Recent Shooting and Discussion

BobNH

Great...how many would be teachers will rethink going into the profession now that they might require training and proficiency in firearms...we need better teachers, not teachers that are marksmen. I'm ok with having trained, armed & uniformed professionals on campus...maybe the NRA could provide the money for this instead of spending gazilllons of dollars lobbying congress
[emoji106]
And next is people not collapsing into poverty condition every time a school budget adds .51 per 1000 to their tax bill. Though I gotta say, your suggestion of the NRA giving back is outstanding.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Maineiac

Private schools could raise tuition some to pay for it. Also maybe the teachers union dues could help in public schools? Or raise property taxes some for the public schools?

Sent from my Pixel XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

SDG

Caught the Bug
Private schools could raise tuition some to pay for it. Also maybe the teachers union dues could help in public schools? Or raise property taxes some for the public schools?

Sent from my Pixel XL using WAYALIFE mobile app
... or they could eliminate the earned income credit or CTC for people with children and that additional revenue could pay for it ;)

Last edited:

Gbint

In response to Huh??? I just trying to point out that any one carrying a firearm is ready to use it. My 2 nephews who are police officers tell me , once that round leaves the chamber there’s no taking it back. It’s an absolute last resort. One has been an general duty police officer in Toronto for almost 10 years and has yet to pull his firearm. Just saying!!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Or maybe we could impose a $0.01 tax on each round of ammunition sold in the USA every year. That would gross about $120 million in tax revenue given the estimated 12 Billion rounds sold each year. Add a minuscule $10 tax to each firearm sale and you would gross well over another $170 million. $300 million is a lot of money.

According to the National Center for Education Statistics, there were about 98,271 public schools in 2013-2014. That $300 million in tax revenues would gross about $3,052.78 per public school per year...which isn't enough to do squat. While the thought of arming schools is interesting to discuss, I can't help but think the relative cost of doing so on a widespread, national basis compared to the statistical likelihood of a mass school shooting just doesn't support that type of financial investment.

jesse3638

Hooked
... or they could eliminate the earned income credit or CTC for people with children and that additional revenue could pay for it ;)

While I have kids and benefit from the CTC it never made sense. Tax in my opinion should be a flat rate based on total income. Not hey I bought two cars so let me write off 3K in sales tax, all the interest on my home loan, interest on student loans, lost my ass in the stock market, etc. I know I'm probably way off on my thoughts but it makes more sense and is less confusing. Its baffling that people on state and fed assistance who don't work a day get several thousands back in return every year.

OK end rant..haha

jesse3638

Hooked

Or maybe we could impose a $0.01 tax on each round of ammunition sold in the USA every year. That would gross about $120 million in tax revenue given the estimated 12 Billion rounds sold each year. Add a minuscule $10 tax to each firearm sale and you would gross well over another $170 million. $300 million is a lot of money.

According to the National Center for Education Statistics, there were about 98,271 public schools in 2013-2014. That $300 million in tax revenues would gross about $3,052.78 per public school per year...which isn't enough to do squat. While the thought of arming schools is interesting to discuss, I can't help but think the relative cost of doing so on a widespread, national basis compared to the statistical likelihood of a mass school shooting just doesn't support that type of financial investment.

Dollars and cents are crazy and the lines which need to be crossed in order to effect change is crazier. If common sense and humility prevailed phrases like "Money is the root of all evil" and "Money makes the world go 'round" wouldn't exist. OK I'm rambling now I'll stick to reading and keeping these ideas to myself..haha

FallonJeeper

I'm also, not sure what the answer is. But, at least were having the conversation.

Also, not sure if arming teachers is the answer. Most of the teachers I know, can barely handle the students on a daily basis, let alone an active shooter situation. But... I would rather they stood a fighting chance, any chance, rather than just being a victim.

From what I understand from Supreme Court rulings and statements from law enforcement agencies, law enforcement has no legal obligation to protect you.

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sharkey

Word Ninja
From what I understand from Supreme Court rulings and statements from law enforcement agencies, law enforcement has no legal obligation to protect you.

...generally speaking, you are absolutely correct. There are circumstances where they can create reliance and a legal duty to act, but this probably isn’t one of them.

The typical example is that you can’t sue because you call 911 and the line is busy. If you call, they answer, and they promise to show up and help, then it can be a different result.

That said, I guarantee some of these parents will sue the sheriff’s department and school district.

FallonJeeper

Absolutely. It's gong to be a spectacle.

Another thing I hear, and heard it myself when I went through the academy was "we always go home at the end of our shift". I always took that with a grain of salt. Having also been in the military at 17, I basically grew up knowing that my purpose was service to others. I've risked my life more than a few times in the normal performance of my duties.

I think the officers living by this ideal may actually, for lack of other words, paralyze themselves to the point of being ineffective. I know that there are a lot of LEOs that put it all on the line. I salute them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

TrailHunter

Hooked
Oh man. Very intense. I’ve been to a few of Lt Col Grossman’s seminars. Auditoriums packed with a couple hundred in attendance and you could hear a pin drop.

I finished the audio book... Whats crazy is I’ve always felt this way about media, games and the effects on kids... but when I hear it presented scientifically like that, it really makes so much sense. And the intense realism in todays entertainment is undeniable.... Our culture without a doubt, glorifies violence. I’m not saying it’s the sole cause of these mass murders, but it’s playing a role for sure.... It all comes down to good parenting and moderation.

Thanks again for the recommendation... going to start the other book you mentioned.. [emoji1360]

TrailHunter

Hooked
Came across this article.... just an example of where our freedoms could be headed... and proof that evil will find a way no matter how many laws are passed.

“London has seen a dramatic uptick in murder rates, surpassing even New York City in the number of homicides every month since the beginning of 2018. It has some of the strictest gun control laws in the world, and, technically, knives carried "without good reason" are off limits to anyone under the age of 18.”

https://www.dailywire.com/news/29179/londons-mayor-declares-intense-new-knife-control-emily-zanotti

Draconianwinter

How about parents actually being parents instead of friends to their kids? Kid gets out of line put them over your knee like they used too. Or maybe make murder illegal? Oh wait it already is. Like it or not murder has went on for thousands of years. Not one single law ever written has prevented this. If person wishes to commit a crime they will do so. You cannot stop it, at best you can clean up the mess afterwards. Banning or even making it harder to come by will not fix anything at all. All it had ever done was make black market sales go up. If history teaches us anything, it is that government involvement never ends well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638

Hooked
How about parents actually being parents instead of friends to their kids? Kid gets out of line put them over your knee like they used too. Or maybe make murder illegal? Oh wait it already is. Like it or not murder has went on for thousands of years. Not one single law ever written has prevented this. If person wishes to commit a crime they will do so. You cannot stop it, at best you can clean up the mess afterwards. Banning or even making it harder to come by will not fix anything at all. All it had ever done was make black market sales go up. If history teaches us anything, it is that government involvement never ends well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using WAYALIFE mobile app
This should be common sense but unfortunately it's not. The political ads being shown in CA right now are just so skewed. Since when is your campaign based on fighting the POTUS? Just more fuel to get the fuck out of here.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom