Ring and Pinion installation write-up?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
This write up will probably be finished about the time the big brake upgrade is finished. :crazyeyes::crazyeyes:

Majik

This write up will probably be finished about the time the big brake upgrade is finished. :crazyeyes::crazyeyes:

Ouch, man. That kinda hurts. If such a brake upgrade was quick and easy, I imagine there would be 15 companies with alot more free time than me that would have products on the market already. Same with the R&P install guide. I genuinely apologize in advance to those of you following my 'projects' if you feel put out by my not having a more rapid turn around. I really am trying to be a contributing member :)

Lil Nasty

Majik, I'm sure Overlander is just ribbing you. I've always believed I could do a R&P myself. I just needed someone to show me once. I've rebuilt chemical pumps offshore with crazy German engineering and after doing all the maintenance on our last BMW myself, I've got the wrenching butterflies out the way too. As in your brake R&D thread I'm looking forward to this as well. My local trusted shop charges parts +$500 labor for front and rear gears. They just have a 6 month waiting period most of the time.

jkbud

I wish I could do this myself but i'm about to just bite the bullet and have my local shop do it. They charge $1350 for front and rear which isn't as bad as some people on here are saying but still it hurts. I'm looking forward to the write up anyhow! :beer:

Majik

Got all the pics taken. Just have to type it all up. Went great and gear pattern came out excellent, as far as I could tell. Honestly, anyone can do it. Just a few special tools needed and patience. Swapping shims back and forth to get it perfect is the time consuming part...it's not difficult. You just have to be persistent. Sorry for my crappy timeline... between kids, the brake project, and this, I just stretched myself a little thin. :sigh:

Pics are done, though (and ALOT of them...) and came out great. Will get to typing it up soon.

holaCG

Can't wait to see your write-up. I have two weeks off at Christmas and this is on my to-do list.

Majik

One little tip ahead of time:
The name-brand 'master-install' kits do NOT include the oil slingers/baffles. Mid-teardown, I had to go to the stealership to order these $1.99 parts. The baffle especially gets mangled when removing the inner pinion bearing race, and is needed especially with the high pinion in the front D44s to hold extra gear oil up high for the pinion bearings. So... if you are planning a swap, be sure to order these $4 worth of parts ahead of time. Most dealerships have to order them....

Speaking from experience :)

holaCG

One more tip to add to your write up...

Don't try and swap gears without having a garage to park the jeep in. It has been a painful week dodging the storms here in ohio but I finally wrapped it up.

Couple pics to possibly get some sympathy!!

40 degrees and sunny when I started.
zehu5ybe.jpg

Got the rear axle pulled and into my "shop".
3evynume.jpg

Then winter came. But I was able to get the rear back on
gupyzu2y.jpg
and the front headed to the "shop "
4ehatyqa.jpg

Then winter really came and buried me.
madytepe.jpg

But I was able to get it finished before the negative temps set in. I might have worked until 12:45am last night laying in the snow and torqued the last couple bolts this morning and took the Jeep on its maiden voyage with 5.13's. :)
bebepusu.jpg

jeeeep

Hooked

Don't try and swap gears without having a garage to park the jeep in. It has been a painful week dodging the storms here in ohio but I finally wrapped it up.

zehu5ybe.jpg

3evynume.jpg

gupyzu2y.jpg
4ehatyqa.jpg

madytepe.jpg

But I was able to get it finished before the negative temps set in. I might have worked until 12:45am last night laying in the snow and torqued the last couple bolts this morning and took the Jeep on its maiden voyage with 5.13's. :)
bebepusu.jpg

wow! I wimped out replacing the A/C - heater blower because it was too cold outside.. 3 screws is all, noisy thing has been driving crazy for last 2 monthsn..but not that crazy :doh:

steve_r2

zehu5ybe.jpg

3evynume.jpg

gupyzu2y.jpg
4ehatyqa.jpg

madytepe.jpg

bebepusu.jpg

Wow.....just looking at those photos makes me feel cold !!

holaCG

wow! I wimped out replacing the A/C - heater blower because it was too cold outside.. 3 screws is all, noisy thing has been driving crazy for last 2 monthsn..but not that crazy :doh:

I had two weeks off of work for the holidays and needed something to keep me busy!! It took a lot longer because I had to pull the axles and bring them to the small shop out back but luckily once there, I could fire up the propane heater and take my time getting them all set up. It was my first time doing this and had fun but could have done without the snow...

Top Bottom