Smittybilt XRC Flat Fenders? - Choosing Flat Fenders

tonytony9

The quality of finish depends on you. Here are a few close up shots of mine...

main.php

main.php

main.php

I know plenty of guys who have sanded theirs and they look outstanding even without the edge molding.

But hey, it's your Jeep, do what you want with it :)

Have to admit yours looks pretty damn good. Where did you purchase the edging from? Also, what size spacers do you have on your jeep (if you do)?

tonytony9

To me those thin Smittybilt fenders look almost identical to cut stockers. You can cut them how ever you'd like for the added personal touch. Recently I was on an outing and was glad I was running my cut stocks. I bumped a rock wall hard enough where it folded the corner of my front passenger side fender down into the hard "ribs" underneath. The sharp corner actually put a hole in the fender and the rock left some good scratches in it. I just bent it back up and went on about my business. I have a feeling had I gone with the BW flatties (plastic) I was looking at it prob would have broken.

Edit: I was typing this when Eddie posted his...haha.

I get what you are saying completely. It's not as much of a concern to me as this jeep is used heavily for daily street driving. Deff something to keep in mind for the future though.

JK's JK

Banned
Have to admit yours looks pretty damn good. Where did you purchase the edging from? Also, what size spacers do you have on your jeep (if you do)?

You can buy the black door trim from any auto parts place. Cant remember if you need 25 feet or 30 feet??

jesse3638

Hooked
Here is the fender after the mentioned bump of the rock. Another thing is I am cheap and as mentioned saving $300-$600 that could be spent elsewhere on your jeep is a decent amount.;)

Calico.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Like I said, it's all in how you cut them and that's what makes them so cool. Well, that and the fact that they're free :cool: You can get the door edge molding from Pepboys or the like. Regarding spacers, what kind of spacers are you referring to?

Tranquillity

Woah that's quite identical. Looks like smitty is buying old oem fender out of craig list, cut them and sell them back.

Cut yours 100% :beer::beer:

tonytony9

Like I said, it's all in how you cut them and that's what makes them so cool. Well, that and the fact that they're free :cool: You can get the door edge molding from Pepboys or the like. Regarding spacers, what kind of spacers are you referring to?

Wheel spacers! I was considering ordering the Spidertrack (think thats the correct spelling) 1.5inch for my wrangler. I have no lift and I have 255 tires 17 inch rims. Thought maybe it would improve look before I am able to buy a larger set of tires!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Wheel spacers! I was considering ordering the Spidertrack (think thats the correct spelling) 1.5inch for my wrangler. I have no lift and I have 255 tires 17 inch rims. Thought maybe it would improve look before I am able to buy a larger set of tires!

Ah, sorry about that. While I have run 1.5" Spidertrax in the past, the shots you see are just of my then, Toyo MT 37x13.50's. Of course, here's a shot back when we were running 40x15.50's on wide ProRock 60's and ATX Slabs that have 3.5" of back spacing...

main.php

And, here's a shot of us now running 40x13.50's on the same axles and wheels...

main.php

Needless to say, we're just really wide :D

JK's JK

Banned
Ah, sorry about that. While I have run 1.5" Spidertrax in the past, the shots you see are just of my then, Toyo MT 37x13.50's. Of course, here's a shot back when we were running 40x15.50's on wide ProRock 60's and ATX Slabs that have 3.5" of back spacing...

main.php

main.php

Show off. :bleh::rock:

nem

A few people locally here are running those smittybuilt fenders and they bend easy. They also only sell them in pairs so if you ruin one your buying two. Just cut and use the edge trim.

tonytony9

main.php

main.php

Ah, well great pictures! This is a question for anyone;I have sorta had this answered partly. Will running the spidertrax 1.5 wheel spacers how much additionally wear am I looking at? And on specifically which parts?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

tonytony9

A few people locally here are running those smittybuilt fenders and they bend easy. They also only sell them in pairs so if you ruin one your buying two. Just cut and use the edge trim.

Most likely gonna end up trying to cut mine! You guys convinced me👏!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ah, well great pictures! This is a question for anyone;I have sorta had this answered partly. Will running the spidertrax 1.5 wheel spacers how much additionally wear am I looking at? And on specifically which parts?

Any wheel with less back spacing than what comes from the factory (6.25") will put additional wear on your unit bearing and ball joints. Being that wheel spacers will effectively reduce your back spacing to 4.75", it will cause the same kind of wear. Having said that, it's really not that big of a deal and replacing unit bearings is actually pretty easy and they are mainly what will wear out.

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
TonyTonyTony … seriously I would not waste money buying any aftermarket fenders. Just follow the write-up and cut them. Add the trim for a finished look.
The beauty in the cut-factory fenders is you can rip them off on a rock or tree and they clip right back on! :yup::thumb: Many after market fenders are ridged and have the potential to cause body damage instead of giving like the cut-factory ones.

Use the money for something else on your rig. :brows: :twocents:

Last edited:

tonytony9

Any wheel with less back spacing than what comes from the factory (6.25") will put additional wear on your unit bearing and ball joints. Being that wheel spacers will effectively reduce your back spacing to 4.75", it will cause the same kind of wear. Having said that, it's really not that big of a deal and replacing unit bearings is actually pretty easy and they are mainly what will wear out.

Thank you! Going to buy my self two sets of the spidertrax 1.5 spacers now!

tonytony9

TonyTonyTony … seriously I would not waste money buying any aftermarket fenders. Just follow the write-up and cut them. Add the trim for a finished look.
The beauty in the cut-factory fenders is you can rip them off on a rock or tree and they clip right back on! :yup::thumb: Many after market fenders are ridged and have the potential to cause body damage instead of giving like the cut-factory ones.

Use the money for something else on your rig. :brows: :twocents:

Agreed. I am going to try and do the cut as suggested by the forum.

Top Bottom