Skid Plates- Complete System (4 door JK)

dis_dis

Banned
I run the synergy skid plates and while they are a little more expensive than the competition, you get what you pay for ... I've tested them on more than one occasion and so far they've held better than expected :)

Also I am very surprised to hear bad things about RK customer service. I've had nothing but good experience with them also met some of them last weekend at the jeep show ... Pretty cool guys

Sent from my Nexus 4 using WAYALIFE mobile app

GCM 2

Also I am very surprised to hear bad things about RK customer service. I've had nothing but good experience with them also met some of them last weekend at the jeep show ... Pretty cool guys

I was really surprised too, it was quite disappointing that I had such a bad experience since they were known to be one of the leaders in our particular motorsports industry. Maybe they were just having an extra bad day when I contacted them :thinking: I definitely dont want this to become a "bash RK" thread, I just think there are much better alternatives now for skids out there :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you choose this route of only providing supplemental transmission skids in addition to the factory skids, I would steer clear of purchasing the Rock Krawler HD Deep Sump pan. The only reason I will ever give a negative comment on the Rock Krawler pan is the treatment I got from them for reporting a defective product directly to them. I understand things happen in manufacturing processes and human error can and will happen. The trans pan they sent to me only had about 50% of the welding completed to all the seams and corners, the sad thing is that it actually made it to their powder coater this way and then packed and shipped. I sent photos of the condition I recieved it back to Rock Krawler, then recieved an email response saying there was no way something like this was ship out. I made a phone call, was told that I could purchase a new one, but they were not refunding my purchase. It got really ugly from that point on. I ended up taking it to a buddies shop, bead blasted it, then finished welding the entire pan. When I get home to complete the install, three of the bolt holes don't even line up, all off about 1/8'',not warped from the welding kind of off center, but slid to the right or left kind of off center. No point in calling RK back, as this quality control check was probably my fault too. Anyway, I fix this issue too and two plus years later the pan still lets me know if I have trans fluid in it by leaving lovely little drippings everywhere I park. Iwill add that other than the pan being delivered with incomplete welds, mounting holes not aligned, the top mating flange not deck honed causing leaks, it does everything else it is supposed to do which is take abuse from rocks. So its got that going for it.....:thinking:

After face to face conversations with a few other guys that run the RK pan at some racing events and searching on other forums, my story is not a one of a kind with their HD Deep Sump pan. Their customer service has been slammed by many others on different forums for different products with a "not our fault, cannot help you" approach. This is the sole reason I do not recomend the purchase of their trans skid pan, really bad customer service. I have zero experience with any other RK product and it is solely because of this one episode.

Wow, I know you had some issues with your RK pan leaking and certainly know of others who've had the same problem but, never really knew the whole back end story regarding their customer service. Great info and I appreciate you putting this out there. Like you said, there are better options available today like the EVO ProTek system.

I run the synergy skid plates and while they are a little more expensive than the competition, you get what you pay for ... I've tested them on more than one occasion and so far they've held better than expected :)

So, I paid nothing to just keep running my factory skid plates and for the last 6+ years, they've done their job just fine just like I expected - does that I mean I got what I pay for?

GCM 2

Wow, I know you had some issues with your RK pan leaking and certainly know of others who've had the same problem but, never really knew the whole back end story regarding their customer service. Great info and I appreciate you putting this out there. Like you said, there are better options available today like the EVO ProTek system.

So, I paid nothing to just keep running my factory skid plates and for the last 6+ years, they've done their job just fine just like I expected - does that I mean I got what I pay for?

No problem, just keeping it real. Like you I am a big believer in the factory skid plates! Especially the fuel tank skid, no need to upgrade ever. Unfortunately, EVO had not yet come out with the Pro Tek set up so it was not an option for me. Prior to getting the Rock Krawler pan, I was about to pull the trigger on the Rockhard 4x4 full skid system and had a mind changing event. I spent almost 2hrs on an AZ trail helping Lo2ay remove the entire center section of his Rockhard skid plates just to get at his broken front driveshaft.......the irony of the situation was that the transmission skids plate was the cause of the driveshaft failure. I am not sure that Rockhard 4x4 skid plates were designed with a system like the EVO Double Throw Down in mind, the amount of suspension articulation Lo2ay was achieving was causing serious front driveshaft rubbing. You can see the all index/scoring marks on the driveshaft in the photo. EVO made certain to address this common issue with their skid plate design so they were not causing driveshaft failures.

