Running without front axle stub shaft (trail fix)

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
The unit bearings support the whole front of jeep. its what transfers the the force from the ground, through the wheel, into the knuckle. :yup: the factory front axle is BASICALLY a full float setup. the rotational force is carried by the shaft, and the mass is carried by the unit bearing/housing assembly.

Last edited:

Bustedback

Don't drive it without a stub shaft in the unit bearing, it can come apart and ruin your day.

Typed by my very own fat fingers on my iPad or iPhone.

WJCO

Meme King
Don't drive it without a stub shaft in the unit bearing, it can come apart and ruin your day.

How would it come apart? I've known several people who have driven around like this after an axle break with no issues.

J

JKDream

That was only the case on older Jeeps with non sealed bearings. JKs are sealed, the stub shaft serves no other purpose other than turning the tire.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That was only the case on older Jeeps with non sealed bearings. JKs are sealed, the stub shaft serves no other purpose other than turning the tire.

This ^^^ The stub shaft requirement was a TJ thing, the JK does not need it. I've personally driven about a thousand miles without a shaft in place. Just make sure to plug the axle tube with a rag or the like.

Bustedback

The bearings are pressed onto the flanged part of the hub. The stub shaft keeps tension on the bearings and keep them from coming off of the flanged part of the hub. Yes, they're sealed bearings, but they can still come apart without a stub shaft.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The bearings are pressed onto the flanged part of the hub. The stub shaft keeps tension on the bearings and keep them from coming off of the flanged part of the hub. Yes, they're sealed bearings, but they can still come apart without a stub shaft.

Not true at all. At least, I have never seen it happen over the last 10 years.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
X2. If that was true early model 2wd JKS would have wheels falling off. But they didn't. And it's the same unit bearing.

Yup. Hard to believe that JK's were made in a 2WD back in the day and they did come with the same unit bearings. :yup:

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
How would it come apart? I've known several people who have driven around like this after an axle break with no issues.

I've tried searching on this as well. I've heard of people removing a shaft and driving home on the unit bearing. I'd have to remove both shafts, right? My outer stub is wallowed. So need to get a replacement from g2. U joints will be here today and unit bearing bolts tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've tried searching on this as well. I've heard of people removing a shaft and driving home on the unit bearing. I'd have to remove both shafts, right? My outer stub is wallowed. So need to get a replacement from g2. U joints will be here today and unit bearing bolts tomorrow.

You can run with just one shaft out. If you're G2 is made for it, I'd highly recommend you run full circle clips on your u-joints to prevent something like this happening again.

J

JKDream

Ideally yes youd want to remove both shafts. Otherwise you risk breaking the side that is still in place. Just a heads up for the thread: the axle nut only serves the purpose of keeping the axle shaft from walking in and out of the splines. It does NOT hold your unit bearing together.

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
You can run with just one shaft out. If you're G2 is made for it, I'd highly recommend you run full circle clips on your u-joints to prevent something like this happening again.

They came with full circle clips.
They all still had the circle clips attached. Just looks like the ends blew out. This is where it broke and then I think it blew the ends out.

IMG_3300.jpg

WJCO

Meme King

Here's the stub wallowed.

After seeing that video, I'm thinking that may have been the cause of the failure. For that hole to be that elongated, that did not happen suddenly. I'm thinking that ujoint cap was walking around in there for awhile and then finally went. Wonder if the cap was the wrong size or something wasn't manufactured properly.

Top Bottom