Sharkey's Tip of the Day

Ddays

Hooked
.perhaps we need to prioritize where these items are manufactured and stored so we are not reliant of foreign countries for our basic needs...

Can't find where I read it now that I've been on so many sites this morning, but this very issue is being brought to Trump as a matter of national defense. Of course the big Pharma lobbyists are resisting like hell.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Can't find where I read it now that I've been on so many sites this morning, but this very issue is being brought to Trump as a matter of national defense. Of course the big Pharma lobbyists are resisting like hell.

He made a point yesterday to state that a couple times. Out of all of this, I hope that’s one change that comes to fruition.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Ddays

Hooked
He made a point yesterday to state that a couple times. Out of all of this, I hope that’s one change that comes to fruition.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Another I'd like to see is for more manufacturing come back to at least North America.

jdofmemi

It’s a wake up call that clearly demonstrates how unprepared we are as a nation for something of this magnitude...we cost basis everything in our lives, including health care. I’ve always believed in true capitalism, and believe in a smaller, efficient government and rely on the private sector to shape most of our needs through supply and demand. However, I am now much more willing to discuss how our health care situation may need to be overhauled and perhaps run as a Gov’t institution...when hospital and emergency care decisions are made solely on profit considerations, too many bad things can happen to our supply chain of basic health care items...perhaps we need to prioritize where these items are manufactured and stored so we are not reliant of foreign countries for our basic needs...

Well said!

I think by the time this runs its course, there will be a lot of changes in thinking.

Some good may come from it, but we will pay a dear price in the short term.

JKbrick

Sharkey I agree with most of your first statement, I would do Anything for my family. I just am curious how you think this could kill 2 million Americans when China has 81,250 cases with 3,253 deaths? Maybe I took what you meant wrong

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Sharkey I agree with most of your first statement, I would do Anything for my family. I just am curious how you think this could kill 2 million Americans when China has 81,250 cases with 3,253 deaths? Maybe I took what you meant wrong

Oh, I don’t think it likely would. That’s part of the problem. Mortality rates have been quantified as a percentage of deaths to positive tests. Then those percentage rates are being applied as against the population as a whole to arrive at the 2 million number.

The news stories and statements out there from the politicians are absolutely that this will “kill millions” if left unchecked.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Last edited:

Brute

Hooked

Do you actually believe the numbers the Chinese are giving us?...or Iran?...we didn’t know how bad it was in Iran until we had routine satellite surveillance pics of mass graves...

jab1719

Do you actually believe the numbers the Chinese are giving us?...or Iran?...we didn’t know how bad it was in Iran until we had routine satellite surveillance pics of mass graves...

I agree, no way the Chinese are telling the truth we already proved they lied about it in the beginning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jesse3638

Hooked
Well said sharkey. We as people do not want to see people sick or perish. As you mentioned the tunnel vision and reactive nature of the decisions being made can, will, and are going to have a long lasting effect. Emotions can reek havoc on ones decision making ability when it comes to innocent human lives.

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Brute

Hooked
We are kidding ourselves to think life will return to “normal” in thirty, sixty, or even ninety days…and I am profoundly afraid of the precedent that has now been set. With each new directive, it appears that our leaders have chosen to sacrifice the future economic well being of our children to possibly save the lives of a very small percentage of the population. It is no less scary to me to see our society accept such a result without demanding the answers to very difficult questions.

Let me be clear, I understand that Covid-19 will likely kill thousands, perhaps millions, of people across the United States. But, how many people will be confined to a life of poverty and die over the next decade from a depression created by the present fear that some people will die?

Are you willing to destroy the economy and standard of living for 330 million people to save the lives of two people? What about to save the lives of two thousand people? What about the lives of 200,000 people? What about to save the lives of 2 million people? Does it matter if the lives we are talking about are already marginalized for some reason? I don’t know the answers to these questions, much less if there can even be “right” answers.

All I know is that I am unwilling to sacrifice my children’s futures in exchange for my own. How many parents out there routinely say that they would do ANYTHING for their kids, their grandkids, and their nieces and nephews? Then why does it feel like we are doing the opposite of the mantra that is so foundational to being a parent: the future of your children above ALL else…even your own life.

I’ve been giving this some more thought...

I know (I believe) that you would be willing to sacrifice your life for the lives of your children...I know I would, and believe that most parents would feel the same way...but the question you are asking is would you be willing to sacrifice the financial well being of your children over the lives of strangers,...and the answer may depend on how many lives are at stake...

I started to think how the military mindset of leave no man behind relates to this question...how many people (military) are willing to be sacrificed in order to rescue or save just one life...

If the life that is being saved was one of your children, how would the economy factor into your calculation of that decision?...

