice to see Toyota develop something more along the lines of the original FJ. Go after the serious off-roader. They plan on bringing back the Supra, which will have a relatively small purchasing group at it's price point. I believe a serious off road vehicle would draw more sales than another high priced sports car!!! That's coming from someone who has owned a Supra and loved it! It would be great competition for Fiat/Chrysler and the Jeep brand!!!

4x4livn

I've been thinking about this too. Buy a used late JK right before the JL comes out. There always seems to be problems with any new model.

I bought a 2015 with this exact logic. All the issues should be worked out of the JK by now. More aftermarket choices than one man needs. Compare that to a new one. It can take a year or two for parts to start coming out that are worth a damn.

mattdcardwell

Coming to a JK from a toyota 4Runner this IFS in jeep debate is comical. In the Toyota north America world everyone complains how Toyota should have never went to ifs in 86 and the lack of 5spds, then eventually dose as SAS to their rig for rocks. Now on this side of the fence every one can't wait for ifs I guess the grass is always greener on the other side. I have a hard time trusting Jeep FCA can provide the base of an IFS for the wrangler that could be built to anything worth a crap, seeing how the axles on it now don't even come close the the world market equivalent of class, ie Defender or toyota FJ 70 series the true replacement of the fj 40

crowrb29

I think it would be cool if they kept selling and updating JKs alongside the JLs sort of like how it used to be with CJs. I know that probably would never happen though because having two similar models wouldn't be cost effective.

Top Bottom