Rock Krawler Triple Rate vs. TeraFlex Coil Testing out on Prison Hill

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Hey guys, I'm getting ready to swap out my 3.5" RK progressive front and linear rear springs to the 3" BDS springs. One thing I found with the RK rear springs is that there wasn't that much tension while on the rack. They came out real easy. too easy.

Eddie, I may be up your way soon so if you want, I can let you know when I'm coming through and we can hook up and get yours and my opinion on the BDS. My sister lives there so I could hang for a day or two checking it out.

Let me know.

:beer:

They don't need tension, they just need to not fall out full extended

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
For me personally, the Plush Ride coils are about as soft a coil as they come. I personally like how they feel over any other standard coil I have tested to date. BUT, again, ride quality is 100% subjective and that is just my opinion based on what I prefer and what I prefer is a soft ride on a daily basis.

Curious Eddie. I have been considering swapping my JKS coils for plush rides before I leave the mainland. The JKS JSPEC 2.0 coils netted me around 3.25" of actual lift. Although they do (in my opinion) ride very close to stock, I still find myself wanting a softer ride. I have read more than a few reviews that the plush rides offer a softer than stock ride. My question is, how much actual lift do you think one could expect on a light JKU. I'm running a soft top, half doors, and a 35" spare. The only time I am ever really 'loaded down' is with people, not really a bunch of gear. I want to stick as close to 3" as possible, and am curious if the plush rides typically sit higher than advertised as most springs do. Thanks.

Gadget

Caught the Bug
Ok, so if the 3 in. Plush rides don't yield 3 in. and sag could you use the 4 in. Plush rides and get what the 3 in. should yield? Hope this makes sense.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Curious Eddie. I have been considering swapping my JKS coils for plush rides before I leave the mainland. The JKS JSPEC 2.0 coils netted me around 3.25" of actual lift. Although they do (in my opinion) ride very close to stock, I still find myself wanting a softer ride. I have read more than a few reviews that the plush rides offer a softer than stock ride. My question is, how much actual lift do you think one could expect on a light JKU. I'm running a soft top, half doors, and a 35" spare. The only time I am ever really 'loaded down' is with people, not really a bunch of gear. I want to stick as close to 3" as possible, and am curious if the plush rides typically sit higher than advertised as most springs do. Thanks.

Ok, so if the 3 in. Plush rides don't yield 3 in. and sag could you use the 4 in. Plush rides and get what the 3 in. should yield? Hope this makes sense.

On a four door the 3" yield 3" and the 4" yield 4". That's the way they were designed. Having said that if you are really light you will see more than 3" of lift.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
On a four door the 3" yield 3" and the 4" yield 4". That's the way they were designed. Having said that if you are really light you will see more than 3" of lift.

This ^^^

Unlike most lift coils that you can buy that typically yield MORE if not A LOT MORE lift than is advertised, the Plush rides will yield what is stated. IF you have a heavy Jeep loaded up with a ton of gear, you will see some sagging.

I consider mine "light". Jku. 35s. No winch. No rear bumber. Stubby front bumper. I have 3-1/8"

Edit: thats running 3" plush rides

Last edited:

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug

This ^^^

Unlike most lift coils that you can buy that typically yield MORE if not A LOT MORE lift than is advertised, the Plush rides will yield what is stated. IF you have a heavy Jeep loaded up with a ton of gear, you will see some sagging.

I consider mine "light". Jku. 35s. No winch. No rear bumber. Stubby front bumper. I have 3-1/8"

Edit: thats running 3" plush rides

Thanks a bunch for the replies gentlemen. I'm thinking the 3" Enforcer may be my Christmas gift to myself!

mallaki

Hello All

Hello all... MY name is Peter and I have been reading here for a while now but now need some advice and clarification, so here I am posting :)

I have 2012 JKU and about three years ago I installed RK 2.5 Max Travel lift with 35" GR MT MK2 tires and Poison Spyder Brawler front and rear bumper... Recently I upgraded to bigger and heavier wheels and tires >> ATX Slabs with 37” Nitto Trail Grapplers and trimmed pinch seam and that was it. Before I head out to Rausch Creek Off-Road Park here on the East Coast, I decided to basically upgrade to new RK 3.5 X- Factor lift that comes with Triple Rate coils (please note my old 2.5 came with stiffer Progressive springs)

Basically I purchased all additional components to upgrade from my original 3 years old 2.5 Max Travel to current 3.5 X-Factor plus new Synergy drag link, Tie Rod, brackets etc. to correct Pinion/Caster with new 3.5 lift... I have not installed any of these yet... Still running on my old 2.5 RK Max Travel just like I did for the past three years but now with heavier wheels... What I had was great but need to go higher to accommodate clearance for new bigger wheels.

My question is will I benefit with new 3.5 Triple Rate coils over older 2.5 Progressive coils or will I experience sagging? Will I be higher with regards to lift with new coils, same or worse? The only additional weight I have right now would be bigger, heavier spare wheel.