WJCO

Meme King
I’ve been giving this some more thought...

I know (I believe) that you would be willing to sacrifice your life for the lives of your children...I know I would, and believe that most parents would feel the same way...but the question you are asking is would you be willing to sacrifice the financial well being of your children over the lives of strangers,...and the answer may depend on how many lives are at stake...

I started to think how the military mindset of leave no man behind relates to this question...how many people (military) are willing to be sacrificed in order to rescue or save just one life...

If the life that is being saved was one of your children, how would the economy factor into your calculation of that decision?...

I'm not speaking for Sharkey but from my own perception of your question and his response (especially with what's going on currently), in my opinion it's not a matter for me as a direct economic figure but rather a standard of living that reflects true capitalism and the desire to work hard to build something that is at stake, along with a sense of morality and pride. In my opinion with the measures that have been taken recently and over the last decades, our children will not be able to experience the lives that we have had. The decisions of our leaders are leading us into a 3rd world style nation and our children will not have the same experience that we had. And this has nothing to do with direct 'economic figures' other than more debt that they will be responsible for. To me, it's happening right before our eyes.

Brute

Hooked
I'm not speaking for Sharkey but from my own perception of your question and his response (especially with what's going on currently), in my opinion it's not a matter for me as a direct economic figure but rather a standard of living that reflects true capitalism and the desire to work hard to build something that is at stake, along with a sense of morality and pride. In my opinion with the measures that have been taken recently and over the last decades, our children will not be able to experience the lives that we have had. The decisions of our leaders are leading us into a 3rd world style nation and our children will not have the same experience that we had. And this has nothing to do with direct 'economic figures' other than more debt that they will be responsible for. To me, it's happening right before our eyes.

I think (and hope) you are underestimating the abilities of our children...historically there have been generations that have gone through extreme hardships, whether it was world war or the Great Depression...yet the entrepreneurial spirit and ingenuity of the next generation overcame all of these obstacles...

WJCO

Meme King
I think (and hope) you are underestimating the abilities of our children...historically there have been generations that have gone through extreme hardships, whether it was world war or the Great Depression...yet the entrepreneurial spirit and ingenuity of the next generation overcame all of these obstacles...

I don't doubt the abilities of our children but I think our current state of government (NEARLY ALL OF THEM REGARDLESS OF POLITICAL PARTY) are still doing things for their own interests politically which will cripple the future of our own children. As I've stated previously, I think the Coronavirus is still being used politically from the top down. I hope I'm wrong.

jeeeep

Hooked
While i feel isolation and bringing the economy to a halt is not ideal. I feel I understand the why.

IMO I think it's an issue of trying to protect individuals from having to be in a position of deciding who will live or die when medical facilities are overwhelmed.

Being the litigious society that we are, I can see lawsuits for decades due to an overwhelmed system not capable of dealing with this.
Even now, there are patients in hospitals on life support where the family has sued to stop the hospital from removing the devices supporting them. Those devices could probably be used to treat someone with Covid-19?
Are the current patients using the respirators and other devices required to treat Covid-19 that are under long term care necessary?
If our medical facilities get overwhelmed, who would make the decision to treat this individual over another?
Do the private hospitals turn away the less wealthy for those offering to pay much more to get preferential treatment? it happens now...
In an overwhelmed system, if you as a parent gets ill do you forgo treatment in order to save the resources for your children?

I have a friend who works for the TSA, he got ill in January as people were rushing to return and before the reality of how contagious this virus is was realized.
Took him 21 days to recover from the pneumonia and all but still doesn't feel 100% (spoke to him yesterday).
Once he got ill, it wasn't long after that his wife and 3 children all fell ill with the same issues. His young son is now going thru his 2nd infection with pneumonia in the lung that was not affected the 1st time.
If the hospital was overwhelmed with patients, I wonder how is family would have fared on getting treatment.

I don't like that the economy is going to shit, but i get the reasoning.

Zstairlessone

If 10% of Americans get it, and the same ratio die, we’re looking at 1,200,000+ people. 4% mortality in China

JKbrick

If 10% of Americans get it, and the same ratio die, we’re looking at 1,200,000+ people. 4% mortality in China

I bet a lot more than 80 some thousand had it in China. And who knows if less than 4,000 actually died, but I don’t think there will ever be an accurate count of how many people get it. You may get it the day after your tested and think you have a cold? Idk really

Brute

Hooked
I bet a lot more than 80 some thousand had it in China. And who knows if less than 4,000 actually died, but I don’t think there will ever be an accurate count of how many people get it. You may get it the day after your tested and think you have a cold? Idk really

China always tells the truth...hehe

Top Bottom