Attachments

• image-868025890.jpg
    image-868025890.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 254
  • image-4217428396.jpg
    image-4217428396.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 245
The EVO Protek skids are nice, I was very happy with the install and cost, but I am concerned about their longevity. The picture below is from a single hit from a rock. It now touches my exhaust and rattles a bit. This portion of the skid is not that strong and needs reinforced. (I plan to do this this-weekend). I emailed EVO about it and they said that it looks like it did it's job. While I agree with them I expect a skid to last more than one hit.... What if I was on the Rubicon ??? They offered to sell me another at a discount, but if I buy another it will be a different type. (unless they do something to strengthen this part).

Don't get me wrong. I think they make pretty good stuff. But I'm not happy with the performance of this skid and after some research I am not the only one that has had this issue.

Skid+Front.jpg

Edit to add a few more pics.
IMG_20130623_194450_268.jpg Skid on Exhaust.jpg

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
No problem, just keeping it real. Like you I am a big believer in the factory skid plates! Especially the fuel tank skid, no need to upgrade ever. Unfortunately, EVO had not yet come out with the Pro Tek set up so it was not an option for me. Prior to getting the Rock Krawler pan, I was about to pull the trigger on the Rockhard 4x4 full skid system and had a mind changing event. I spent almost 2hrs on an AZ trail helping Lo2ay remove the entire center section of his Rockhard skid plates just to get at his broken front driveshaft.......the irony of the situation was that the transmission skids plate was the cause of the driveshaft failure. I am not sure that Rockhard 4x4 skid plates were designed with a system like the EVO Double Throw Down in mind, the amount of suspension articulation Lo2ay was achieving was causing serious front driveshaft rubbing. You can see the all index/scoring marks on the driveshaft in the photo. EVO made certain to address this common issue with their skid plate design so they were not causing driveshaft failures.

LOL!! Oh yeah, I remember that but never realized that you were with Luai on that trip.

The EVO Protek skids are nice, I was very happy with the install and cost, but I am concerned about their longevity. The picture below is from a single hit from a rock. It now touches my exhaust and rattles a bit. This portion of the skid is not that strong and needs reinforced. (I plan to do this this-weekend). I emailed EVO about it and they said that it looks like it did it's job. While I agree with them I expect a skid to last more than one hit.... What if I was on the Rubicon ??? They offered to sell me another at a discount, but if I buy another it will be a different type. (unless they do something to strengthen this part).

Don't get me wrong. I think they make pretty good stuff. But I'm not happy with the performance of this skid and after some research I am not the only one that has had this issue.

Well, in all fairness, it did do its job and more so than what you would of had from the factory which is nothing. Of course, we don't even run a cross member skid on either of our JK's and we run the Rubicon all the time. On our white one, we beat up our cross member enough that we finally replaced it with a Poison Spyder HD one. Once the one on our dozer JK gets too beat up, we'll do the same.

Well, in all fairness, it did do its job and more so than what you would of had from the factory which is nothing. Of course, we don't even run a cross member skid on either of our JK's and we run the Rubicon all the time. On our white one, we beat up our cross member enough that we finally replaced it with a Poison Spyder HD one. Once the one on our dozer JK gets too beat up, we'll do the same.

Your right... and I said I agreed with them, I just feel a skid should protect for more than one blow. I run this skid to protect the exhaust more than anything else. A second hit would result in exhaust damage. For now I wheel stock (TF level kit) but wheel about as hard as one can in the southern-Ohio area. Couple this with my Jeep being a 4-door and I use my skids more than I would like. In all fairness to your point; your "white one" has a height advantage when it comes to belly smacks. I know a lift and tires will help this on my end too, I just haven't gotten there on my build yet.

