SPOTTED: Any 4X4 other than a Jeep JK/JL Wrangler

GCM 2

now thats a set of bead locks! :rock:

Those are not beadlocks. The wheels are just a two piece rim, all military tactical vehicles have come with a two piece rim since the HMMWV in the early 80's. The reasoning is that a vehicle crew can then do service or field repairs to a tire without needing a tire machine to remove (or install) a tire onto a wheel. I have done quite a few of the 16.5" HMMWV wheels with only the basic issued tools. Its doable, but its not quick and very tiresome without impact wrenches to remove and then tighten the rim bolts. In the Army its known as -10 (dash ten) or 10 level maintenance, basically meaning "operator" level. On this MATV's tire, it would probably just get changed back in the rear on a Forward Operating Base where they have real tools to work on stuff that big, the tire alone weighs around 400lbs.

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Those are not beadlocks. The wheels are just a two piece rim, all military tactical vehicles have come with a two piece rim since the HMMWV in the early 80's. The reasoning is that a vehicle crew can then do service or field repairs to a tire without needing a tire machine to remove (or install) a tire onto a wheel. I have done quite a few of the 16.5" HMMWV wheels with only the basic issued tools. Its doable, but its not quick and very tiresome without impact wrenches to remove and then tighten the rim bolts. In the Army its known as -10 (dash ten) or 10 level maintenance, basically meaning "operator" level.

lol oh i know they are not beadlocks i was just trying to be funny since those things look bullet proof.

thank you for explaining exactly what they are for me tho Greg! they are pretty sweet

GCM 2

lol oh i know they are not beadlocks i was just trying to be funny since those things look bullet proof.

thank you for explaining exactly what they are for me tho Greg! they are pretty sweet

No problems brother! I have never broken apart one of the MATV wheels, but have changed those tires for its spare on a few occasions when they were destroyed from a blast. Even just changing one out for the spare is a serious ass kicking event, it's usually a three or four man job at a minimum. :icon_crazy:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
No problems brother! I have never broken apart one of the MATV wheels, but have changed those tires for its spare on a few occasions when they were destroyed from a blast. Even just changing one out for the spare is a serious ass kicking event, it's usually a three or four man job at a minimum. :icon_crazy:

yea with how big those things are im sure the whole even is killer! probably lots of practice to get it down to a science to do it right and fast before you get hurt by the enemy surrounding you.

Spotted: Any 4x4 other than a JK

Ultimate mall crawler a 4x4 mini van with brush guard. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1370301664.676262.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1370301679.440497.jpg

Sent from a fruit product using WAYALIFE mobile app

SquareLJ

Those are not beadlocks. The wheels are just a two piece rim, all military tactical vehicles have come with a two piece rim since the HMMWV in the early 80's. The reasoning is that a vehicle crew can then do service or field repairs to a tire without needing a tire machine to remove (or install) a tire onto a wheel. I have done quite a few of the 16.5" HMMWV wheels with only the basic issued tools. Its doable, but its not quick and very tiresome without impact wrenches to remove and then tighten the rim bolts. In the Army its known as -10 (dash ten) or 10 level maintenance, basically meaning "operator" level. On this MATV's tire, it would probably just get changed back in the rear on a Forward Operating Base where they have real tools to work on stuff that big, the tire alone weighs around 400lbs.

We had one MATV tire take a round through the sidewall. CTIS kept it manageable until we got to a small ANP outpost to change it out (PSD with highers, no time to stop and play. That, and we never could figure out where it came from). Talk about a workout. The spare broke the first hand crane, so we had to take a crane off one of the others.

ssh6314

Re: Spotted: Any 4x4 other than a JK

I was in it when we ran over our little surprise. Held up, no one was hurt at all.
Sent from my EVO-3d using WAYALIFE app.

Attachments

• 1370326805560.jpg
    1370326805560.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 370
  • 1370326817648.jpg
    1370326817648.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 368
I was in it when we ran over our little surprise. Held up, no one was hurt at all.
Sent from my EVO-3d using WAYALIFE app.

hey ive been in your shoes with the "little surprises" in the road. those vehicles are so.... i dont even have words to describe how i feel about those vehicles. glad to hear everyone was ok!!! stay safe brother
:usa:

Top Bottom