regrets?

MTG

Caught the Bug
I only regret the extra $4,500 I paid for the 3.8L High Ouput Performance Engine package :sigh: My dealer said the 3.8L H.O.P.E. package was extremely limited and only offered though their dealership the week I was purchasing. I just don't know if all that extra power I paid for is all that noticeable :thinking: At least I will make all that money back when I trade it in, since it's so limited of an option ;)

I thought it was the Hope and Change package and only available in 2008? :idontknow:

MTG

Caught the Bug
I sold an LOD bumper last year after running it for 8 months or so before going to a EVO tire carrier. Always wait and buy what you want the first time.

Also, the bolt on coil overs came out only a few months after I put my lift on. Not that I would have liked spending any more money than I did at the time, but with the benefit of hindsight I may have.

GCM 2

On a serious note of regrets, here's my actual list:

-Goodyear 40" MTR/K's. A terrible tire to try an balance, almost a completely egg shaped set of tires. Super thin sidewalls too :icon_crazy:

-Teraflex 3.0" short arm lift. Terrible ride quality, no real increase in performance on the trail, pretty much just a mediocre lift that is very pricey.

-Teraflex rear RockGuard bumper and tire carrier. Bumper was extremely heavy and big, but the swing away tire carrier was just absolutely ridiculously noisy, squeaky, and full of rattles. Hell, if you looked at that tire carrier too long it would squeak. I never trusted it on the trail to stay closed or even stay attached to the bumper. Worst tire carrier ever!

-AEV Pintler wheels. Too much backspacing, powder coating looks pretty but flakes away with any minor (talking really light here) impact. The finish just chips away with any serious trail use. Cracks in the wheel centers and spokes, returned two to the mfg for replacement and then sold the entire set of five for nothing.

-Best Top bikin top (model for use without door surrounds). Tore two straps from the canvas top while setting top up in 100 degree weather, so it did not need to "lay out, heat up,and stretch". Crap, just pure crap

Last edited:

JKbrick

I'm pretty sure I could double my money, my dealership is always sending me emails and flyers in the mail wanting me to trade in for a newer model. I'm pretty sure they just want to take advantage of my killer 3.8L H.O.P.E. package.

Greg maybe they will bring out a DREAMS package next year and if you keep HOPE you could have both at the same time

David1tontj

At least I will make all that money back when I trade it in, since it's so limited of an option ;)

I'll give you the dealers trade in value plus 500 bucks for your jk! I know, I know, its tempting... Just give me a call when you're ready to get rid of that poor old jeep.. :)

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

Dune Crawler

On a serious note of regrets, here's my actual list:

-Goodyear 40" MTR/K's. A terrible tire to try an balance, almost a completely egg shaped set of tires. Super thin sidewalls too :icon_crazy:

-Teraflex 3.0" short arm lift. Terrible ride quality, no real increase in performance on the trail, pretty much just a mediocre lift that is very pricey.

-Teraflex rear RockGuard bumper and tire carrier. Bumper was extremely heavy and big, but the swing away tire carrier was just absolutely ridiculously noisy, squeaky, and full of rattles. Hell, if you looked at that tire carrier too long it would squeak. I never trusted it on the trail to stay closed or even stay attached to the bumper. Worst tire carrier ever!

-AEV Pintler wheels. Too much backspacing, powder coating looks pretty but flakes away with any minor (talking really light here) impact. The finish just chips away with any serious trail use. Cracks in the wheel centers and spokes, returned two to the mfg for replacement and then sold the entire set of five for nothing.

-Best Top bikin top (model for use without door surrounds). Tore two straps from the canvas top while setting top up in 100 degree weather, so it did not need to "lay out, heat up,and stretch". Crap, just pure crap

On a serious note...I had a blast reading your account info! haha the farther I read the more entertaining it got.

Hightower

My RIPP supercharger & service! I am sure it works great but not on Megan she hated the thing but hands down my biggest regret is some of the places I took Megan for service. Small example my window wippers would go off when I keyed my CB that kind of quality work!

Driver driver GAS!
WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

nvglockster

I regret buying Truck Lite headlights. Should have tried to meet up with some forum members first. Can't stand the x and y pattern they have. I feel I paid a premium price for a product that has a few issues. They'll be up for sale soon, when I decide on replacements.

GCM 2

On a serious note...I had a blast reading your account info! haha the farther I read the more entertaining it got.

All of it is a true story, 100% factual ;)

My RIPP supercharger & service! I am sure it works great but not on Megan she hated the thing but hands down my biggest regret is some of the places I took Megan for service. Small example my window wippers would go off when I keyed my CB that kind of quality work!

Driver driver GAS!
WAYALIFE mobile app

I remember you almost did not make the start of the 2011 JK Experience because of your RIPP issues :icon_crazy:

locrwln

LoD tire carrier. For the price I paid, it's been a let down. I would take it off and replace it in a heartbeat, but I plan on selling the Jeep later this year and it just wouldn't be worth the cost to replace it.

