So I wanna ditch my spare...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie i love your forum ,i did not mean to disrespect anyone . I do not drink and drive never have.

Like I said, not here to judge and nobody I know has been dissrespected. I'm glad to hear you don't drink and drive on the trail or dunes. I know it's lame but in the future, you might want to be more careful about the photos you post on the internet. The tree huggers out there are always looking for a reason to give us.

chitown35

LOSER
I recently took mine off and didn't feel like putting it back on by myself at the time so I threw it in the back (hate that look also btw). But I later went wheeling and it seems like front traction (due to weight distribution?) was just a little bit better on some of the same climbs I've done in the past.

Sent from my galaxy s5 but it would've been quicker to drive my jeep there and tell you.

jkwebbie

I recently took mine off and didn't feel like putting it back on by myself at the time so I threw it in the back (hate that look also btw). But I later went wheeling and it seems like front traction (due to weight distribution?) was just a little bit better on some of the same climbs I've done in the past.

Sent from my galaxy s5 but it would've been quicker to drive my jeep there and tell you.
Mines the same way. I can definitely feel a difference when making steep climbs. It might be more noticeable since I'm in a 2 door

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Recurve

If there's one thing I've noticed, most of the folks who don't like the "look" of a spare on the back of their Jeep are guys who live back east. And, I suppose that makes sense being that the only places they can wheel are off road parks. Out in the west, the thought of not having a spare or carrying one inside and robbing you of valuable cargo space just because it "looks" cool is just crazy or at least, to most of the people I know. Hell, even with the spare outside, it can still be a real struggle to find enough room for all our gear.

I run a spare in my cargo area, it's 37 tire an ATX slab wheel. Pretty heavy, it's a temp solution till I get the evo carrier I want.
That said , lots of guys here on the east coast don't run spares, I see them around town a lot. For me I HAVE to run a spare. IMG_0070.jpg IMG_0093.jpg

I fortunate enough to live in the mountains, so lots of dirt roads/trails in my area. As you can see in the pics I've have had flats on 2 separate occasions . One was at the top of the mountain on a 15 degree day . I would have had to walk if I didn't have a spare. The second I was actually taking a dirt road home and I got another flat. This was within a month.

Also I've helped out dad an his son in a jk that had a flat, they didn't have a proper lift to pick up the jeep.

So my personal experience is you should ALWAYS run a spare, flats are all too common.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

R

RockyMtnAnvil

Love the no tire look ,i keep my spare in the rear. Lost my storage space View attachment 232252 View attachment 232253

Sent from my SM-J700T using WAYALIFE mobile app

I like what you've done there. I can't quite tell from the photos, but it looks like the storage rack is supported with braces bolted to the edges of the tub? If so, how did you go about adding the duster? Edit: Ignore that stupid question... I don't what I was thinking, looks simple enough.

Mines the same way. I can definitely feel a difference when making steep climbs. It might be more noticeable since I'm in a 2 door

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I moved my spare inside the tub last year (won't go without one). No one seems to believe me, but it noticeably improved the bite of my front tires (also in a 2 door). To be fair, I also dumped the 190 lbs rear bumper/tire carrier combo for a 40 lbs version.

Last edited by a moderator:

xman4602

I'm sure it's just me but having a spare on the back of a Wrangler IS a big part of what makes it a Wrangler. Without the spare, a Wrangler just looks like another SUV. But hey, that's just me.

As mentioned, if you're going to remove it from the back, do yourself a favor and carry it inside. Just my 2¢

This!

“Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.”

Top Bottom