wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
There will be mud Neil...enjoy it. ;)

From the last time we ran it :icon_crazy:

main.php

benatc1

Hooked
yea I'm expecting plenty of mud but it's supposed to get pretty cold so maybe some of the ground will freeze however it's going to be a messy trip. as much as mud sucks it all comes off eventually

Sent from my SM-G928V using WAYALIFE mobile app

benatc1

Hooked
Everybody good for tomorrow? elevation isn't to high out there except some of the peaks so i don't expect much snow out that way, but will still be a fun day either way!

benatc1

Hooked
was a chilling moring, had to warm the jeep up nice before I headed out 20161217_063145.jpg
after meeting up with FiresJK, NevadaZielmeister, Robs_Red_JK, and Daniel we headed out to the Nightingale mountain via pyramid lake.
20161217_082842.jpg 20161217_083812.jpg
after airing down were of for our adventure. Plan was to work our way into Winnemucca lake and then up coyote canyon to check out nightingale mine then work our way back down another canyon then head over to school bus canyon 20161217_092933.jpg 20161217_100350.jpg 20161217_101634.jpg I guess I didn't take any pictures of the mine, sure the other guys did.

we missed the road that would take us back down the way we wanted but NevadaZielmeister did a bit of scouting and once I got a map to load we found a connecting route across the top of the ridge

20161217_113154.jpg 20161217_113544.jpg 20161217_115150.jpg
and back down to Winnemucca lake we were.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like you had a great time and wish we could have joined you guys. Awesome pics especially with the dusting of snow all around!! Looks like it was a cold one out but then, it was back at home too :crazyeyes:

benatc1

Hooked
the first part of the trail was pretty smooth a few tricky sections coming down the canyon but nothing we had to get out and look at. up to this point our jeeps were pretty clean as the ground was mostly frozen. but any way we continued north to school bus canyon, at this point Neil had to part ways so then there were 4.. some pretty good washouts to go around too 20161217_123944.jpg 20161217_125551.jpg 20161217_131140.jpg

once we got past the school busses it didn't take long for the trail to narrow and reach a few tough spots. overall it was a pretty easy trail but with 2 areas that required a bit of spotting. the first wasn't so bad. here's Robs_Red_JK getting some work 20161217_134153.jpg
20161217_134143.jpg
and Daniel got a bit stuck but just needed a better line 20161217_134312.jpg

the next obstacle was pretty tight being it was so off camber and right into a wall. I was able to take a different line being a bit longer and fortunately got up without and trouble, just a little pucker. after we got Robs_Red_JK up we were struggling to find the right line for Daniel as he was having trouble getting traction, no lockers and AT tires.
20161217_141317.jpg 20161217_141608.jpg 20161217_143130.jpg 20161217_143224.jpg 20161217_143605.jpg 20161217_143602.jpg tight squeeze but both made it without body damage!

after sorting out a good line Fires JK went up without much trouble

20161217_144139.jpg 20161217_144050.jpg

after making it to the top of the canyon and out to the power line we headed back south and out the first canyon we came up then cruzed back to the main road. here is where it started thawing and getting very muddy
20161217_152933.jpg

on the road back home and as you can see all that mud is now frozen to my Jeep 20161217_170117.jpg 20161217_173741.jpg

Great day all around, I was driving solo so didn't get a ton of pics. hopefully the others can share theirs as well. till next time!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL!! And here I thought you guys were able to avoid the mud. Bleh! :icon_crazy: :crazyeyes: :D

benatc1

Hooked
Looks like you had a great time and wish we could have joined you guys. Awesome pics especially with the dusting of snow all around!! Looks like it was a cold one out but then, it was back at home too :crazyeyes:
thanks Eddie, very cool area out there. we were the only tracks out there too so it was nice. for sure a chilly day, which helped until it finally softened up on the way back to the road. hopefully we can get together soon!

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
Although my cold prevented me from enjoying the entire trip, I was able to get out and enjoy the half day and follow everyone in support. From the looks of the photos from Ben, I missed out on the fun stuff. However, I really enjoyed my time with friends and really want to thank Ben for running such a great trip. The mud was not that bad at all and I was not really concerned when I got home, so much so that I did not even rinse RubySky off.

