Running 37s on a stock dana 30 axle

RDE2ROK

Donny I did just fine with a built 30 wheelin and have fun with 35s, I didn't start having problems until I went to 37s! It's just too much for that axle.:icon_crazy:

Gibbo

While it is true that both the Rubicon 44 and Dana 30 have the same end forgings and axle tubes, the housings are quite different as are the axle shafts. The Dana 44 will have a much bigger and stronger ring and pinion and the shafts are considerably bigger and beefier - this is where you would most likely see a break.

Your not wrong about the difference between the dana 30 and dana 44 ring and pinion. While I'm following everyone's advise on the forum and building my dana 30 for 35's -gussets, axles, and ball joints- the tire shop offered me 37x12.5x17 for only $15.00 more (per tire) than the 35x12.5x17" tires I planned on running, so here I am considering it again. That is until I received my gears (4.88) today. The difference between the 2 rings is huge. While I don't wheel as hard as you rock stars over there, I do like doing some wheel'in, and after seeing that d30 ring I think I'll be quite happy with 35's, especially with an air locker in there as well.:thumb:

Gibbo

Here's a couple of photos for people like myself who haven't seen the difference between the dana 30 and dana 44 gearing. It just blows me away,I had no idea there was that much difference. I roughly measured the rings with a tape measure, and D30 7 1/8" DIA x 1 3/8" thick, D44 8 3/4" DIA x 1 5/8" thick. Big diff. in pinions as well. 2013-01-20 14.50.54.jpg 2013-01-20 17.34.52.jpg

Re: 37's on a d30?

YES!!! do a search there are a number of threads regarding this!

andrew -

edit: not being a d*ck.... just know there is a boat load of info and opinions out there on this!

You can. I would not suggest it. Even if you beef up things the torque from the 37's is really hard on your Dana 30.

Paycheck. Nothing against you personally. However I left jk forums and others due to answers like this. A simple yes, and use google. Works. :)

I hope this forum does not turn into the others. It completely ruins the vibe.

Re: 37's on a d30?

You can. I would not suggest it. Even if you beef up things the torque from the 37's is really hard on your Dana 30.

Paycheck. Nothing against you personally. However I left jk forums and others due to answers like this. A simple yes, and use google. Works. :)

I hope this forum does not turn into the others. It completely ruins the vibe.

dude read my post. i was not sarcastic nor was i a d*ck. just stating there was a bunch of info on this already..... but since i was called out, i run 37" km2s on a 30 with EVO C-gussets/EVO .44 mags & 5.13s. i wheel easy and take easy lines. you just need to be easy and dont lock it. depending on your motor, 4.88s may be a safer choice.

is that better?

andrew -

Last edited:

aaronstephen

dude read my post. i was not sarcastic nor was i a d*ck. just stating there was a bunch of info on this already..... but since i was called out, i run 37" km2s on a 30 with EVO C-gussets/EVO .44 mags & 5.13s. i wheel easy and take easy lines. you just need to be easy and dont lock it. depending on your motor, 4.88s may be a safer choice.

is that better?

andrew -

How long have you been running this setup?

Is probably just run 4.88's since I have the 3.6l

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Anyway I can run. 37" MTR's on a Dana 30? Is this possible?

You can run whatever you want but, I wouldn't recommend it. Your axle housing will do just fine even without sleeves just like the 44 but, it's your axle shafts and gears that'll be your weak points. In a Dana 30, a 5.13 gear (what you would want to run) has a really really small pinion and even if you could get your shafts to last, a break there is likely if you wheel your Jeep hard enough. Of course, everyone has their own idea of what wheeling hard or often is and all I can say is that you're talking to a guy who's broken Dana 44's and even a 60.

aaronstephen

You can run whatever you want but, I wouldn't recommend it. Your axle housing will do just fine even without sleeves just like the 44 but, it's your axle shafts and gears that'll be your weak points. In a Dana 30, a 5.13 gear (what you would want to run) has a really really small pinion and even if you could get your shafts to last, a break there is likely if you wheel your Jeep hard enough. Of course, everyone has their own idea of what wheeling hard or often is and all I can say is that you're talking to a guy who's broken Dana 44's and even a 60.

Do you think it would help if I ran the KM2's since they're only 2 pounds heavier than the. 35's?

It wouldnt hurt that is for sure. I am worried about "upgrading" to Nitto Trail Grappers as they are a bit heavier and that may be pushing my luck. I like my setup though. I do want a 44 (either rubi or PR) if for no other reason then to have a bigger R&P (5.13s), because if I am not mistaken, that is the only difference between a 30 and a rubi 44 (please someone correct me if I am wrong). A true "upgrade" though would be a PR44 - but as is anything - that take this $$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!

Philip *AZ*

Banned
37's on a d30?

I do want a 44 (either rubi or PR) if for no other reason then to have a bigger R&P (5.13s), because if I am not mistaken, that is the only difference between a 30 and a rubi 44 (please someone correct me if I am wrong).!

Youre not wrong. Eddie, Chris and a couple others have already stated this fact, multiple times.

Lock Down or Get Locked Up

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
37's on a d30?

Do you think it would help if I ran the KM2's since they're only 2 pounds heavier than the. 35's?

It's not the weight you should be concerned with but the size. Your tires are like big gears - the bigger they are, the more it takes to rotate them.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
37's on a d30?

It wouldnt hurt that is for sure. I am worried about "upgrading" to Nitto Trail Grappers as they are a bit heavier and that may be pushing my luck. I like my setup though. I do want a 44 (either rubi or PR) if for no other reason then to have a bigger R&P (5.13s), because if I am not mistaken, that is the only difference between a 30 and a rubi 44 (please someone correct me if I am wrong). A true "upgrade" though would be a PR44 - but as is anything - that take this $$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!

They are only about 8 lbs heavier a piece - far from enough to matter.

Regarding Rubi 44's, the only difference in them are the diff and shafts. The tubes, end forgings, knuckles and brakes are all the same.

is that better?

andrew -

Sorry that I came across strongly. I did read your whole post.

I really just don't want people cutting on people for asking questions that have been asked. I'd rather teach them how to search then tell them to search. ;)

xflstl

37's on a dana 30. There are people out there doing it, however it isn't a good idea IMO. 37's are kind of the line most people with D44's are thinking they better goto D60's asap. If you are a complete street Jeep guy then go for it, If you wheel it so mildly that you look for a bypass to the bypass then go for it. If you wheel hard enough to make anyone you know nervous at all then you better get a D44 or D60 before going to 37's.

Top Bottom