Equipment:
2012 JKU Sport
Stock both axels – Dana30 with welded EVO gussets
4.88 gears
EVO Armor
EVO Sliders
Poison Spyder Brawler front and Rear Bumper
ATX Slabs, 37”Nitto Trail Grapplers

Thank you all in advance and looking forward for comments and suggestions,

Regards,

---Peter

samtuck11

Here is my take on the whole thing. The teraflex coils are from a 3" kit and the Rock Krawler are for a 2.5" kit. Teraflex yielded 4.5" of lift in the front and the Rock Krawler yielded 3.5" of lift in the front.

The Teraflex coils are firm and having driven with both rancho 9000's and 5000's the 5000's make them feel a little better. At full droop my teraflex coils unseated in the front on a regular basis. The rears never came unseated.

The Rock Krawler coils are longer but when installed were a full inch or a little more lower in the front then the teraflex coils. The softer rates of the rock krawler coils are fully compressed at ride height making them useless in my opinion. The benefit is that when at full droop I haven't unseated a coil yet which is nice. The ride is comparable to teraflex and I wouldn't say it's worse or better. I do like the lower height of the jeep overall though.

I am disappointed in the rear rock krawler coils though. They were the same length or a little shorter then the teraflex and when installed were really low. I don't notice much as far as three rates on the rear coils which leads me to believe they market the triple rate as a front coil only. The rear bottomed out hard until I added a spacer and then it stopped.

I personally think the rear coils in this kit need some more work. I have a fairly light two door and it still sagged. The teraflex coils had more then 70k miles on them so they were really broken in. The rock krawler coils now have about 800 miles on them so we will see how much they settle in the months to come.

If you are running a teraflex coil or something similar I wouldn't recommend swapping to Rock Krawler. If you are in the market for a suspension I would recommend the Rock Krawler over the teraflex coils.

Hope that helps.

I know this is an old thread but to my understanding rock krawler now has a second line of lifts one being called the overlander or something like that but i believe they come with stiffer rear coils to help with sag on loaded down rigs.
I am running a 2.5" RK kit on my 2dr but i have no extra weight of bumpers and armor (other than my 35" toyo spare tire) and my front sits a little lower than the rear, but its barely noticeable.
I can say that if I stand on the front bumper it sags less than if i stand on my rear bumper. or if i have 2 large people sitting in the back seats my headlights blind other drivers. This makes me wonder how much it would sag with a loaded down bumper.

my question is have yall had a chance to run RKs new rear coils?
and if i was to get a rear bumper tire carrier would it be a better idea to go with a set of spacers or get the new stiffer rear springs from RK to compensate for the sag?

also to give my opinion my RK coils i think ride stiff with the rancho 9000 shocks. but i haven't had the opportunity to compare them to anything other than the AEV coils which rode softer impo.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I know this is an old thread but to my understanding rock krawler now has a second line of lifts one being called the overlander or something like that but i believe they come with stiffer rear coils to help with sag on loaded down rigs.
I am running a 2.5" RK kit on my 2dr but i have no extra weight of bumpers and armor (other than my 35" toyo spare tire) and my front sits a little lower than the rear, but its barely noticeable.
I can say that if I stand on the front bumper it sags less than if i stand on my rear bumper. or if i have 2 large people sitting in the back seats my headlights blind other drivers. This makes me wonder how much it would sag with a loaded down bumper.

my question is have yall had a chance to run RKs new rear coils?
and if i was to get a rear bumper tire carrier would it be a better idea to go with a set of spacers or get the new stiffer rear springs from RK to compensate for the sag?

also to give my opinion my RK coils i think ride stiff with the rancho 9000 shocks. but i haven't had the opportunity to compare them to anything other than the AEV coils which rode softer impo.

Pretty sure these are the new coils. I don't follow RK too much but to my understanding these are the newest they have.

samtuck11

Rock krawler replied to one of my post on wrangler forum ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1456253788.701699.jpg
They have yet to say what the difference between the coils is

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I would assume the OL kit would have a stiffer rear spring for carrying more weight / gear.

Can't get much stiffer that what they had before. Lol

I am riding on only the stuff section of coils front and rear. Don't know what a stiffer coil would accomplish besides a stiffer ride.

swampdog

Can't get much stiffer that what they had before. Lol

I am riding on only the stuff section of coils front and rear. Don't know what a stiffer coil would accomplish besides a stiffer ride.

Preaching to the choir man. I'm light (no armor, winch, and stock bumpers) and still rides in the stiff section of the coils. When it's time for 37's will be swapping these 2.5" RKs out for some plush rides. The Rancho 9000's def help as I can compensate, but still, not as soft as I would have liked.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi

Answered my question. I hate that most coils add an extra inch on a 2 door. Thanks, Adam.

Top Bottom