Ring and Pinion installation write-up?

Majik

Contrary to what most people believe, R&P installation is an art. Even a backyard mechanic will never get it right. Take it to a pro.

(Note, Im not saying that SOME backyard mechanics can't do it, but they are extremely rare.) Even if someone does a 95% good job, the 5% will result in gear whine if the backlash isn't set perfectly.

I take that as a challenge :) :thumbup:

I will take pics of the gear mesh pattern when I install it and I will let any "professional" on here critique my work :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Majik

Ok so are you going to have issues with the spyntec hub kit and your new break setup since the spyntec is a 5x5.5? Or are you drilling out the rotors?

And no...no issues. The spyntec kit adds 0.5" of extra track width to each side. I've accounted for that in the brake build. This is gonna be a blast :)

steve_r2

A quick question,
When the rear diff bearings and pinion bearings have been replaced does backlash need to be re-calibrated. I know this might be a noob question but those with a greater knowledge than I please confirm this or not.
Cheers
Steve

JKWrang

Subscribed. I can't wait to see your write up. Even if it is just to know what my $1000 is getting me in labor.

Majik

A quick question,
When the rear diff bearings and pinion bearings have been replaced does backlash need to be re-calibrated. I know this might be a noob question but those with a greater knowledge than I please confirm this or not.
Cheers
Steve

I third that. Bearings settle with wear and time. Mandatory to check backlash with new bearings.

FrankenJeeper

Subscribed! I'm anxious to see a R&P install write up. Shops in my area are fairly pricey as well to install gears.

2010 JKU Sport
1977 CJ5

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKWrang

Just found out the driveline shop everyone recommends charges 750 an axle snd idk if that's including a new d30 carrier for 3.73 gears or better

Sent from my SCH-I535 using WAYALIFE mobile app

mrmet1983

Every ring and pinion gear is made in the same place and shipped to other companies they r all the same

I don't always wheel , but when I do I keep it tight......... Stay dirty my friends.

$999 an axle is to much but pretty standard around small town shops. 249drivetrain in Houston starts at $1000 I think for install and parts for both axles. Not per.

Any if the dallas guys know where there is a good place to get done in dallas area

JKWrang

Eilas 4wd in Townsend MA wants 2200 to jump from 3.21 to 4.88. Not including new carrier.

Sent from my phone while I should probably be getting work done

Top Bottom