RubiCAT Gettin EVO'd UP!!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks WOLette. That helps me with my dream build wish list. :thumb:

just to put things into perspective, you DON'T need to run the entry level bolt on coil over kit with long arms - you can run them with short arms too. Needless to say, you can save A LOT of money if you cut out all the extra stuff we're running and just went for the basics.

Robar

The Enforcer
just to put things into perspective, you DON'T need to run the entry level bolt on coil over kit with long arms - you can run them with short arms too. Needless to say, you can save A LOT of money if you cut out all the extra stuff we're running and just went for the basics.
That's what I was thinking. This coilover system, a good pair of short arms, the JE Reel 2012 drive shafts, rock skins, and I can cut the bumpers and fenders for now. I'm still very interested what happens with the 2012 exhaust. Dynomax is coming out with a system that dumps before the rear axle, but I wondering about the front with all the loops and turns. Of course this is all just a dream for now. I'm hoping in the next year or two I'll be able to ventur out at work and do some freelance stuff to help pay for my obsession.

Bullwinckle

Hooked
Rubicats looking good!! Shoot $12K isnt that bad especially for the quality products you are getting! :thumb: Although the installation costs added to that will kill ya but again its way worth it! :rock: Now I only need to get a promotion and my jeep will be getting evoed as well. haha :brows:

Last edited:

highoctane

Caught the Bug
$3500 front and rear? If so that's pretty good! Evo lever is just over $3k itself! Man I can't wait for the official release.

94YJBeaver

WOW!! That is a PERFECT parts list...It is also nice to see how parts look installed and gives me more incentive to maybe upgrade a little sooner. The round about total cost is alot less than what i was thinking, so that is very encouraging. Thank you for your time...Hopefully I will be seeing you guys soon.

Here is a parts list so far NOT including the new coilover system since price has not been set yet on that and NOT including installation costs. Not 100% sure, but we estimate the new EVO bolt-on coilover system will probably be somewhere around $3500 including the coilovers - significantly cheaper than the EVO Lever DTD setup.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That's what I was thinking. This coilover system, a good pair of short arms, the JE Reel 2012 drive shafts, rock skins, and I can cut the bumpers and fenders for now. I'm still very interested what happens with the 2012 exhaust. Dynomax is coming out with a system that dumps before the rear axle, but I wondering about the front with all the loops and turns. Of course this is all just a dream for now. I'm hoping in the next year or two I'll be able to ventur out at work and do some freelance stuff to help pay for my obsession.

well, so long as you don't do a long arm and you run an aftermarket front shaft, you don't need to do anything with the exhaust pipes. skip all the other bells and whistles we have and do the install yourself, you can probably get your rig running coil overs well in under $5k.

Shoot $12K isnt that bad especially for the quality products you are getting! :thumb: Although the installation costs added to that will kill ya but again its way worth it! :rock: Now I only need to get a promotion and my jeep will be getting evoed as well. haha :brows:

agreed. it really isn't too bad of a price for all that we got. going this route with the entry level bolt on coil over kit already saves you over $3500 in just parts and with the install being so easy, you get to save over $1500 in installation costs too.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
$3500 front and rear? If so that's pretty good! Evo lever is just over $3k itself! Man I can't wait for the official release.

YES, this is front and rear. it's a HUGE savings over the DTD evo lever system. not just in parts but in labor too. this new entry level bolt on coil over system is super easy to install and, after seeing it go in, i think any wrench turner can do it without too much fuss. to do it yourself will save you even more money.

WOW!! That is a PERFECT parts list...It is also nice to see how parts look installed and gives me more incentive to maybe upgrade a little sooner. The round about total cost is alot less than what i was thinking, so that is very encouraging. Thank you for your time...Hopefully I will be seeing you guys soon.

you got it. please let us know if you have any other questions.

94YJBeaver

Should I look for a bone stock JKU or a Rubi. In my mind, I was thinking about a JKU sport and ditch the stock axles and upgrade to Dynatrac 60's, then go from there. Not real sure if i need all the bells and whistles that the Sahara and Rubicon has...My main purpose is that it has to be street legal BUT handle anything i throw at it off road.

wayoflife said:
you got it. please let us know if you have any other questions.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Should I look for a bone stock JKU or a Rubi. In my mind, I was thinking about a JKU sport and ditch the stock axles and upgrade to Dynatrac 60's, then go from there. Not real sure if i need all the bells and whistles that the Sahara and Rubicon has...My main purpose is that it has to be street legal BUT handle anything i throw at it off road.

that's a tough call. we tried going that route on our old 2009 JKU but ended regretting it. after having an 07 rubicon with dumb things like power window, power locks, more comfortable seats, a better stereo system, an electronic sway bar disconnect and a 4:1 transfer case - all things that you can't get on an X or sahara, we decided to do things right and get our 2012 as a rubicon. you can always sell the factory 44 axles for a pretty good penny and help fund your 60's.

