Steering assist: Redneck ram vs PSC

Rottenbelly

Ah, got it. Not like anyone could ever benefit from hearing about products that you've had problems with. :naw:

I posted a bad experiences on here with the JKS trackbar.
Should I just not post then if it bugs you that bad?
Just putting in my 2 cents worth.
Guess someone has to have a different opinions. Keeps things interesting.
Hell, I had problems with my jeep. Does that mean I shouldnt run a jeep then?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I posted a bad experiences on here with the JKS trackbar.

:cheesy: Was that you that recently posted that up? My bad for not even noticing. :crazyeyes:

Should I just not post then if it bugs you that bad?
Just putting in my 2 cents worth.
Guess someone has to have a different opinions. Keeps things interesting.

Nah, it's all good. You just go on being a fanboy for under rated stuff. Like you said, it keeps things interesting.

Hell, I had problems with my jeep. Does that mean I shouldnt run a jeep then?

That's news to me but then, apparently, so was the JKS track bar break :blush:

Benito

Caught the Bug
I eyed the Redneck Ram on a few jeeps out here in west texas, a lot of people around here run it because West Texas Off-road/Redneck Ram is located out here. i have not seen one fail, but i will say, in my opinion, that their kit is "under built". all they send you is the hoses, a ram, i think the mounting hardware, and your ported steering box. The way i think about it, you pay more for the PSC kit because they send you a new high flow pump, aluminum reservoir, rebuilt box and everything else that the redneck ram comes with. i don't understand why the redneck ram doesn't come with a new high flow pump, but i would think you would need one, you are adding a HYDRAULIC Cylinder to the steering system, i would figure that PSC has done test that has shown them that a new pump is needed to increase the pressure in the system, and that is why they sell them or maybe they sell them just to sell them, i don't know, but it gives you a little more peace of mind knowing that your stock pump will not fail because it is being overworked. the reservoir may seem unnecessary until you realize how hot these systems run, and a bigger Aluminum reservoir will help keep the temps a little lower by holding more fluid and dissipating heat better than the stock reservoir which will allow all the components in the system to last longer, again a little more peace of mind. another thing is i don't believe the steering box's from PSC are just ported, they are rebuilt and have what appears to be a new milled input shaft housing part that has the new ports for the ram, rather than just the stock box with some holes drilled and tapped. in this case i feel like you get what you pay for. JFYI i ordered my PSC kit from Trail Jeeps for about $1500, the best part was they sent me a steering box and all the other parts and once i installed the kit i sent them my old box back so that they could ship it to PSC to be rebuilt, i had no down time on having to ship my box, waiting for it to be rebuilt/ported and being shipped back.

Rottenbelly

Lots of good points in there.
My system actually ran cooler after the redneck ram install.
I was boiling over the fluid on the rocks everytime I went crawling before the ram.
Afterwards it stayed alot cooler. I did run a single pass 10 inch can cooler on the low pressure side.
The stock pump is ok for the 1.5 inch ram. But it would benefit from a upgrade.
Still had the slow speed, pulling into a parking spot dead zone that is common with hydro systems.
If I had the funds I probably would do a PSC system as it's more complete.
On a budget the redneck ram does the job.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Just putting this out there. The high flow pump does nothing for power. The size of the ram piston is what determines power. The bigger the cylinder the more force generated with equal psi. Now where the high flow comes in is how fast you can generate/ fill the cylinder that you are using. I have no horse in this race as I haven't used either (yet). I do though have a descent knowledge of hydraulic systems and troubleshooting and for that I will probably be doing a redneck ram/ hybrid myself.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

72dozer

Iam running redneck ram only about 6 months out but no problems yet and customer service was great for me . I do have the slow speed when turning in parking. will be upgrading to a high flow pump when I get time

dchew

Still had the slow speed, pulling into a parking spot dead zone that is common with hydro systems.

I've had a PSC ram on my 2013 and have no idea what you mean. I have no dead zone at any speed (37s).

As Eddie noted, I had issues installing because it was December of 2012 and their kit was still designed for the old reservoir location. I crammed it in there by installing a CAI, which I wish I didn't have to do.

