Reinforced stock axle vs Dynatrac/Tera44/G2 etc

SPOOOBY

Im sure you are correct,but in his case would save him a ton of money,and be still plenty strong,of-course a pro-rock would be would be the best thing

If your not living and having fun,your dead already

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I know they are beefey,and strong,that comparison didn't-include truss, but agree the c would still be the weak link compared to pro rock

I must be dead because I don't comprehend a single thing in your quoted post.

J

JKDream

Im sure you are correct,but in his case would save him a ton of money,and be still plenty strong,of-course a pro-rock would be would be the best thing

He should just bend it back to straight imo.
Sleeves are a waste of money, these housings bend at the differential.
A truss is more helpful, but most people can't get them on without warping the shit out of the housing anyway.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
A pro-rock 44 is about same strength as a sleeved , trussed and upper and lower inner c gusset all combined

Sorry, not even close.

You're assuming that a bent axle is worth trying to straightened or can be done properly at all. You could spend all that time and money and still have a jacked up axle that leaks and then you'd have to start all over again with something new. I have seen more bent axle housings BECAUSE of a truss being installed than not. But hey, that's just me.

J

JKDream

Sorry, not even close.

You're assuming that a bent axle is worth trying to straightened or can be done properly at all. You could spend all that time and money and still have a jacked up axle that leaks and then you'd have to start all over again with something new. I have seen more bent axle housings BECAUSE of a truss being installed than not. But hey, that's just me.

Not trying to start a flame war whatsoever. It can be straightened fairly easily with the jig posted previously.
It worked for me, and I haven't had any reoccurring issues. I agree that trusses can bend the shit out of your axle while welding.
That's why you need to pre-load them. These are just my experiences from the same issue he had.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Not trying to start a flame war whatsoever. It can be straightened fairly easily with the jig posted previously.
It worked for me, and I haven't had any reoccurring issues. I agree that trusses can bend the shit out of your axle while welding.
That's why you need to pre-load them. These are just my experiences from the same issue he had.

Clearly, YOU are a capable individual and that's great. Since it seems to have been missed, I am NOT saying that it can't be done and I would be the first to say that a jig as shown is the ONLY way you should attempt to install a truss (but even with that, I have STILL seen bent axles from having a truss installed). What I am saying is that the guy lives in GERMANY, a place where Jeeps are NOT that common. I might be way off base here but I have a feeling that they don't have the kind of shops with the know how that we have here and I don't think the OP is proficient in these kinds of tasks. All I am trying to do is help this guy based on where he's located and what he most likely has available to him.

SPOOOBY

If i had the money id go pro rock,but i don't, that is why i suggested an alternative, i do agree with you

J

JKDream

Clearly, YOU are a capable individual and that's great. Since it seems to have been missed, I am NOT saying that it can't be done and I would be the first to say that a jig as shown is the ONLY way you should attempt to install a truss (but even with that, I have STILL seen bent axles from having a truss installed). What I am saying is that the guy lives in GERMANY, a place where Jeeps are NOT that common. I might be way off base here but I have a feeling that they don't have the kind of shops with the know how that we have here and I don't think the OP is proficient in these kinds of tasks. All I am trying to do is help this guy based on where he's located and what he most likely has available to him.

Point understood, like I said I am not trying to start a flame war. If OP feels he is confident in taking the route I did, then I just wanted to provide him the option/knowledge that it can be done.

CrazyLarry

I wish I was in Germany right now. All those drunken octoberfest blondes with big tits shaking their fat asses. That would be very entertaining the hell with jeeps hehe

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If i had the money id go pro rock,but i don't, that is why i suggested an alternative, i do agree with you

And, that's why I recommend people NOT waste any money on a factory axle. Better to just play with what you've got and save that money until you can afford to buy a real upgrade. For as much as it costs to buy sleeves, gussets and a truss and have it all welded on (assuming you can't do it yourself), you're way on your way to a ProRock 44. From what I've seen over the last 10 years, MOST people will never even need anything at all.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Point understood, like I said I am not trying to start a flame war. If OP feels he is confident in taking the route I did, then I just wanted to provide him the option/knowledge that it can be done.

It's all good. Even though it "can" be done, I personally wouldn't recommend it to anyone who doesn't already know it's an option.

Mitch

I wish I was in Germany right now. All those drunken octoberfest blondes with big tits shaking their fat asses. That would be very entertaining the hell with jeeps hehe

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

We can swap......... I´d rather go to Vegas or Florida at some party.......
Or....join Army/Air Force, here are some Jeep clubs from US soldiers. Actually it was on of their events when iI broke the JK

And, that's why I recommend people NOT waste any money on a factory axle. Better to just play with what you've got and save that money until you can afford to buy a real upgrade. For as much as it costs to buy sleeves, gussets and a truss and have it all welded on (assuming you can't do it yourself), you're way on your way to a ProRock 44. From what I've seen over the last 10 years, MOST people will never even need anything at all.

I hate to spend all the money on the Jeep. There are another projects waiting on budget...... But it is doable. The chart was very interesting. I thought a sleeved housing is stronger. But I think whether it´s a Prorock, Tera44, G2 they will be all in the 2.x range......
As I have the sleeves already (shop sent it wrongly and didn´t take it back) it wouldn´t be at an extra cost and the C gussets is a must. So welding on a new housing is necessary anyway.

But this low strength ratings are a killer.

Straitening the old axle....... interesting pix and of course makes sense. Although this is the stuff our HSE guys at work always warns us........ But as I have to do it in the driveway and winter is coming and with an uncertain result........ I think thanks, but no thanks........

I would go for a HD axle but this shipping and specially custom fees is a killer. Can´t TTIP come earlier and does any good for the small people.........
Or my colleague in Naperville email me and tell me he needs to send me some stuff for our department.......

First I will look now for Dynatrac if they have a housing which takes Rubicon stock locker. this would be interesting.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
First I will look now for Dynatrac if they have a housing which takes Rubicon stock locker. this would be interesting.

It's what we're running on our Dozer JK now - a ProRock 44 with our old Rubicon locker and shafts swapped into it. Makes it a lot more affordable to do.

Mitch

It's what we're running on our Dozer JK now - a ProRock 44 with our old Rubicon locker and shafts swapped into it. Makes it a lot more affordable to do.

Yes, specially if you have to import all stuff. Or pay the German prices.
I think new locker, onboard air in any form and shafts ? Would at least be $2300 extra.
Dealers have become smart and make a price just a few $ above the price of importing it yourself........ I don´t know who makes alle the money here, as we have a quite similar income range at least before taxes. But almost all things are so overpriced........
And shops wonder why no one buys stuff anymore. ok, enough criticism on life here.......

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Didn't know this was an option. So you basically just get larger gear housing, ie bigger pinion?

LOL!! Yeah, it's how it was originally introduced so that guys could save a ton of money upgrading to a TRUE 44 axle housing with significantly thicker 3" tubes, beefy as hell end forgings, built in 6° of caster and a profiled pumpkin that offers tons of ground clearance. Most guys just use the opportunity to upgrade their locker and shafts and that's why you don't hear about it much.

EDIT: what WJCO said :D

DWiggles

Caught the Bug

:eek:
Being that the material Yielded (PERMANENT deformation I.E. "Bent"); the assembly is now weaker as a whole. Just FYI. you can add all the bracing you want, but the material where it bent is already compromised and there is no bringing it back. It is simple Material Mechanics.

Top Bottom