Reinforced stock axle vs Dynatrac/Tera44/G2 etc

Ddays

Hooked
A pro-rock 44 is about same strength as a sleeved , trussed and upper and lower inner c gusset all combined

I know they are beefey,and strong,that comparison didn't-include truss, but agree the c would still be the weak link compared to pro rock

Im sure you are correct,but in his case would save him a ton of money,and be still plenty strong,of-course a pro-rock would be would be the best thing

If i had the money id go pro rock,but i don't, that is why i suggested an alternative, i do agree with you

:thinking:

To borrow Sharkeys poem from a couple days ago:

Roses are red
Violets are blue

I am a schizophrenic
And so am I

J

JKDream

:eek:
Being that the material Yielded (PERMANENT deformation I.E. "Bent"); the assembly is now weaker as a whole. Just FYI. you can add all the bracing you want, but the material where it bent is already compromised and there is no bringing it back. It is simple Material Mechanics.

While this is true, I'm going to have to disagree with you.
The tube itself in most cases is not bent, it has shifted inside the differential, in result is technically still "straight".
If the tube bends anywhere outside of the differential, then yes you are correct it has lost a significant amount of strength.
Because of the design, most axles that are "bent" have actually had this shift happen, and can be repaired without weakening the design.
If you look at a factory axle, opposed to say a Prorock, you'll see that where the tubes press into the housing has a more significant gap (can't really describe this) than a Prorock.
That is partially why they bend at the housing easily. The only issue you will have bending them back is breaking the plug welds, which likely already happened when it shifted.

IMG_0382.jpg

Do you see how there is a small gap between the actual tube and the housing it is pressed into?
That is enough to cause an axle seal to leak when the tube has shifted.

DSC02239.jpg

Versus this, where there is no gap and the tube is not able to shift without bending in the middle.

Attachments

• ProRock-44-for-JK_1.jpg
    ProRock-44-for-JK_1.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 124
Last edited by a moderator:
J

JKDream

Could you explain me wich are the typically situation in that an axle could be bended?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

It's usually speed that does it.
They're quite weak in normal form to begin with, they used too small of a tube for such a heavy vehicle when they were produced.
You won't typically bend it rock crawling, but going fast through the desert etc will, or a heavy hit on a rock you didn't see etc.
I have heard some have actually came bent from factory from shippers strapping the vehicles down too hard on their freight trucks.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
They're quite weak in normal form to begin with, they used too small of a tube for such a heavy vehicle when they were produced.
You won't typically bend it rock crawling, but going fast through the desert etc will, or a heavy hit on a rock you didn't see etc.
I have heard some have actually came bent from factory from shippers strapping the vehicles down too hard on their freight trucks.

The OP clearly stated that he bent his axle by jumping his Jeep. I think it'd be a stretch to suggest that his tubes just shifted in the diff.

Watch WAYALIFE YouTube Videos
WAYALIFE Jeeps & Specs

J

JKDream

The OP clearly stated that he bent his axle by jumping his Jeep. I think it'd be a stretch to suggest that his tubes just shifted in the diff.

WAYALIFE Jeeps & Specs

I wasn't posting in regards to the OP, I was directly replying to DWiggles.
The post you quoted me on, and the post you are replying to are two different subjects.
I would assume you would have to be going fast to jump a jeep.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I wasn't posting in regards to the OP, I was directly replying to DWiggles.
The post you quoted me on, and the post you are replying to are two different subjects.
I would assume you would have to be going fast to jump a jeep.

LOL!! Yeah, I got that you were responding to DWiggles but unlike the tangent you went on, he WAS talking about the BEND the OP said he had after jumping his Jeep. You're the one who went off on a tangent and started talking about tubes shifting in the diff. That is a different subject for sure and I think DWiggles just assumed you were in the same page as the rest of us.

WAYALIFE Jeeps & Specs

J

JKDream

LOL!! Yeah, I got that you were responding to DWiggles but unlike the tangent you went on, he WAS talking about the BEND the OP said he had after jumping his Jeep. You're the one who went off on a tangent and started talking about tubes shifting in the diff. That is a different subject for sure and I think DWiggles just assumed you were in the same page as the rest of us.

WAYALIFE Jeeps & Specs

I am on the same page as you.
From the wording on his post "Just FYI. you can add all the bracing you want, but the material where it bent is already compromised and there is no bringing it back. It is simple Material Mechanics." I assumed he was referring to my truss.
OP stated he jumped "whoops" on a track, I don't know if I'd exactly consider that jumping his Jeep. If he actually got all four tires off the ground, I'd be hard pressed to think the only issue afterwards would be a leaking axle seal.
Which is partly why I mentioned tubes shifting. I'm assuming the OP ended up bouncing through them similar to what you would see on a dirtbike track.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I am on the same page as you.
From the wording on his post "Just FYI. you can add all the bracing you want, but the material where it bent is already compromised and there is no bringing it back. It is simple Material Mechanics." I assumed he was referring to my truss.
OP stated he went over "whoops" on a track, I'd barely define that as jumping his Jeep. If he truly jumped his jeep, he would be having more issues than an axle seal leaking, which goes back to my point regarding a tube shift.

