Rubicon Trail Oct 5-7

dillard09

Man I wish I could go again. Yall have fun! Kevin thats a long drive so be careful!
Are some of yall planning on hitting Old Sluice?

jdofmemi

I'm still hoping to get my shit together so I can go again.

Other than work, which is causing me plenty of issues, I have this small shock issue to deal with.

Not even a mile in on my recent trip, a rock I was on rolled over and wedged under the right rear King, bending the shaft bad enough that it is basically locked in place.

Later, going down the Big Sluice, I managed to hit the left King, pushing the reservoir up enough to break the fitting at the top.

I am in the market for a couple of shocks to use until I can get the Kings rebuilt.

Attachments

• IMG_20180922_114951.jpg
    IMG_20180922_114951.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_20180921_101633.jpg
    IMG_20180921_101633.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 110

BaddestCross

I'm still hoping to get my shit together so I can go again.

Other than work, which is causing me plenty of issues, I have this small shock issue to deal with.

Not even a mile in on my recent trip, a rock I was on rolled over and wedged under the right rear King, bending the shaft bad enough that it is basically locked in place.

Later, going down the Big Sluice, I managed to hit the left King, pushing the reservoir up enough to break the fitting at the top.

I am in the market for a couple of shocks to use until I can get the Kings rebuilt.
Damn, that sucks! Glad you made it through... One thing I like about my Ranchos is the shaft goes up. I beat the shit outta my last set. The barrels were dented up but no failure.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

dillard09

I'll just be following along, but you know me... I'm up for whatever. 😎

Why? Is there something we should know about?

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Haha! Yes I do. I need to get out with you again. Havent seen ya since the 37s.

Old Sluice is definitely one of the hardest parts of the trail. It can be bypassed completely. I say if your not on 37 or bigger you would have your work cut out for ya. There is also a tree that 3 out of the 4 of our group hit with our tops. I was the 1 that missed it. 👍

Samuelh3

Caught the Bug
Haha! Yes I do. I need to get out with you again. Havent seen ya since the 37s.

Old Sluice is definitely one of the hardest parts of the trail. It can be bypassed completely. I say if your not on 37 or bigger you would have your work cut out for ya. There is also a tree that 3 out of the 4 of our group hit with our tops. I was the 1 that missed it. [emoji106]

Bummer about your shocks!

It’s all gonna depend on our timing. My goal is to do the ENTIRE Rubicon Trail aka no bypasses. But depending on timing we may have to skip some parts.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

dillard09

Bummer about your shocks!

It’s all gonna depend on our timing. My goal is to do the ENTIRE Rubicon Trail aka no bypasses. But depending on timing we may have to skip some parts.

Well if you plan on doing it all you maybe start at Wentworth Springs. Come in from there and then when you hit the "T" make a right and head to Loon lake. Then back out and to Buck Island.
We camped at Wentworth Springs campground. Hit the trail around 830am and made it to Loon lake around 1030. Took some pictures and headed back. Stopped for lunch at soup bowl around 1. 3 out of the 4 made it up soup bowl. Headed down and did Old Sluice, played around by the dam area. Made it to our campsite on the eastern side of Buck island right at dark. There was 4 of us. 2 rigs with 40s and 2 rigs with 37s. Made for a long day. But I really like the rock section on the Wentworth Springs side.

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
BTW guys, the weather is shaping up to be perfect. 71 and sunny on Saturday and 68 and sunny on Sunday and lows near freezing

jdofmemi

I'm still hoping to join you guys.

Ordered some Ranchos to put on and run until I can get the Kings fixed.

Now if I can get my other issues worked out, I will be there.

Last trip was with my friend on 34's. We finished the trail, I helped him over some of the places he didn't have enough clearance for, but we skipped Old Sluice and did not do any optional lines like Soup Bowl. The goal was just to get through.
Now I'm ready to go again, and with a better equipped group do some of the harder lines. I will also be lighter if I make it. Had four people and more gear than needed, so it was quite a load.

BaddestCross

Last trip was with my friend on 34's. We finished the trail, I helped him over some of the places he didn't have enough clearance for, but we skipped Old Sluice and did not do any optional lines like Soup Bowl. The goal was just to get through.
Now I'm ready to go again, and with a better equipped group do some of the harder lines. I will also be lighter if I make it. Had four people and more gear than needed, so it was quite a load.
Hope you can make it up... It'd be good to wheel with you again. 🍻

--

jesse3638

Hooked

Damn just seeing this. I swapped in my kings and have my old 5100's in the garage you could have borrowed. They don't even compare to the kings but at least they wouldn't be "locked" up..haha.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
I’m going to be staying with family in Sacramento the night before.
What time do we want to meet up at the trail head Saturday morning?

We haven't actually discussed a time other than early. PM Samuel your # and you can be included as we get closer.
I think I'd vote for 8 AM at the trail head

At least that makes sense to me.

jdofmemi

Short of something going wrong with work, I am driving up Friday afternoon/night and will figure out where to stop to be able to meet up Saturday morning.

Are you guys planning on starting at Loon Lake, or Wentworth Springs?

BaddestCross

Short of something going wrong with work, I am driving up Friday afternoon/night and will figure out where to stop to be able to meet up Saturday morning.

Are you guys planning on starting at Loon Lake, or Wentworth Springs?
Someone else will have to answer your question on the start point, but I'm glad to hear you're gonna be able to make it up! 🍻

--

Top Bottom