Please understand, I am not trash-talking EVO or your response. In-fact, your review of this skid system on JK-Forum weighed heavily in my choice for it. Only sharing my experience.

dis_dis

Banned

Maybe we run different trails but my stock ones were banged up pretty bad when I changed them. Also the stock ones don't cover nearly as much area as what I have now.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Your right... and I said I agreed with them, I just feel a skid should protect for more than one blow. I run this skid to protect the exhaust more than anything else. A second hit would result in exhaust damage. For now I wheel stock (TF level kit) but wheel about as hard as one can in the southern-Ohio area. Couple this with my Jeep being a 4-door and I use my skids more than I would like. In all fairness to your point; your "white one" has a height advantage when it comes to belly smacks. I know a lift and tires will help this on my end too, I just haven't gotten there on my build yet.

Please understand, I am not trash-talking EVO or your response. In-fact, your review of this skid system on JK-Forum weighed heavily in my choice for it. Only sharing my experience.

Oh, I know you're not trash talking EVO or my response. If anything, I'm trying to suggest that having a cross member skid isn't all that important to have. As far as protecting your exhaust goes, you do realize that it and your motor are attached to rubber mounts that allow it to move when hit, right? Sure, you can ding it up quite a bit but, for the most part, not enough to do serious damage or, that I have seen anyway.

One last point regarding my "white one", you do realize that it hasn't always had the height advantage that it does now, right? We played plenty with it stock, on a budget boost, on 3" of lift and so on if only because there was nothing more available at the time. Also, just because it does have a height advantage now doesn't mean that it doesn't play on terrain to match. Just trying to put things into perspective.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe we run different trails but my stock ones were banged up pretty bad when I changed them.

You're right, I'm just a mall crawler and I'm sure the trails you have out in the east coast are as badass as they come.

Also the stock ones don't cover nearly as much area as what I have now.

That's odd, the factory gas tank skid completely covers the gas tank and the factory transfer case skid plate completely covers the transfer case. The 2007-10 JK's with an automatic come with a skid plate that completely covers the sump pan as well. 2011-up with autos do only come with a "skid bar" which is pretty lacking especially if you have a 2012-up but, that's about the only things that could really be considered in need of more coverage. Of course, you have a manual and that doesn't need any protection at all. Sure, the JK doesn't come with an oil pan skid at all and should be protected but really, that's about it. But hey, that's just me.

GCM 2

Maybe we run different trails but my stock ones were banged up pretty bad when I changed them. Also the stock ones don't cover nearly as much area as what I have now.

Aside from my bashed exhaust crossover tube, there is nothing wrong with "user related wear" on factory skids ;) they are doing their job protecting vitals.

Attachments

• image-2259870943.jpg
    image-2259870943.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 225

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Aside from my bashed exhaust crossover tube, there is nothing wrong with "user related wear" on factory skids ;) they are doing their job protecting vitals.

I just love that underside shot of your Jeep! :clap2:

I should add that they are not only doing their job, they are doing it free of charge, without adding unnecessary sprung weight, without hiding leaks that you might want to see, without making maintenance a pain to do, without trapping unwanted heat and without getting in the way of making necessary repairs to things like drive shafts let alone, cause things like it to fail in the first place. :crazyeyes:

dis_dis

Banned
You're right, I'm just a mall crawler and I'm sure the trails you have out in the east coast are as badass as they come

Is this a d#&$%k measuring competition now? Or do you feel compelled to trash every post that doesn't recommend evo products?

All I did was share my experience with a product in an effort to help the op with his decision

Of course I haven't ran the Rubicon so maybe I should just shut up and mind my own business. I thought you were better than that Eddie

Oh, I know you're not trash talking EVO or my response. If anything, I'm trying to suggest that having a cross member skid isn't all that important to have. As far as protecting your exhaust goes, you do realize that it and your motor are attached to rubber mounts that allow it to move when hit, right? Sure, you can ding it up quite a bit but, for the most part, not enough to do serious damage or, that I have seen anyway.