94YJBeaver

That Sounds like the better way to go...Now that I think about it alot more, It makes more sense to build something that you will enjoy of a long time vs. should have, could have. I can still find used 4 door Rubicons up here for about 20k. Now it is going to be a waiting game to find the right deal. By the way the about 20k would be a 07 or 08. With that being said...How are the motors in those years? I have not heard very many good things. I have a 4.0L with 184k on it and it doesn't burn any oil and has never failed me...Knock on wood...

that's a tough call. we tried going that route on our old 2009 JKU but ended regretting it. after having an 07 rubicon with dumb things like power window, power locks, more comfortable seats, a better stereo system, an electronic sway bar disconnect and a 4:1 transfer case - all things that you can't get on an X or sahara, we decided to do things right and get our 2012 as a rubicon. you can always sell the factory 44 axles for a pretty good penny and help fund your 60's.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That Sounds like the better way to go...Now that I think about it alot more, It makes more sense to build something that you will enjoy of a long time vs. should have, could have. I can still find used 4 door Rubicons up here for about 20k. Now it is going to be a waiting game to find the right deal. By the way the about 20k would be a 07 or 08. With that being said...How are the motors in those years? I have not heard very many good things. I have a 4.0L with 184k on it and it doesn't burn any oil and has never failed me...Knock on wood...

the old 3.8L v6 isn't anything to write home about but, it's not as bad as some would suggest. sure, it has no real power but, it's pretty reliable and we have about 100k miles on our 07. still running strong, no leaks or any problems to speak of and for whatever it's worth, it still pushing our super heavy prorock 60's and 40x15.50 toyos just fine.

94YJBeaver

Yeah I have seen ALL the videos...Are you Running 5.38's? I did test drive one a couple years ago at a local dealership that was lifted with 37's i think and it seemed to have plenty of power. This coming from the guy that was running 33's with 3.05 gears...lol...Not any more, but I didn't think it was as bad as others in the area had said. Maybe the got a lemon. The local "4x4" shop owner had an 07 with 35's, super charged, 5.38 gears and he said it was his worst investment. I try not to let people like that sway my decisions. Would you recommend an Automatic or 6spd.?

the old 3.8L v6 isn't anything to write home about but, it's not as bad as some would suggest. sure, it has no real power but, it's pretty reliable and we have about 100k miles on our 07. still running strong, no leaks or any problems to speak of and for whatever it's worth, it still pushing our super heavy prorock 60's and 40x15.50 toyos just fine.

Serg5000

When trying to stay at or under $5000.00. What Are the options other then the long arm kit. Or should I say, what would you have done if the 5k dollar amount was your limit.

tkuntz

ATX Slab

Where did you get the 17" ATX Slab's? I searched around a little bit, but all the ones I found were around $400/wheel.

Robar

The Enforcer
Where did you get the 17" ATX Slab's? I searched around a little bit, but all the ones I found were around $400/wheel.

I believe Off Road Evolution has them on sale for $312 each + shipping until May 19, 2012.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah I have seen ALL the videos...Are you Running 5.38's? I did test drive one a couple years ago at a local dealership that was lifted with 37's i think and it seemed to have plenty of power. This coming from the guy that was running 33's with 3.05 gears...lol...Not any more, but I didn't think it was as bad as others in the area had said. Maybe the got a lemon. The local "4x4" shop owner had an 07 with 35's, super charged, 5.38 gears and he said it was his worst investment. I try not to let people like that sway my decisions. Would you recommend an Automatic or 6spd.?

in the recent videos, we are running 5.38's in our dynatrac pro rock 60's. in a dana 44, i personally wouldn't run anything higher than a 5.13 as the pinion on a 5.38 gets to be really really small. as far as superchargers go, everyone i know who went that route has experienced nothing but problems and i wouldn't recommend it for how little you get out of one.

regarding transmissions, i love manuals and have wheeled them my whole life but, wheeling an auto is so much easier. i would recommend that you go that route.

When trying to stay at or under $5000.00. What Are the options other then the long arm kit. Or should I say, what would you have done if the 5k dollar amount was your limit.

skip the long arms, get only the suspension components you absolutely need and skip all the other extras like bumpers, etc.

I believe Off Road Evolution has them on sale for $312 each + shipping until May 19, 2012.

what robar said :yup:

rakattack526

That RubiCAT is looking sick. A week ago, I was decided on a budget lift and 35"s... but watching this build and your MOAB videos, I think I'm going to head this route. One quick question: With this lift, can you upgrade it to the full fledged Evo-lever kit, or would I have to buy a whole new system if I wanted to go that route in a few years? Keep up the awesome work, I love your websites and can't wait to get my build started.

CarsonCindy

Administrator
Staff member
Just got the new Truck-Lite LED Headlights installed on RubiCAT!
537300_10150657801318971_56405988970_8997031_587077993_n.jpg

Here is a pic of the new Truck-Lite LED headlights with low beams on:
536906_10150658224878971_56405988970_8998261_501616234_n.jpg

EVO 1/4 pounder bumper installed:
559039_10150657920083971_56405988970_8997323_705270735_n.jpg

All cleaned up and ready for an ATX Wheel photo shoot at Off Road Evolution:
528107_10150658441013971_56405988970_8999043_973114259_n.jpg

Top Bottom