Running 37s on a stock dana 30 axle

Moe jk

I wheel the hell out of my d30 been on 37s for over two years and zero issues .. and have never done a bypass. Anything will break if your a fool!

Last edited:

Berzerker

Supporting Advertiser TrailJeeps
I wheel the hell out of my d30 been on 37s for over two years and zero issues .. and have never done a bypass. Anything will break if your a fool !

Well I am no subject matter expert, but I sheered my ring gear running 5:13's and 35's on my d30. I am currently considering 37's on my Rubi and it makes me a little uneasy. I would like to think that most of us, try not to dump tones of money on axel reinforcement just to find out that we wasted it. That being said I think the question is "how much are you willing to pay to be wrong?" I could technically run tank tracks on a tricycle but that doesn't mean in smart for doing it.

Re: 37's on a d30?

37's on a dana 30. There are people out there doing it, however it isn't a good idea IMO. 37's are kind of the line most people with D44's are thinking they better goto D60's asap. If you are a complete street Jeep guy then go for it, If you wheel it so mildly that you look for a bypass to the bypass then go for it. If you wheel hard enough to make anyone you know nervous at all then you better get a D44 or D60 before going to 37's.

my last post was responding to this...

andrew -

I wheel the hell out of my d30 been on 37s for over two years and zero issues .. and have never done a bypass. Anything will break if your a fool !

well that is just not a smart thing to say as everything breaks! to say "fools" break stuff is a general statement which is just not true. we all break stuff. 30s break, 44s break, pr44s break and yes 60s break. but they break because of use and not because said users are fools.

andrew -

Moe jk

well that is just not a smart thing to say as everything breaks! to say "fools" break stuff is a general statement which is just not true. we all break stuff. 30s break, 44s break, pr44s break and yes 60s break. but they break because of use and not because said users are fools.

andrew -

Man touchy guys give me a break really.. Don't think I called anyone a fool... Is this better if your foolish!

might be yes! i get what your saying, foolishness leads to foolishness. but to say your a fool if your stuff breaks is a bit rough. i have yet to break mine yet, but i know it is gonna break in time.

andrew -

Philip *AZ*

Banned
Regarding Rubi 44's, the only difference in them are the diff and shafts. The tubes, end forgings, knuckles and brakes are all the same.

With what Eddie said here I can understand it. (Just using your comment, not commenting you perse)
With the R&P being the only real difference between a D44 and a D30, I will take my chances with the D30. A quality set of axles and a quality R&P will help the D30. Additional strengthening can be added if the user wishes. Also, most of the breaks I have heard of on this subject have mostly been the 5:13 ratio. It has also been said that the Pinion is small and the Ring is thin compared to a 4:88 lets say. I firmly believe the way the vehicle is driven also has a major factor in breaking stuff. Eddie breaking a Dana 60 probably wasn't from him and his wife running to the mall real quick to get a new pair of shoes. He wheels his Jeep smartly (most the time), but he is also traversing some big stuff. If any of you have watched the Heartland videos, you can clearly see that there are some places that they were not exactly crawling over stuff. It was hammer down and hope for the best. That is the type of stuff that is going to create breaks. Hard angles on certain things will cause breaks even in a slow crawl. Watched a guy on youtube back his JK up on a tree stump and completely destroyed his passenger front U-Joint and axle. He was creepin it up there too. Some of you guys on here are looking to run big stuff. Not everyone wants 37 - 40" tires. Certainly not everyone wheels as hard as the next Jeeper. Everything about this axle debate is completely subjective and can be approached from many different angles. I like to take my Jeep out and enjoy it, crawl through a bit of nasty to get to scenic areas. I wheel smartly, if it looks too ugly, then absolutely I will find a way around it. I never plan to run a tire bigger than a 37. For my uses the D30 will fit my needs. The D30 is also cheaper to fix. A PR44 is pretty expensive for the average person to just go out and buy, then factor gears, axle shafts, lockers...etc. I think the D30 gives your average user a very good platform to learn how to use the vehicle off road and if a break occurs, they can fix it relatively cheap. It also allows a said user the time to save up for something larger if they so choose. Like I have said before, not all of us are building EVO 1"s and Moby's. Hell even Rubicat is built pretty stout. That's more than most of us will really ever need. Some of you have forgotten that there are those out there that don't intend to go big. I also believe you are taking away a said person's confidence in what they already have in their rigs from purchase. They are afraid to go enjoy it because they read threads like this. Yes, it is an informative part of learning about the Jeep, but automatically just saying if you run a 35-37" tire you are going to break. It may not be the case for every person. :twocents:

