Smittybilt XRC Flat Fenders? - Choosing Flat Fenders

jesse3638

Hooked
I see you cut your front bumper as well. I was considering doing that. Got additional pictures?

What pics are you looking for? I can see what I have if not I can take some for you pretty easily. Just let me know. Cutting my bumper was an impulse because I was bored at work...haha.

tonytony9

What pics are you looking for? I can see what I have if not I can take some for you pretty easily. Just let me know. Cutting my bumper was an impulse because I was bored at work...haha.

I am looking for pictures of the sides - where you made the cuts. Did you happen to figure out a way to finish it nicely; maybe a cap of some sort? And I was actually considering doing it haha.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Tyler19

I see you cut your front bumper as well. I was considering doing that. Got additional pictures?

I was honestly so nervous to cut my bumper, but after following the article that was just posted by Wayalife, I'm super happy with the outcome. The hardest part of it was working up the courage to make the first cut.

tonytony9

I was honestly so nervous to cut my bumper, but after following the article that was just posted by Wayalife, I'm super happy with the outcome. The hardest part of it was working up the courage to make the first cut.

Agreed - Great write up

jesse3638

Hooked

I did pretty much the same thing I just lined up the tape so it was just past the stock mounting bolts. This way I didn't have drill and bolt anything. Its a tad wider but not by much. I too just ground down the metal and took a file to the plastic to smooth it out. Applied a little touch up paint and called it good. Several others have gotten creative with end caps and such and I believe there is a company that makes aftermarket bumper ends for stock cut bumpers. I liked the look of the cut bumper so I left it as is. That's the great thing about a jeep. Its like a blank canvas for you to do as you please. If you like it run it, who cares what others think as long as you like it. Although I do tend to listen if someone sees I'm going to make a costly mistake. As I mentioned before I'm cheap and don't want to have to pay to redo something I messed up...haha.

Sent from my EVO using WAYALIFE mobile app

tonytony9

I did pretty much the same thing I just lined up the tape so it was just past the stock mounting bolts. This way I didn't have drill and bolt anything. Its a tad wider but not by much. I too just ground down the metal and took a file to the plastic to smooth it out. Applied a little touch up paint and called it good. Several others have gotten creative with end caps and such and I believe there is a company that makes aftermarket bumper ends for stock cut bumpers. I liked the look of the cut bumper so I left it as is. That's the great thing about a jeep. Its like a blank canvas for you to do as you please. If you like it run it, who cares what others think as long as you like it. Although I do tend to listen if someone sees I'm going to make a costly mistake. As I mentioned before I'm cheap and don't want to have to pay to redo something I messed up...haha.

I am going to do a cut and see what I think of it. If I do not like it, I could always try buying some end caps. I believe these are what we are referring to http://www.ebay.com/itm/VDP-STUBBY-BUMPER-END-CAP-KIT-07-14-JEEP-JK-WRANGLER-/231146808621 .
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-2014-J...Front-Bumper-Stubby-End-Cap-Kit-/290974653317

budmanm3

I plan to add an LED in the side of the grill for mine.

I have some I purchased with the intent of adding the LED side marker light after cutting my fenders. Instead I found a good deal on some Bushwackers, so I scrapped the cut fender idea, but I still have some LED's if anyone is looking for some.

Same ones listed here. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Maxxima-3-4...Accessories&hash=item20bf4c7a5e#ht_1829wt_931

PM if interested. I can post a picture of them installed on my buddies Jeep I can get if anyone wants also.

jesse3638

Hooked
Here is what I used for marker lights. Its an amber LED strip I found at pep boys also.

1395157990147.jpg

1395158007430.jpg

1395158018186.jpg

jesse3638

Hooked
Can I not use the current factory ones? Or are they hard to remount after cutting the fender?

You can but with the minimalist look of the cut fenders the stock light may look out of place. I couldn't figure out a way to mount it in which I liked. I did however cut the plug off of it when I wired in the LED strips so I could simply plug them in. Just remember LED's have to be wired correctly otherwise they will not function properly. I had this issue at first. I simply switched the wires and then they functioned as intended...:D

tonytony9

You can but with the minimalist look of the cut fenders the stock light may look out of place. I couldn't figure out a way to mount it in which I liked. I did however cut the plug off of it when I wired in the LED strips so I could simply plug them in. Just remember LED's have to be wired correctly otherwise they will not function properly. I had this issue at first. I simply switched the wires and then they functioned as intended...:D

So overall pretty simply install then? Just Involves some soldiering I am guessing?

jesse3638

Hooked
So overall pretty simply install then? Just Involves some soldiering I am guessing?

Yeah I chose to solder and shrink wrap but I'm sure crimp style butt connectors would work as well. I just wired them up and tested them before soldering and that where I discovered my error. The LED strip itself has an adhesive backing so I just cleaned the underside of the fender really well with rubbing alcohol to ensure it sticks well.

tonytony9

Yeah I chose to solder and shrink wrap but I'm sure crimp style butt connectors would work as well. I just wired them up and tested them before soldering and that where I discovered my error. The LED strip itself has an adhesive backing so I just cleaned the underside of the fender really well with rubbing alcohol to ensure it sticks well.

Ahh perfect. Do you have the site where you bought them from or pricing?

JK-PoundinPDX

Had those smitybilt on until a few weeks ago when a cop here decided to drink his hater-aid and pull me over. I was on 37s 5in bs. Wheels. Then I switched my flare option to the MCE flares. I like them both however I liked the smitybilt a better due to the way they were cut and how they don't provide any tire coverage lol.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1395186481.127228.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1395186533.389572.jpg

jesse3638

Hooked
Ahh perfect. Do you have the site where you bought them from or pricing?

I bought them off the shelf at Pep Boys. I'm sure most big box automotive stores would probably have something similar. I believe they were $10-$15 for a pair. They are 4" amber/orange LED strips. I'm sure if you google that or look on amazon you could find something similar. Or try looking on one of the import tuner zoomie car parts web sites. Thats where I found them at Pep Boys with all the aftermarket light stuff.

Top Bottom