I don't have a cooler but I'm not in a climate that stresses it much.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
A guy I no longer talk to went with the redneck ram and had nothing but issues with their customer service and had tons of downtime while waiting for them to port his box. Also they made his ram to short so he had a tough time turning. Had to have more downtime and money spent for a longer ram. Stupid issues like this is why I'm doing the PSC kit when I'm ready.

g00se04

I bought the PSC kit that comes with their own designed gearbox and it was pretty much bolt on and go. The only thing that I have done is get real hydraulic hoses made and kept the hoses with the kit as spares.

zimm

Caught the Bug
I bought the PSC kit that comes with their own designed gearbox and it was pretty much bolt on and go. The only thing that I have done is get real hydraulic hoses made and kept the hoses with the kit as spares.

Nice. Did you make up the lines as needed then had them replicated at a hyd line shop? I'd prefer real crimped lines too.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've had a PSC ram on my 2013 and have no idea what you mean. I have no dead zone at any speed (37s).

As Eddie noted, I had issues installing because it was December of 2012 and their kit was still designed for the old reservoir location. I crammed it in there by installing a CAI, which I wish I didn't have to do.

I don't have a cooler but I'm not in a climate that stresses it much.

Dave

Yup, and I run 40's on Moby and ran 15.50 wide tires for a long time. I should also note that I don't run a cooler on either Moby or Rubicat.

A guy I no longer talk to went with the redneck ram and had nothing but issues with their customer service and had tons of downtime while waiting for them to port his box. Also they made his ram to short so he had a tough time turning. Had to have more downtime and money spent for a longer ram. Stupid issues like this is why I'm doing the PSC kit when I'm ready.

LOL!! Was that Andrew or Jay? A few years back, a guy drive out from Canada to join us on the Rubicon and we couldn't even get started because his Redneck system took a shit. Had to delay our trip so that we could return him back to stock just so that he could do the run with us.

Nice. Did you make up the lines as needed then had them replicated at a hyd line shop? I'd prefer real crimped lines too.

I had new lines made at my local hydraulic shop. I too prefer real crimped lines.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy

I had new lines made at my local hydraulic shop. I too prefer real crimped lines.

Good info to know. I'll have to get that done as well once I get mine. [emoji1303]

JeepJeep75

I've been seriously considering a PSC system for my rig. Can you guys show any pictures of the PSC hoses compared to "real hydro hoses" made at a hydro shop. I've worked on a few industrial machinery hydro setups, so I understand what a "real" hose and fitting should be, just not sure what PSC is supplying as a "real" hose.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've been seriously considering a PSC system for my rig. Can you guys show any pictures of the PSC hoses compared to "real hydro hoses" made at a hydro shop. I've worked on a few industrial machinery hydro setups, so I understand what a "real" hose and fitting should be, just not sure what PSC is supplying as a "real" hose.

They use hoses with connectors that thread on. In some ways, this is cool being that you can do field repairs - that is of course, only if you have a cut off wheel or are really good about making a clean cut through steel braided hose with a hacksaw. :crazyeyes:

p-541-01.jpg

JeepJeep75

They use hoses with connectors that thread on. In some ways, this is cool being that you can do field repairs - that is of course, only if you have a cut off wheel or are really good about making a clean cut through steel braided hose with a hacksaw. :crazyeyes:

View attachment 235234

Got it! Totally makes sense now. I skipped right over that detail looking at the ads for the PSC setup.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hahaha!!! Good call. It was Jay. If I remember correctly he ended up using some PSC parts in conjunction with it because of his issues

LOL!! Figures.

Got it! Totally makes sense now. I skipped right over that detail looking at the ads for the PSC setup.

Like I said, it's a nice setup to have especially to do field repairs and I typically carry what I got just for that purpose. I just prefer running hoses with a higher psi and with crimp on ends.

OJK12

I know a buddy of mine built his own hydro assist and although it worked well for a few months, as of the last year he had so many problems with it and couldn't get them sorted out that he went back to a traditional setup. It's not as easy to turn off road but at least it works.

JeepJeep75

I know a buddy of mine built his own hydro assist and although it worked well for a few months, as of the last year he had so many problems with it and couldn't get them sorted out that he went back to a traditional setup. It's not as easy to turn off road but at least it works.

Hey bro, not trying to be a dick or anything, but your statement is of no use to this thread at all. You have a buddy with some brand of a hydro system that he couldn't fix. Great.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Hey bro, not trying to be a dick or anything, but your statement is of no use to this thread at all. You have a buddy with some brand of a hydro system that he couldn't fix. Great.

Hey bro, not to be a dick, but he did say it was a DIY set up. If you don't know, that means it doesn't have a brand :thumb:

Top Bottom