The morning was very cold at 11 degrees Fahrenheit and there was snow on RubySky for most of the morning:

IMG_2446.jpg

After meeting at the Chevron, we took off down Pyramid Highway and along the way enjoyed the beautiful high desert countryside of Nevada. We also enjoyed beautiful views of Pyramid Lake. As many may not know, Lake Tahoe drains into Pyramid Lake and due to the geology, the water in Pyramid is brackish:

FullSizeRender.jpg

After about an hour of driving on the paved road and after airing down, we started to enjoy easy going dirt roads, which due to the temperatures still being in the teens, was hard and not that muddy:

FullSizeRender_1.jpg

The dirt road gave way to lightly covered snow dirt roads, which was very charming and beautiful. The wheeling was pretty much still in 2 wheel drive, with many switching to 4-wheel drive high in order to avoid the dreaded transmission overheating issue:

FullSizeRender_2.jpg

Here we are continuing up a switch back trail to the Nightingale Mine complex. All of us were smart enough to not enter into any of the mines. If anybody had, I would have been quick to warn them with my stories in search and rescue, but luckily there were signs to warn people:

FullSizeRender_3.jpg

One of the more amazing trail routes was this one heading into the clear blue sky:

FullSizeRender_4.jpg

This was a great route figured out by Ben and I have him to thank for showing me around. Thank you for all that joined us and a Special thanks to trig_gerhippie (my wife) for taking great photos with her iPhone and doing a wonderful job in documenting what little we followed of the group. I apologize again for being sick and wish I could have stayed longer. I am hopeful that we can enjoy this trail again soon!!

Last edited:

Fires JK

It was another great day on the trails. Thanks Ben for a great day. The fun stuff was definitely on schoolbus and exploring the mines. Hope to get back someday when its warmer to explore the area some more. I will upload some pics as soon as I can.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
There will be mud Neil...enjoy it. ;)

LOL!! And here I thought you guys were able to avoid the mud. Bleh! :icon_crazy: :crazyeyes: :D

I was able to avoid the mud, thankfully. Here is a shot in which I got enough mud on my Jeep to show that it gets used but no so much that I looks retarded:

IMG_2447.jpg

I really wish you guys could've joined us. It was a great trip and a lot of fun. I am hopeful we will get out on a lot more adventures next year!

I want to again thank you Eddie for all of your knowledge in helping me pick my build and again thanks to Sharkey for helping my build it. You all have been so so helpful.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

benatc1

Hooked
Although my cold prevented me from enjoying the entire trip, I was able to get out and enjoy the half day and follow everyone in support. From the looks of the photos from Ben, I missed out on the fun stuff. However, I really enjoyed my time with friends and really want to thank Ben for running such a great trip. The mud was not that bad at all and I was not really concerned when I got home, so much so that I did not even rinse RubySky off.

The morning was very cold at 11 degrees Fahrenheit and there was snow on RubySky for most of the morning:

View attachment 234906

After meeting at the Chevron, we took off down Pyramid Highway and along the way enjoyed the beautiful high desert countryside of Nevada. We also enjoyed beautiful views of Pyramid Lake. As many may not know, Lake Tahoe drains into Pyramid Lake and due to the geology, the water in Pyramid is brackish:

View attachment 234911

After about an hour of driving on the paved road and after airing down, we started to enjoy easy going dirt roads, which due to the temperatures still being in the teens, was hard and not that muddy:

View attachment 234907

The dirt road gave way to lightly covered snow dirt roads, which was very charming and beautiful. The wheeling was pretty much still in 2 wheel drive, with many switching to 4-wheel drive high in order to avoid the dreaded transmission overheating issue:

View attachment 234908

Here we are continuing up a switch back trail to the Nightingale Mine complex. All of us were smart enough to not enter into any of the mines. If anybody had, I would have been quick to warn them with my stories in search and rescue, but luckily there were signs to warn people:

View attachment 234909

One of the more amazing trail routes was this one heading into the clear blue sky:

View attachment 234910

This was a great route figured out by Ben and I have him to thank for showing me around. Thank you for all that joined us and a Special thanks to trig_gerhippie (my wife) for taking great photos with her iPhone and doing a wonderful job in documenting what little we followed of the group. I apologize again for being sick and wish I could have stayed longer. I am hopeful that we can enjoy this trail again soon!!
any time man, looking forward to getting out again!

benatc1

Hooked
It was another great day on the trails. Thanks Ben for a great day. The fun stuff was definitely on schoolbus and exploring the mines. Hope to get back someday when its warmer to explore the area some more. I will upload some pics as soon as I can.
anytime man, looking fwd to seeing the pics you got!

Top Bottom