One last point regarding my "white one", you do realize that it hasn't always had the height advantage that it does now, right? We played plenty with it stock, on a budget boost, on 3" of lift and so on if only because there was nothing more available at the time. Also, just because it does have a height advantage now doesn't mean that it doesn't play on terrain to match. Just trying to put things into perspective.

I know the exhaust and engine mounts are rubberized but don't really view them as "flexible". Honestly, my larger concern was for the driver's side loop. it is pretty solid and there isn't a lot of room for flex before tweaking at the flange happens. (I suspect, I have no real experience beyond looking at it on my back and dreaming :thinking:) Maybe it's the old drag-racer in me, but I hate the idea of denting and restricting flow in the exhaust. Probably unrealistic paranoia on my part ;)

Your right about my assumption on your Jeep(s). I am pretty new the empire(s) you have build here. It is easy for one to assume that you went straight to what you have now (or similar) and that your references are to the current build.

BTW... When I contacted EVO it was not to ask for a replacement or even the discount on the replacement they offered. I only wanted to share the damage because I think it could have been avoided with a small gusset or tapered flange on the portion of the plate that got bent welded to the front break that is already there. Like shown below. This is what I plan to do and why I didn't take them up on a discounted new one.

Skid+Front+Gusset.png

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Is this a d#&$%k measuring competition now? Or do you feel compelled to trash every post that doesn't recommend evo products?

:cheesy: Maybe I missed something but, I'm pretty sure I was recommending that the OP not spend his money on products that he doesn't need. Also, one of the products I recommended as an option to a transmission skid was an RK sump pan and a Rancho oil skid. But hey, you can choose to hear and believe what you want. ;)

All I did was share my experience with a product in an effort to help the op with his decision

And all I did was share my experience with factory skid plates, you know, the ones that come on your Jeep without any extra charge and, all in an effort to help the OP save some money.

Of course I haven't ran the Rubicon so maybe I should just shut up and mind my own business.

Is it that time of the month or something? Just a reminder, it was you who put out the "maybe we run different trails" to make your point, not me. :rolleyes2:

I thought you were better than that Eddie

Better than what? :thinking: :idontknow:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I know the exhaust and engine mounts are rubberized but don't really view them as "flexible". Honestly, my larger concern was for the driver's side loop. it is pretty solid and there isn't a lot of room for flex before tweaking at the flange happens. (I suspect, I have no real experience beyond looking at it on my back and dreaming :thinking:) Maybe it's the old drag-racer in me, but I hate the idea of denting and restricting flow in the exhaust. Probably unrealistic paranoia on my part ;)

Got it, damaging the loop is a legitimate concern but, being that it sits next to the frame rail, it seems pretty protected and I have yet to hit mine - yet. As far as restricting flow goes, I suppose that is a legitimate concern as well but, not something I worry about... maybe I should.

BTW... When I contacted EVO it was not to ask for a replacement or even the discount on the replacement they offered. I only wanted to share the damage because I think it could have been avoided with a small gusset or tapered flange on the portion of the plate that got bent welded to the front break that is already there. Like shown below. This is what I plan to do and why I didn't take them up on a discounted new one.

I realize that and hope you understand that I was just trying to suggest that having a skid there at all may not be really necessary. However, the concerns you stated are valid ones and if they concern you, having protection here would be good to have and, I think your solution to the problem may be helpful. Please post up pics after you do your fix as I think others here could benefit from it :yup:

TheStick

I have a '13 auto so the oil pan and transmission do come exposed from the factory. I went with the Rockhard skid and it works great. The only thing left exposed that worries me a bit is the exhaust loop, so might do something there.

Other than that I agree that the factory skids provide good protection for the rest of the Jeep. My gas tank skid is bent up pretty good but it is doing its job.

RUMMY

Damn just take the bent skid off and heat it and straiten it problem solved .If it gets bent again just duck tape some Teletubbies on there to soften the impact .

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom