Ring and Pinion installation write-up?

RubiconJohn

Have you completed the gear change?

I would love to see the write up, its been 15 years or so since I've done a ring and pinon swap, it would be great to see a review before i change mine this winter.

How did the install on the sleeves go? Thinking about putting these in my JK as well.

JOhn

Angry Aussie

The four wheel parts in Austin wants a $1000 per axel in just labor to install my gears. 4wheelparts seems to be the biggest rip off place on the planet. They also wanted $1000 more for my wheels and tires then discount tire! Sorry for the rant, can't believe what they are charging people to do things.

Majik

I will be doing that write up very soon. I got distracted with my big brake project (on this forun) and so the gears and wheel install got put on the back burner. Sorry :) Will get to it soon!

robx251

Caught the Bug
i have done the gears in my JK. I can say it was not the most pleasureable experiance of my life. but with all of the right tools, take your time, be methodical, and have the proper spcecs it isnt a big job. The biggest issues is setting the pinion depth and backlash. I will also take this time as to say never buy a youkon product. They sent me three bad sets, un hardend, and did not go good for the defective product. following same set up procedures, products and oil usind a different brand. everything worked fine.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
For those of you getting raped at a grand an axle, I could totally see you wanting to do this yourself. Out here in SoCal, Off Road Evolution offers gear install for only $999 which INCLUDES gears and rebuild kits. It's a hard deal to pass up.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
For those of you getting raped at a grand an axle, I could totally see you wanting to do this yourself. Out here in SoCal, Off Road Evolution offers gear install for only $999 which INCLUDES gears and rebuild kits. It's a hard deal to pass up.

Welcome to Wayalife! :standing wave:

msk466

i have done the gears in my JK. I can say it was not the most pleasureable experiance of my life. but with all of the right tools, take your time, be methodical, and have the proper spcecs it isnt a big job. The biggest issues is setting the pinion depth and backlash. I will also take this time as to say never buy a youkon product. They sent me three bad sets, un hardend, and did not go good for the defective product. following same set up procedures, products and oil usind a different brand. everything worked fine.

I was just going to order the youkon, in the next couple of weeks. Any advice on what to order instead??

Sent from my XT907 using WAYALIFE mobile app

MTG

Caught the Bug
My Yukon gears seem to be doing just fine. :yup:

I thought they were all made in the same factory anyway.

jbaskin28

This topic is up there with the thought process of "can I install my own custom barrel on my rifle and not break it?" so seeing a write up would thoroughly ease my mind that I could do it myself. And it would give me an excuse to buy tools. :clap2:

Yea I'd love to see it as well as all the other little side write ups mainly. Wish I could find a shop around dallas or so that did installs for $999. They got one in Houston but that's quite far.

I will be doing that write up very soon. I got distracted with my big brake project (on this forun) and so the gears and wheel install got put on the back burner. Sorry :) Will get to it soon!

Ok so are you going to have issues with the spyntec hub kit and your new break setup since the spyntec is a 5x5.5? Or are you drilling out the rotors?

robx251

Caught the Bug
I was just going to order the youkon, in the next couple of weeks. Any advice on what to order instead??

Sent from my XT907 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I have alloy USA in mine now going strong and my buddy is running g2 gears. Some people do have lots of luck with Yukon I did not.

The company rep did admit that they do not make their gears and I got mine from two different manufacturing facilities

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Contrary to what most people believe, R&P installation is an art. Even a backyard mechanic will never get it right. Take it to a pro.

(Note, Im not saying that SOME backyard mechanics can't do it, but they are extremely rare.) Even if someone does a 95% good job, the 5% will result in gear whine if the backlash isn't set perfectly.

Majik

DunnyBunny ---> I am machining the rotors. I am doing the build as a 5 on 5" setup so people interested can more easily do the brake swap, but my own rig will be 5 on 5.5".

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom