Show Us Your Deck!

DIY Rear Storage Solutions

I'm considering building a rear storage for my 4dr JK and would like to see what you guys have built yourself. I've seen a few false floor enclosures with slides and some with lids that can be lifted. The only issue I can see with lifting lids is having to take out whatever you have stored on top, like an ARB fridge or cooler.

I've seen aftermarket storage boxes made by Tuffy, Smittybilt, ARB, etc., but I would rather have something a little more customized. I've even considered having a setup that I could fold down the rear seats and place a backpacking mattress to sleep on when climbing or camping.

Here's a list of key features for my build (you may have different priorities):
1. Concealed or not noticeable
2. Easy access
3. Can or could be locked up
4. Resistant to weather / water proof compartments when the top is off

Let's see what you have done with your DIY rear storage and give a little description on why you built yours!

WJCO

Meme King
I'm considering building a rear storage for my 4dr JK and would like to see what you guys have built yourself. I've seen a few false floor enclosures with slides and some with lids that can be lifted. The only issue I can see with lifting lids is having to take out whatever you have stored on top, like an ARB fridge or cooler.

I've seen aftermarket storage boxes made by Tuffy, Smittybilt, ARB, etc., but I would rather have something a little more customized. I've even considered having a setup that I could fold down the rear seats and place a backpacking mattress to sleep on when climbing or camping.

Here's a list of key features for my build (you may have different priorities):
1. Concealed or not noticeable
2. Easy access
3. Can or could be locked up
4. Resistant to weather / water proof compartments when the top is off

Let's see what you have done with your DIY rear storage and give a little description on why you built yours!

Merged to existing thread.

WJCO

Meme King
Here's what we built for the wife's. Ply wood, bedliner, tie downs, and threaded knobs to secure it.

IMG_20170429_153448_939.jpg

IMG_20170430_172754_097.jpg

0501171457.jpg

0502171524.jpg

0502171456.jpg

0502171449.jpg

0502171450.jpg

0502171448.jpg

BertaNation

IMG_4042.JPG
IMG_4581.JPG

My DIY.
Pros - carries the cooler, my storage boxes full of gear fit great underneath it, keeps sticky hands out of my cargo area, I can even stand on it if I stay near the side

Cons- gotta take it off to put the hard top on.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JAGS

Hooked
Here's the version I came up. Custom DIY. Bits and pieces from others as well as my own spin. Gives the maximum amount of open space underneath with enough support for a fridge on top.

IMG_1422.jpg

IMG_1673.jpg

IMG_1657.jpg

IMG_1461.JPG

You can check out more here if interested. DIY JK Trunk deck and security enclosure

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=45451

Interior rear cargo rack

I was wondering if any of you use an interior rear cargo rack? I am going to install a fridge slide for my ARB 50qt and was thinking it would be nice to have a rack that fit above the fridge. I've done so much google searching but wanted to ask you for real world feedback.

I think i would want a rack that mounted to the sport cage instead of the hardtop bolts...

For any of you who have this type of setup, did this provide the function you thought it would and would you do it again? Any cargo rack recommendations?

Thanks for your input.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I was wondering if any of you use an interior rear cargo rack? I am going to install a fridge slide for my ARB 50qt and was thinking it would be nice to have a rack that fit above the fridge. I've done so much google searching but wanted to ask you for real world feedback.

I think i would want a rack that mounted to the sport cage instead of the hardtop bolts...

For any of you who have this type of setup, did this provide the function you thought it would and would you do it again? Any cargo rack recommendations?

Thanks for your input.

Build your own. :thumb: Look at the "show us your deck" thread.

MTG

Caught the Bug

Thanks for your input.

I still haven't pulled the trigger on one, so no first hand experience yet. Still noodling on it. Here is a link with some sources/ideas/links to other threads/douchebag comments:

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/48252-Share-your-JKU-rear-cargo-storage

MericaMade

How has the bed liner held up? I am in the middle of make a new one and going back and fourth on carpet or bed liner. I have heard the bed liner doesn't adhere to the wood all that great.

WJCO

Meme King
How has the bed liner held up? I am in the middle of make a new one and going back and fourth on carpet or bed liner.
We sold it about a year ago but it was perfect. No issues with it at all. I'd do it again for sure. I used the same stuff on the bed of the Gladiator and only have one mark that I have to touch up just because I slid a heavy metal object on it.

MericaMade

We sold it about a year ago but it was perfect. No issues with it at all. I'd do it again for sure. I used the same stuff on the bed of the Gladiator and only have one mark that I have to touch up just because I slid a heavy metal object on it.
O nice. What brand did you use and I assume it was the roll on and not spray on?

WJCO

Meme King
O nice. What brand did you use and I assume it was the roll on and not spray on?
I went with Herculiner. It's cheap, comes in a gallon. I used a brush vs a roller because it splatters less. I just kept mixing it in the can as I brushed so it would get the most even texture (it has chunks of rubber in it). It's doesn't look near as good as a spray on, but good enough for what we were going for and cheap.

Here's a first coat picture I had of the truck bed (same product), you can see the brush lines near the edges to get an idea of how it looks. It applies really easy. I think I did 3 coats on the JK deck though.

IMG_20191013_140345_078.jpg

MericaMade

I went with Herculiner. It's cheap, comes in a gallon. I used a brush vs a roller because it splatters less. I just kept mixing it in the can as I brushed so it would get the most even texture (it has chunks of rubber in it). It's doesn't look near as good as a spray on, but good enough for what we were going for and cheap.

Here's a first coat picture I had of the truck bed (same product), you can see the brush lines near the edges to get an idea of how it looks. It applies really easy. I think I did 3 coats on the JK deck though.

View attachment 364245
Looks, good! I am going to go that route on the new deck. Thanks!

rubiDave

View attachment 364245
Looks good. What kind of surface prep did you do before applying the bedliner?

WJCO

Meme King
Looks good. What kind of surface prep did you do before applying the bedliner?
Thanks. I think on both the wood deck and the metal bed I used Acetone after sanding with 220. I can't remember for sure on the wood deck but I know for sure I did on the truck bed. I just used 220 and a palm sander on the bed to remove the paint gloss and then wiped a few times with acetone so it was clean.

Top Bottom