Recent Shooting and Discussion

Brute

Hooked
c) a 12 ga pump with seven rounds and a pocket full of shells....

Roger that...no one would wish he had an AR type weapon...simply due to amount of rounds and effective range of accuracy combined.

I’m not for banning any weapon, including AR’s...but maybe we need to revisit how easily people can acquire certain weapons. The time for measured, cogent discussion on this is long past due...and if we can reverse the trend of increasing deaths due to firearms, it is time well spent.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
If you were in a field in Gilroy with your six yo child, running away from him as fast as you can carry your boy, would you rather he have a) an AR with a 30 rnd mag and a bunch of mags strapped to his chest, b) a Glock 9mm with six extra mags, c) a 12 ga pump with seven rounds and a pocket full of shells or d) a bolt action 30.06 with a handful of shells in his pocket.

The police response time at Gilroy was around sixty seconds when they engaged the shooter before they put him down...in sixty seconds he ended the life of three people, and changed the quality of life of 12...

Not a) or d). The decision between b) and c) would depend largely on how far away I was at the start. I get your point though.

Roger that...no one would wish he had an AR type weapon...simply due to amount of rounds and effective range of accuracy combined.

I’m not for banning any weapon, including AR’s...but maybe we need to revisit how easily people can acquire certain weapons. The time for measured, cogent discussion on this is long past due...and if we can reverse the trend of increasing deaths due to firearms, it is time well spent.

Agreed.

Edwrds

Caught the Bug
What do you consider a mental illness? Pretty sure the majority is the upbringing. Mental illnesses have been around a long time probably longer than firearms.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Brute

Hooked
Not a) or d). The decision between b) and c) would depend largely on how far away I was at the start. I get your point though.

Agreed.

The reason I put the bolt action rifle last was because I was under the pretense that I was in the field with a lot of other people, like what happened in Gilroy...if I was the only person in the field, I may have placed it first...especially if it was scoped. Specific target acquisition is not a priority to a mass shooter, but having the most amount of rounds one could send downrange in the least amount of time is...

Sharkey

Word Ninja
The reason I put the bolt action rifle last was because I was under the pretense that I was in the field with a lot of other people, like what happened in Gilroy...if I was the only person in the field, I may have placed it first...especially if it was scoped. Specific target acquisition is not a priority to a mass shooter, but having the most amount of rounds one could send downrange in the least amount of time is...

A lot of modern bolt-action rifles (including the .30-06) have detachable magazines. At 30 yards or less, I'd probably rather take the hit from the 9mm than the 12 gauge but I know that is ignorant of the point of your post.

Doing nothing is not doing something...and we have done nothing for too long. Until we can figure out how to get people to actually care about each other, and have some respect for human life, we have to look at whether there are other viable solutions to lessen the impact of crazy.

TrailHunter

Hooked

Doing nothing is not doing something...and we have done nothing for too long. Until we can figure out how to get people to actually care about each other, and have some respect for human life, we have to look at whether there are other viable solutions to lessen the impact of crazy.

My point is there are plenty of Firearms that can do serious damage quickly besides the AR or AK type. Banning one or two will do nothing.

But lets just say: You BAN ALL high powered Semi-Auto Rifles... Then the only firearm a citizen can purchase fairly quickly and cheaply is a Revolver. All Semi Autos will require extensive and expensive training, background checks, medical exams and long waiting periods.

How the Hypothetical above won't stop Mass Murders:
1. All High Powered Rifles will not disappear even under mass confiscation.
2. Crazy Fucks will still take the time, money, training to acquire the Semi-Auto rifles or handguns.
3. Criminals won't turn theirs in.
4. More training with Revolvers.
5. Home made Bombs.
6. Vehicles.

Crazy will always Adapt.

Hypotheticals are weird. I know I wouldn’t want to be in a field with ME behind a shot gun.

Not to mention what if he had a high capacity (25 round) shotgun?
Just saying.

Last night sucked....

Leeboy03

Maybe there should be tougher gun laws put in place. Maybe that way, the next time something like this happens people won’t be able to blame it on gun laws and actually try to come up with a solution that will help. Like said above, crazy will always adapt. And no, I’m not against tougher gun laws. It won’t stop me from buying them. I just honestly don’t think it will help.

WJCO

Meme King
This recent shooting was in California? Wow, didn't realize their gun laws were so lax there. Yeah, they should totally make their gun laws stricter.

Brute

Hooked
My point is there are plenty of Firearms that can do serious damage quickly besides the AR or AK type. Banning one or two will do nothing.

But lets just say: You BAN ALL high powered Semi-Auto Rifles... Then the only firearm a citizen can purchase fairly quickly and cheaply is a Revolver. All Semi Autos will require extensive and expensive training, background checks, medical exams and long waiting periods.

How the Hypothetical above won't stop Mass Murders:
1. All High Powered Rifles will not disappear even under mass confiscation.
2. Crazy Fucks will still take the time, money, training to acquire the Semi-Auto rifles or handguns.
3. Criminals won't turn theirs in.
4. More training with Revolvers.
5. Home made Bombs.
6. Vehicles.

Crazy will always Adapt.

Again...I’m not for banning...just make it harder for idiots to acquire...we need people smarter than myself to find solutions to the problem...if we continue to do exactly what we are doing now, it only will get worse...and it’s getting worse.

Perspective is everything; I used to be against the seat belt law...I felt it was an infringement on my personal rights; I should have the right to determine whether or not I want to risk my own life by wearing (or not) a seat belt...until I attended the funeral of a friend who was killed in an accident after he went through the front windshield.

When it’s you throwing the first handful of dirt on your child’s casket, perhaps you might reconsider...

kellyk

Obviously there is no one perfect answer, that is why we must find the best common ground solution possible. More and better education about firearms and how to properly handle them as well as extended background and mental health checks. I don’t have a problem with that at all. But some good old life lessons from mom and dad wouldn’t hurt either. The point I think some are missing is that kids these days don’t understand that there are repercussions for their words and their actions. If they aren’t taught this when they are young then guess what happens when they grow up and don’t get their way? Maybe not a shooting but they act out like nothing will happen to them because they are the person in life that matters in their mind.

TrailHunter

Hooked
Again...I’m not for banning...just make it harder for idiots to acquire...we need people smarter than myself to find solutions to the problem...if we continue to do exactly what we are doing now, it only will get worse...and it’s getting worse.

Perspective is everything; I used to be against the seat belt law...I felt it was an infringement on my personal rights; I should have the right to determine whether or not I want to risk my own life by wearing (or not) a seat belt...until I attended the funeral of a friend who was killed in an accident after he went through the front windshield.

When it’s you throwing the first handful of dirt on your child’s casket, perhaps you might reconsider...

I'm just looking at it from all angles... and I don't disagree with you or Sharkey. I'm willing to participate in solutions that actually work.

Last edited:
Top Bottom