Steering gremlin

fiend

Caught the Bug
I don't think it would work because of the tolerances.
It's meant to fit over top of the existing bracket, so it's quite a bit large for the track bar bushings.

Right. He can weld the old one back on and reinforce with this. Just a suggestion.

J

JKDream

Right. He can weld the old one back on and reinforce with this. Just a suggestion.

For sure, I'm not knocking the idea, just based on what he said it sounds like the stock bracket is basically sheared off.
I personally wouldn't re-weld the oem bracket after it broke to any extent, it's just better to weld in something beefier.

aTX427

All I was able to find was an outside frame mount from Artec. I may go that route and brace it inside and out similar to the factory mount.

Last edited:

Slimebones

Sounds more like gear box or pitman arm. However, check both brackets on the track bar. If those are fucked up, it could cause a similar symptom. Are you running an adjustable track bar?

Good call WJCO. Am learning from other's experiences. Glad your problem was found John.

aTX427

You sure? I watched it flex quite a bit on that rock at Bill Moore lake. You might take a long level and see how straight it is beyond eyeing it.

The beauty of aluminum. Had that been DOM, it would have folded, but the solid aluminum flexes and goes back to its original shape.

aTX427

Thank you to everyone who helped me troubleshoot this problem. Your assistance is much appreciated.

aTX427

Well, now I know why no one sells a replacement front frame track bar mount. It takes a lot of custom work to make it fit. I cut everything off the frame and after about ten rounds of nip / cut was able to make a generic bracket fit. My vertical up welds are not the best. Tomorrow I'm going to reinforce the bracket, but may have a professional grind the welds and redo them. There were some really difficult places to reach. One on my back with my face wedged between the ground and the axle with splatter falling down on my face. Others were completely blind welds that came out like shit. I was able to tie the braket into the coil bucket for strength, but I am not at all pleased with the end result. After 5 hours of sweating like a mad man in 101* heat, I called it a day and will finish up tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_0773.jpg
    IMG_0773.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0774.jpg
    IMG_0774.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Glad you got it back together. I feel your pain with the tight welding spots, really makes it difficult.

aTX427

I went to put my track bar in and had an issue getting it back in place. After numerous tries, I triple checked my dimensions and the track bar mounting hole is 1/2" higher than stock. I wouldn't think it would be that big of a deal, but the front drivers side upper control arm hits the frame when I try strapping the frame into alignment, so I either need to cut it out and redo the bracket or go to an adjustable track bar.

Last edited:

Benito

Caught the Bug
I went to put my track bar in and had an issue getting it back in place. After numerous tries, I triple checked my dimensions and the track bar mounting hole is 1/2" higher than stock. I wouldn't think it would be that big of a deal, but the front drivers side upper control arm hits the frame when I try strapping the frame into alignment, so I either need to cut it out and redo the bracket or go to an adjustable track bar.

If you have the jeep on the ground, not on a jack or jack stands, have someone push the body of the jeep in the direction needed while you align the track bar and bracket and get the bolt in. I've always found this easier than trying to do it while the jeep is lifted and the axle is drooped with ratchet straps.

aTX427

I cut that mess off and re-prepared the frame for take two. I cannot find anyone who makes a replacement bracket specific to the JK. If anyone has seen one, please let me know.

aTX427

I saw that Ruff-Stuff part and the Barnes4x4, but they both have an angled mount if you look closely and sit outside the frame rail. The JK bolt hole center is about in line with the outside of the frame and about 3" down from the bottom of the frame.

Last edited:
Top Bottom