Rock Crawler lift

xman4602

After everything I've read I'm starting to regret my choice but I made my bed so now I just have to lie in it. That being said I want to get the install right before it hits the pavement.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

xman4602

The angle should be the same on both the pinion and drive shaft. It will be different on every Jeep as a 2-door will be steeper than a 4-door and the amount of lift will cause it to vary as well. This is why I say that it's silly for anyone to suggest that there's some kind of magical starting measurement. The ultimate length of your control arms depends entirely on your drive shaft and pinion being in line.

What would you say the tolerance is on the pinion angle? I've got it within 2* - 2.5* but have no more adjustment left.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What would you say the tolerance is on the pinion angle? I've got it within 2* - 2.5* but have no more adjustment left.

With a factory drive shaft, you would have been fine without making any adjustment. If you're running an aftermarket shaft, 2°-2.5° will more than likely give you driveline vibrations especially on decel.

xman4602

With a factory drive shaft, you would have been fine without making any adjustment. If you're running an aftermarket shaft, 2°-2.5° will more than likely give you driveline vibrations especially on decel.

I should be good then. Running stock DS.

“Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.”

xman4602

If you have a 2-door, you'll want a new rear drive shaft sooner than later. If you have a 4-door, yes, you should be good.

This one is a 4 door build. [emoji1303]

“Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.”

xman4602

Pinion angle is waaaaaaay off on my 2 door! Eek now I'll have to go back and redo that one. [emoji41][emoji857]

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Pinion angle is waaaaaaay off on my 2 door! Eek now I'll have to go back and redo that one. [emoji41][emoji857]

Unless you're running a u-joint style double cardan shaft, it won't really make a difference. If you're lifted 3" or more, the CV boots on the Rzeppa joints will wear out sooner than later and that will leave you with fried bearings.

xman4602

Unless you're running a u-joint style double cardan shaft, it won't really make a difference. If you're lifted 3" or more, the CV boots on the Rzeppa joints will wear out sooner than later and that will leave you with fried bearings.

Sounds like good excuses for upgrades.

Shoe

Just a heads up

I had a rear joint collar back out , it only had 4 hours of off-road driving on it. All the set screws were not tight. PIA to tighten the lock nuts, special tool to tighten the collar and special 000 grease at $15 for 3oz that you can only get at RK. PIA ! But I do like ride.

Last edited:

xman4602

I had a rear joint collar back out , it only had 4 hours of off-road driving on it. All the set screws were not tight. PIA to tighten the lock nuts, special tool to tighten the collar and special 000 grease at $15 for 3oz that you can only get at RK. PIA ! But I do like ride.

Yes this is definitely a pia. I ended up taking the new build down to an off-road 4x4 shop and having them do the alignment and tighten all the jam nuts. Was not confident that I had them even close to tight enough.

Top Bottom