Rock Krawler Triple Rate vs. TeraFlex Coil Testing out on Prison Hill

I was disappointed in the Synergy rear coil length too Overlander... I was hoping you would have a better experience with these.

OJK12

So now that you have tested these out overlander were you satisfied enough to keep them or do you plan on changing them out for another setup?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Great read and review! Good to know there isn't much of a difference between the two coils and not to waste my time on the Rock krawler ones

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
Eddie,

Thank you for the detailed review.

I do find my triple rates to be a bit stiff.

How do you compare them to your plush rides? I know the EVOs give you a softer ride but is there any other benefits?

Thanks!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I was disappointed in the Synergy rear coil length too Overlander... I was hoping you would have a better experience with these.

Honestly, I think a lot of manufacturers have rear coils that are short because so many people think the factory rake is something you don't want. This is why they sell leveling kits to bring up the front end. Problem is, the rear is where you carry all your gear and that means you have even more sag there. Like Adam, I might recommend that you run some rear coil spacers to help make up the difference.

Great write up thanks for taking the time to put it together.

My pleasure and really, you should also be thanking Rock Krawler for sending me the coils to do this test. They trusted I would do a fair and honest review of their new coils regardless of the outcome.

Great read and review! Good to know there isn't much of a difference between the two coils and not to waste my time on the Rock krawler ones

That might be the case for you but, depending on what others have now, they might still be something to consider.

Eddie,

Thank you for the detailed review.

I do find my triple rates to be a bit stiff.

How do you compare them to your plush rides? I know the EVOs give you a softer ride but is there any other benefits?

Thanks!

For me personally, the Plush Ride coils are about as soft a coil as they come. I personally like how they feel over any other standard coil I have tested to date. BUT, again, ride quality is 100% subjective and that is just my opinion based on what I prefer and what I prefer is a soft ride on a daily basis.

Hot94Z28

It's hard to have your cake and eat it too. If you don't like spring sag, you have to run a heavier rate coil. If want a softer ride, you have to deal with spring sag.

Thanks I know for my situation I don't think these would be worth the cost over what I have already. Oh well I will just keep using these till I can afford a coil over set up. Thanks again for the review.

JRied

Eddy how would you rate the Currie 4" coils? I run them and in the rear I have the plus 1" hd coils they offer. I'd say there firm but don't have much experience.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddy how would you rate the Currie 4" coils? I run them and in the rear I have the plus 1" hd coils they offer. I'd say there firm but don't have much experience.

I have installed and tested the Currie Rock Jock kit with their 4" dual rate coils and would have to say they are on the firm side. But of course, I find that ALL dual rate, variable rate or what have you rate coils to ride on the firm side as really, that's all you're left with once you've used up the soft rated side of the coil. If anything, I also found the Currie coils to limit the amount of stuff I was seeing being that the firm side of the coil was a bit too firm. I am sorry to say that while I am a big fan of a lot of Currie products including their control arms, tie-rods, johnny joints, etc, I am not a fan of their coils.

JRied

I have installed and tested the Currie Rock Jock kit with their 4" dual rate coils and would have to say they are on the firm side. But of course, I find that ALL dual rate, variable rate or what have you rate coils to ride on the firm side as really, that's all you're left with once you've used up the soft rated side of the coil. If anything, I also found the Currie coils to limit the amount of stuff I was seeing being that the firm side of the coil was a bit too firm. I am sorry to say that while I am a big fan of a lot of Currie products including their control arms, tie-rods, johnny joints, etc, I am not a fan of their coils.

Ok cool thanks for the response. Once my finances are in order I will be going evo bolt on CO and tossing the coils/ranchos. Overall I'm happy with the rockjock kit as a whole

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ok cool thanks for the response. Once my finances are in order I will be going evo bolt on CO and tossing the coils/ranchos. Overall I'm happy with the rockjock kit as a whole

Oh, don't get me wrong. What you have is a great kit, I'm just not a big fan of the coils. Everything else is great :yup:

JRied

Oh, don't get me wrong. What you have is a great kit, I'm just not a big fan of the coils. Everything else is great :yup:

Lol it's not you. I wanted coil overs before I even bought the jeep! If I didn't live in flat ass Florida id save for dbl throw down. But that's way overkill for the east coast and especially for Florida. Evo bolt on has always been in the plans. One reason I got the currie was all 8 Johnny joint arms etc etc. I won't be going long arm any time soon if at all.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Great unbiased, straightforward, side by side comparison guys (and Gal). Looks like some really nice trails!

Great pics!

LG_rocks

Good read! A side by side comparison is always the best way to test IMO. I'd like to see a similar write up involving Metal Cloak coils.🍻

n3tfury

Nice test and a really good unbiased review for the community. Thank you guys for your time and to RK for the parts. Super jealous of your set up there in Northern NV!

AncientTrail

Hey guys, I'm getting ready to swap out my 3.5" RK progressive front and linear rear springs to the 3" BDS springs. One thing I found with the RK rear springs is that there wasn't that much tension while on the rack. They came out real easy. too easy.

Eddie, I may be up your way soon so if you want, I can let you know when I'm coming through and we can hook up and get yours and my opinion on the BDS. My sister lives there so I could hang for a day or two checking it out.

Let me know.

:beer:

Top Bottom