LOL!! Clearly, you are wanting to argue just for the sake of not looking silly and that's cool. Being that this is the OP's thread, I read what he said as a response to you suggesting that the OP could just straighten his axle and truss it. But hey, that's just me.

Regarding the OP, i suppose you would know better than anyone what he was doing, how fast he was going and how much many more issues he'd have if he "truly" jumped his Jeep. Me, I'm just a nobody and can only go off what he said and to that, I'll leave the expert opinions to you. [emoji41]

WAYALIFE Jeeps & Specs

J

JKDream

LOL!! Clearly, you are wanting to argue just for the sake of not looking silly and that's cool. Being that this is the OP's thread, I read what he said as a response to you suggesting that the OP could just straighten his axle and truss it. But hey, that's just me.

Regarding the OP, i suppose you would know better than anyone what he was doing, how fast he was going and how much many more issues he'd have if he "truly" jumped his Jeep. Me, I'm just a nobody and can only go off what he said and to that, I'll leave the expert opinions to you. [emoji41]

WAYALIFE Jeeps & Specs

I'm not trying to argue with you whatsoever, this is a forum where we share opinions/experiences and that's what I did.
I didn't tell the OP to truss his axle, I simply showed him that it can be repaired if he doesn't feel the need to spend money on a new housing.
You quoted my original post prior to it being edited, which I realize I worded incorrectly hence the edit.
I don't have an "expert opinion" nor do I claim to. I stated experiences I have seen with bent axles.
You likely know more than I do. I have been in OP's situation, hence why I replied.

jeeeep

Hooked
First I will look now for Dynatrac if they have a housing which takes Rubicon stock locker. this would be interesting.

They make the PR44 that takes the stock e-locker, that's what I'm running now with 37's :thumb:

Guascone

Thanks!
Someone of you speak about driving bombing through the desert...in terms of speed, what they means? 40/50/70 mph?
I driven few time with my old defender trough the Marocco desert and the maximum speed reached was 50 mph...:(

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks!
Someone of you speak about driving bombing through the desert...in terms of speed, what they means? 40/50/70 mph?
I driven few time with my old defender trough the Marocco desert and the maximum speed reached was 50 mph...:(

Depends on the terrain. Out in the Mojave and Great Basin Deserts of the west, this could be dry river washes that are sandy and with visible and hidden rocks buried just under the surface. It could be long stretches of old prospecting routes that are rutted out and rocky or lined with knee high whoops or bigger for miles and miles on end. And, it can also be sand dunes as well. In each of these situations, 30 mph can feel like breakneck speeds on your Jeep whereas in others, it might be 70+. Whatever the case might be, it just takes one unexpected or unavoidable hit to cause an axle tube to bend on a JK. This is NOT the same thing as an axle tube breaking free of their plug welds and twisting in the diff housing, which can happen too. Of course, over the last 10 years, I have seen JK axles bend from hitting an unexpected pothole too fast too.

JAGS

Hooked
Depends on the terrain. Out in the Mojave and Great Basin Deserts of the west, this could be dry river washes that are sandy and with visible and hidden rocks buried just under the surface. It could be long stretches of old prospecting routes that are rutted out and rocky or lined with knee high whoops or bigger for miles and miles on end. And, it can also be sand dunes as well. In each of these situations, 30 mph can feel like breakneck speeds on your Jeep whereas in others, it might be 70+. Whatever the case might be, it just takes one unexpected or unavoidable hit to cause an axle tube to bend on a JK. This is NOT the same thing as an axle tube breaking free of their plug welds and twisting in the diff housing, which can happen too. Of course, over the last 10 years, I have seen JK axles bend from hitting an unexpected pothole too fast too.

Some guys ONLY go 100+ because they love Baja so much. Blah blah blah....Mel.....

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Some guys ONLY go 100+ because they love Baja so much. Blah blah blah....Mel.....

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Yeah, but those guys don't have anything in front of their grill that would restrict air flow - blah blah blah MEL :cheesy:

Guascone

Wow! There should be amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Mitch

Hu, 2 days ill and lot of posts.

So I think the speed was somewhat around 30-50mph Can´t really say cause long time ago, auto and don´t know which gear and so on.

Now it´s difficult to say. We don´t have such awesome nature to wheel. We have a couple of parks and that´s it. Steep climbs and deep mud puddles. Haven´t seen a lot of rocks here.
Sö from this point not such a risk to do this again. On the other hand, if on any event they say we take time on this course........ it´s dangerous. Beeing an (Ex) racing driver it always means pedal to the metal......
In this case I did the mistake not to look at the whole course and thought yeah from here on it looks flat so........ push the last hundreds meters.......

There is an event at a beach in the Netherlands. Same there, if you can go fast......do it.

So it would make sense to get an better axle. If a reinforced stock doesn´t make sense I´ll go for a Dyntrac or Tera44.
I can spend the money on that. Only thing if I go this big I directly want to continue with regearing, bigger tires, and hydraulic bumpstops. So going going for a aftermarket axle means much more than just the costs for the axle.
And doing it all at the same time would make sense, so you don´t pay the labor for this twice.
But that´s my problem but might help to understand why I´m so unsure.....

Or I do it by myself as a project for 2017........

Top Bottom