aaronstephen

With what Eddie said here I can understand it. (Just using your comment, not commenting you perse)
With the R&P being the only real difference between a D44 and a D30, I will take my chances with the D30. A quality set of axles and a quality R&P will help the D30. Additional strengthening can be added if the user wishes. Also, most of the breaks I have heard of on this subject have mostly been the 5:13 ratio. It has also been said that the Pinion is small and the Ring is thin compared to a 4:88 lets say. I firmly believe the way the vehicle is driven also has a major factor in breaking stuff. Eddie breaking a Dana 60 probably wasn't from him and his wife running to the mall real quick to get a new pair of shoes. He wheels his Jeep smartly (most the time), but he is also traversing some big stuff. If any of you have watched the Heartland videos, you can clearly see that there are some places that they were not exactly crawling over stuff. It was hammer down and hope for the best. That is the type of stuff that is going to create breaks. Hard angles on certain things will cause breaks even in a slow crawl. Watched a guy on youtube back his JK up on a tree stump and completely destroyed his passenger front U-Joint and axle. He was creepin it up there too. Some of you guys on here are looking to run big stuff. Not everyone wants 37 - 40" tires. Certainly not everyone wheels as hard as the next Jeeper. Everything about this axle debate is completely subjective and can be approached from many different angles. I like to take my Jeep out and enjoy it, crawl through a bit of nasty to get to scenic areas. I wheel smartly, if it looks too ugly, then absolutely I will find a way around it. I never plan to run a tire bigger than a 37. For my uses the D30 will fit my needs. The D30 is also cheaper to fix. A PR44 is pretty expensive for the average person to just go out and buy, then factor gears, axle shafts, lockers...etc. I think the D30 gives your average user a very good platform to learn how to use the vehicle off road and if a break occurs, they can fix it relatively cheap. It also allows a said user the time to save up for something larger if they so choose. Like I have said before, not all of us are building EVO 1"s and Moby's. Hell even Rubicat is built pretty stout. That's more than most of us will really ever need. Some of you have forgotten that there are those out there that don't intend to go big. I also believe you are taking away a said person's confidence in what they already have in their rigs from purchase. They are afraid to go enjoy it because they read threads like this. Yes, it is an informative part of learning about the Jeep, but automatically just saying if you run a 35-37" tire you are going to break. It may not be the case for every person. :twocents:

Thanks for your thoughts. It can be hard to get good well thought out opinions on here and I appreciate your response.

I may not ever go with 37" tires and there is a lot to consider when I do upgrade my tires. I'm not really interested in rock crawling, just mud, sand and wooded trails for me.

I am running 35's right now. What would be good to reinforce my d30? Gussets and what else? I think i saw a company selling something that you welded on top of the axle as well? Anyone else see this? Would it help?

Philip *AZ*

Banned
Thanks for your thoughts. It can be hard to get good well thought out opinions on here and I appreciate your response.

I may not ever go with 37" tires and there is a lot to consider when I do upgrade my tires. I'm not really interested in rock crawling, just mud, sand and wooded trails for me.

I am running 35's right now. What would be good to reinforce my d30? Gussets and what else? I think i saw a company selling something that you welded on top of the axle as well? Anyone else see this? Would it help?

The Outer sleeves are made by a couple companies. The one I am going to go with is made by RSE (www.rockslideengineering.com) Also you can run chromoly axles and a good ring and pinion. Stronger U-Joints for your axles will help as well. You can also run inner sleeves if you so desire. That prettye much cover what I can think of. I will actually be using everything I mentioned. I am going to be using the RSE outer sleeve kit, and the Artec armor kit from Northridge 4x4 on both axles. G2 R&P (4:88) & chromoly axle shafts. I will also be using an ARB in the D30 and most likely a Detroit out back in the D44. I will be RSE sleeving the rear D44 as well. it a lot I know, but it allows me to use what I have already and for a long time. I hope this helps a little bit.
Sorry for all of the misspellings too, yeesh. I am tired...lol

Last edited:

StrizzyChris

just to add...the axle shafts in a D44 are also slightly larger and have a higher spline count, than a D30, which add strength. But running 35's and shorter gears I.E 4.88 or lower and you will obviously fair much better than the guys with 37's on 5.13's.

Philip *AZ*

Banned
37's on a d30?

just to add...the axle shafts in a D44 are also slightly larger and have a higher spline count, than a D30, which add strength. But running 35's and shorter gears I.E 4.88 or lower and you will obviously fair much better than the guys with 37's on 5.13's.

Thanks for the addition Chris. I was under the impression the axle shafts were the same as far as diameter. Good to know for when if I decide to jump up to the larger 37's and PR44.

Lock Down or Get Locked Up

1BAMFR

2013-02-10_13-38-04_391_zps0424093d.jpg

I run 37" Nittos on my Dana 30...no problems yet!

RCV axles, sleeves, gussets, Eaton locker, and 4.88 gears.

Top Bottom