Recent Shooting and Discussion

TrailHunter

Hooked
I totally agree with you. Teachers have a hard enough time and not enough resources, ya know, teaching. Teachers need to teach and not be Rambos.

Maybe if this country put more into the education system, we wouldn't have as many issues as we do?? But I doubt we could even agree on that.

School safety is a necessity. Adding civilian firearms will only open the door to more problems. You see how many fights go on in schools in inner cities? How long would it be for one of those firearms to be used against combative students.

I've got to believe there are more and better options.

I think maybe more of a Disneyland approach in school security.... A few armed undercovers, Bag checks, Cover the entry points, Camera systems with constant survellience.... Let it be known that security is an issue, but not to distracting for the kids or teachers.

JAGS

Hooked
I think maybe more of a Disneyland approach in school security.... A few armed undercovers, Bag checks, Cover the entry points, Camera systems with constant survellience.... Let it be known that security is an issue, but not to distracting for the kids or teachers.

I'd be down for something like that. Makes more sense than purely arming teachers.

21 jump street style. TV show not movie. [emoji6] Lol

CVJeepin

I have to respectfully disagree with you as well Brute. If it wasn’t an AR it would be something else.... doesn’t matter. Guns have been readily available for 100 + years.... But in the last few decades, attitudes toward discipling kids has taken a wrong turn. This country has been brewing a dangerous cocktail of political correctness, prescription medication, & violent entertainment..... Combine that with a lack of Core Values and participation awards and you get what we have here today. The first line of defense is in the Home.

Nailed it! [emoji375]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JAGS

Hooked
Hopefully after we fix this easy "gun" problem, we can move the energy to other more difficult issues. [emoji15]

Maineiac

Well if there were some trained teachers who are able to take cover in doorways and such, the whacko might at least be pinned to a hallway, or into one room. Having no weapons to fire back gives the nutjob way too much freedom to do what they want. That football coach that was there would have been much better off being armed.

I know not all teachers would want to, or even be qualified for such a responsibility, but I know many teachers would be willing to take a stand to protect their kids.

Sent from my Pixel XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
In Nevada, teachers (and other school staff) with CCW already have the ability to carry on school grounds and in class. They must get approval from the principal which I am certain is not given lightly.

My CCW instructor is a school teacher and a certified firearm instructor who trains regularly. She knows what she is doing, and is the type of person who I would want to carry in a school.

That said, most of the teachers I know are not properly trained to carry, much less trained to carry in a school setting. I’m glad they are not forced to do something they are neither qualified nor comfortable doing.

My wife has a CCW permit, and training. As of this moment, it’s still not legal for her to carry at the school in which she teaches. I have the same permit, and can carry concealed, legally, at any school in the state.

Last edited:

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Havent been reading much on this thread, but just saw today (I could be late in this one) but the officer who was there to protect the school didnt even go in for 4 minutes.....this is going to get even worse now

BobNH

Havent been reading much on this thread, but just saw today (I could be late in this one) but the officer who was there to protect the school didnt even go in for 4 minutes.....this is going to get even worse now
Resigned after being suspended, and two others are on administrative duties, don't know why.
Because no matter how much training and skills a person has, no one knows how they will react until the time actually comes.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

SDG

Caught the Bug
Honestly, my opinion is that teachers have a job to do that can already be challenging enough... teaching the kids, and hopefully challenging them to help shape them into productive members of scociety (although the parents should be doing most of that at home as well). I like the Disneyland, or concert idea. 1 or 2 entrances, and you get screened by people whose job it is to be security. You can never stop people who have malicious intent, but you can make it a more difficult for them.

Side note: didn't a lot of schools 'in da hood' put in security and metal detectors quite some time ago? I remember reading about this back in the mid 2000's.

Last edited:

Maineiac

Yea it's sad.. he sad he thought he did right thing holding a defensive position while calling in..and the other 2 that we're disciplined apparently didn't handle previous complaints about Cruz. I hope the end result is a complete shakeup on how we handle reports of these nut jobs.. and I won't mind if there are some firearms restrictions thrown in for good measure.

Jsouder53

Hooked
Well if there were some trained teachers who are able to take cover in doorways and such, the whacko might at least be pinned to a hallway, or into one room. Having no weapons to fire back gives the nutjob way too much freedom to do what they want. That football coach that was there would have been much better off being armed.

I know not all teachers would want to, or even be qualified for such a responsibility, but I know many teachers would be willing to take a stand to protect their kids.

I agree, not arming all teachers but certain teachers with some sort of training or permit... Teachers with their head screwed on properly, not just any old teacher with a short temper towards students

Sharkey

Word Ninja
That 32 year veteran of the the sheriff’s department who sat there listening to gun fire and screams inside a school for 4 minutes instead of entering the school and engaging the shooter is but one of a very long list of failures in the system related to this tragedy.

I sincerely hope he doesn’t get a penny of retirement benefits because he does not deserve them.

It illustrates an interesting point though. Arming teachers (or anyone else at the school) is pointless if the person lacks the intestinal fortitude to put herself/himself in harm’s way when the time comes.

Jsouder53

Hooked
It illustrates an interesting point though. Arming teachers (or anyone else at the school) is pointless if the person lacks the intestinal fortitude to put herself/himself in harm’s way when the time comes.

There is at least an increased chance of the shooter being stopped.

Last edited:

BobNH

That 32 year veteran of the the sheriff’s department who sat there listening to gun fire and screams inside a school for 4 minutes instead of entering the school and engaging the shooter is but one of a very long list of failures in the system related to this tragedy.

I sincerely hope he doesn’t get a penny of retirement benefits because he does not deserve them.

That is my point. You know he, and everyone else in those positions, go into those jobs knowing without a doubt they have "what it takes", but none can know until it actually happens.

jesse3638

Hooked
Hopefully after we fix this easy "gun" problem, we can move the energy to other more difficult issues. [emoji15]

Like the Federal Budget. Still operating under a Continuing Resolution. Fiscal year is nearly half over.

Honestly, my opinion is that teachers have a job to do that can already be challenging enough... teaching the kids, and hopefully challenging them to help shape them into productive members of scociety (although the parents should be doing most of that at home as well). I like the Disneyland, or concert idea. 1 or 2 entrances, and you get screened by people whose job it is to be security. You can never stop people who have malicious intent, but you can make it a more difficult for them.

Side note: didn't a lot of schools 'in da hood' put in security and metal detectors quite some time ago? I remember reading about this back in the mid 2000's.

I could see this working. It'll be a distraction for the first week but everyone will adjust to it, similar to the TSA screening at the airport. Just don't hire those people to do the screening at the schools.

Edit: Yeah they did implement this in the late 90's early 2000's They removed all the lockers too. Lost our lockers at the beginning of my 8th grade year..haha

^^^This^^^ I can see contract security companies made up of former Special Ops guys soliciting schools now if they haven't begun already.

Last edited:

Brute

Hooked
Great...how many would be teachers will rethink going into the profession now that they might require training and proficiency in firearms...we need better teachers, not teachers that are marksmen. I'm ok with having trained, armed & uniformed professionals on campus...maybe the NRA could provide the money for this instead of spending gazilllons of dollars lobbying congress

WJCO

Meme King
Some schools have metal detectors. I'm cool with that, but airport style TSA Pat downs for kids going into schools, no way. I'd pull my kids out of school if it came to that.

Top Bottom