Running without front axle stub shaft (trail fix)

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
After seeing that video, I'm thinking that may have been the cause of the failure. For that hole to be that elongated, that did not happen suddenly. I'm thinking that ujoint cap was walking around in there for awhile and then finally went. Wonder if the cap was the wrong size or something wasn't manufactured properly.

May explain my popping noise I've had.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
They came with full circle clips.
They all still had the circle clips attached. Just looks like the ends blew out. This is where it broke and then I think it blew the ends out.

Wow, that's lame. I figured the wollowing was caused by the bearing cap being gone. Guess I'm glad that I've never run G2 shafts.

More than likely.

WJCO

Meme King

If the cap is still somewhat in tact and not scored, maybe measure it and compare it to another one. Obviously you already have new shafts coming, but just so you know for sure what caused it. Sure does look to me like it's been wearing for awhile. How long has that popping noise been going on?

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
If the cap is still somewhat in tact and not scored, maybe measure it and compare it to another one. Obviously you already have new shafts coming, but just so you know for sure what caused it. Sure does look to me like it's been wearing for awhile. How long has that popping noise been going on?

Maybe the past month. I didn't see any play or movement. The shafts are only five months old as in driving on them.

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug

Maybe the past month. I didn't see any play or movement. The shafts are only five months old as in driving on them.

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
Wheel sitting on unit bearing.

Should of done it on the trail to save some damage.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app[/.

You will next time [emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Well looking back at pictures. Only thing i did damaged was the unit bearing bolts and the ears of the short shaft.

IMG_3260.jpg

This was it on the trail. It wallowed the stub when I snapped the u joint.

Last edited:

nbunga

Caught the Bug
My brother and I were making an internal repair on my transfer case that needed one of the shafts removed. It was going to be a couple of days before my My Dad was machining some upgraded parts for it. It didn't even cross our minds that we couldn't just put everything back together minus the shaft. I made it about a quarter mile down the road before the driver side wheel went flying one way with the rotor and half the bearing attached.

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
My brother and I were making an internal repair on my transfer case that needed one of the shafts removed. It was going to be a couple of days before my My Dad was machining some upgraded parts for it. It didn't even cross our minds that we couldn't just put everything back together minus the shaft. I made it about a quarter mile down the road before the driver side wheel went flying one way with the rotor and half the bearing attached.

On a JK?

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
Oh no. 2003 F150

That makes sense. Not all unit bearings are sealed or designed the same. Most unit bearings for front wheel drive or front 4x4 DO need the axle shaft in with axle nut tight in order to stay together. However, the JK's sealed unit bearing does not need the axle shaft in to support the vehicles weight while in motion.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
That makes sense. Not all unit bearings are sealed or designed the same. Most unit bearings for front wheel drive or front 4x4 DO need the axle shaft in with axle nut tight in order to stay together. However, the JK's sealed unit bearing does not need the axle shaft in to support the vehicles weight while in motion.

Where you been man? Am glad to see you on here... would you like to make a trip out to Bundy Hill offroad park next sun?

Top Bottom