Which version and what don't you like about it? I am torn between buying the "Expedition" version or having a local fabricator build exactly what I want. Just curious about your thoughts.

Jack

Hightower

All of it is a true story, 100% factual ;)

I remember you almost did not make the start of the 2011 JK Experience because of your RIPP issues :icon_crazy:

Greg I remember that was well lol. :eek: But the community came together on that one to help me Rob from Nemesis calls me after my SOS email and sends me to a RIPP competitor in Colorado Springs to fix the problems. the owner of the competitor fixs my jeep for free and gives extra injectors in case I have any more problems. That story was my first experience with the incredible family that is the Jeep world..: :thumb:

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
Regrets???
- Teraflex 2.5" BB
- Teraflex 4" lift
- BFG KM2 tires
- Bestop bumpers
- everything I bought made by Smittybilt (except the tube doors)
- Currie rear sway bar

Just remember two things - begin with the end in mind and It's expensive to be cheap.

Latitude25

I regret buying my Jeep from the dealer in my town. I was lied to, ripped off, and had to deal with a level of incompetence that I've never seen before in my life (sales dept, service dept, AND parts dept). And I'm an former new car dealership employee (10 years). Oh and by the way, Jeep Customer Service is powerless to do anything about their dealers... they will talk to you on the phone, listen to your complaints, and then call the dealer (so they said), but the dealer is not required to obey anything they say. The dealers don't seem to take them seriously. Finally after three months of fighting with that dealer, and dozens of phone calls to Jeep Customer Service, I got tired of getting nowhere and gave up. I don't even want to go into any more details than this - it'll just make me mad again, and I'd rather think happy thoughts and concentrate on enjoying my Jeep instead of thinking about my whole buying experience.

One month after purchasing my JKUR, my wife wanted a JK Unlimited Sport, and the dealer (different one of course) where we bought hers was AWESOME! In fact, one more month after that, she wanted to upgrade from the Sport to a Sahara and they were awesome AGAIN! So that's TWO new vehicle sales that my dealer could have gotten from us, but there was no chance we were going back there. I wish I had gone there first... :doh:

Yeahright

I regret not trying harder to migrate from Australia to the US, I would love to live in the US but it really hard for a family to migrate, in fact it is nearly impossible unless you can get sponsorship by a big company, but If the opportunity unity arose I would give it a go, and then buying my JK over there. Not exactly a regret with my jeep, but it's jeep related.

Last edited:

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Regrets???
- Teraflex 2.5" BB
- Teraflex 4" lift
- BFG KM2 tires
- Bestop bumpers
- everything I bought made by Smittybilt (except the tube doors)
- Currie rear sway bar

Just remember two things - begin with the end in mind and It's expensive to be cheap.

very true!
speaking of your smitty doors, wife wants some and cant decide between them or the rancho.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
a few of my girlfriends....and the house I bought.....oh wait jeep purchases.

Front and rear adjustable trackbars, should have just gotten the brackets and stayed with oem
Teraflex 2.5" lift ( swapped over to plush rides so wish I would have just gotten the enforcer in the beggining)
Hella Lights ( should have just gotten led in the beginning)
Hi-lift jack (heavy and never gets used or really even works)
Jack mount (waste of money since I upgraded to a genright carrier)
Strike force half doors (loved them, but wanted uppers and they didnt have any at the time)

Also not ordering my jk with half doors and probably should have gotten a 4 door instead.

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
very true!
speaking of your smitty doors, wife wants some and cant decide between them or the rancho.

I really like the smittybilt. The lines are good and they are my favorite tube doors by far. Its the only thing shittybilt worth buying.

Dune Crawler

a few of my girlfriends....and the house I bought.....oh wait jeep purchases.

Front and rear adjustable trackbars, should have just gotten the brackets and stayed with oem
Teraflex 2.5" lift ( swapped over to plush rides so wish I would have just gotten the enforcer in the beggining)
Hella Lights ( should have just gotten led in the beginning)
Hi-lift jack (heavy and never gets used or really even works)
Jack mount (waste of money since I upgraded to a genright carrier)
Strike force half doors (loved them, but wanted uppers and they didnt have any at the time)

Also not ordering my jk with half doors and probably should have gotten a 4 door instead.

What size coil did you get for the enforcer? Seen your build thread and love the stance of your jeep

Life's a beach

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Not getting a 4 door, buying my 14 jk he week they hit the show room, and not waiting for the willys, buying off the show room floor and not custom ordering.

I opted to order instead of buying off the showroom floor. The Willys was an option to get, but after crunching numbers, the extra cost wasnt worth what you get for me. Wheels and tires would be swapped out, Rubi suspension would be gone, I would basically have stickers and rock rails left. I ordered a JKU with all the same options as the Willys (connectivity, 3.73 gears, Trac Loc, Slush mats, etc) for conciderably less. Just a thought.:idontknow:

Top Bottom