still thinkin too hard

TheDuff

With a teraflex 2.5 coil lift on my auto 09 jkur with only 33's I'm looking at having to buy a front drive shaft. Tore the center boot off on the first wheeling trip the day after I put the lift on, from contact with the trans skid. I don't see how this kit would provide any more down travel than any other 2.5" of higher lift, so I would also assume this to happen with any other kit of the same lift or greater. I can make the drive shaft hit the skid by just putting the jeep on jack stands with the sway bar unhooked. I had to drop the skid just to get the front driver side of the axle to drop down enough to allow me to install that spring. IMO if your gonna go beyond a 2" BB you should be budgeting to replace your front drive shaft on a automatic, better safe than sorry! Wish I had known ahead of time that it was even a possibility, but I didn't research enough at the time:(

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So everytime you don't have a logical answer you say what do I know? I can tell you I've owned a couple jeeps and installed and owned a few different lifts over the last 8 year's myself and what I'm say is coming from experience with the lift that the op was talking about unlike the "advice" you are throwing out. But hey what do I know...

Being that I don't know you from Adam, I have no idea what you really know. As far as my advice goes, you, the OP or anyone else can take it or leave it - unlike you, I really couldn't care less. :)

View attachment 15692

Just to show you I do flex it out. This is the only one I have on my phone to upload.

No offense but, that doesn't look like a whole lot of flex to me. Still, how about you show us what the front drive shaft looks like when you were doing this. Or, have you ever even bothered to look?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
My brother has been through 2 stock front driveshafts on his 2010 2 door Rubi with a four inch lift and 35's. I told him it would happen; he didn't believe me...a few hundred bucks later and now he does (the dealership warranted the first one).

With a teraflex 2.5 coil lift on my auto 09 jkur with only 33's I'm looking at having to buy a front drive shaft. Tore the center boot off on the first wheeling trip the day after I put the lift on, from contact with the trans skid. I don't see how this kit would provide any more down travel than any other 2.5" of higher lift, so I would also assume this to happen with any other kit of the same lift or greater. I can make the drive shaft hit the skid by just putting the jeep on jack stands with the sway bar unhooked. I had to drop the skid just to get the front driver side of the axle to drop down enough to allow me to install that spring. IMO if your gonna go beyond a 2" BB you should be budgeting to replace your front drive shaft on a automatic, better safe than sorry! Wish I had known ahead of time that it was even a possibility, but I didn't research enough at the time:(

Imagine that?

Thanks guys, I though maybe I had walked into the Twilight Zone where people had magical front drive shafts :crazyeyes:

MTG

Caught the Bug
So everytime you don't have a logical answer you say what do I know? I can tell you I've owned a couple jeeps and installed and owned a few different lifts over the last 8 year's myself and what I'm say is coming from experience with the lift that the op was talking about unlike the "advice" you are throwing out. But hey what do I know...

What happened to the "yawn" emoticon? I guess these will have to do...:blahblah: :bored01:

dhughes

Banned
Being that I don't know you from Adam, I have no idea what you really know. As far as my advice goes, you, the OP or anyone else can take it or leave it - unlike you, I really couldn't care less. :)

For a guy who could care less you still like to add you 2 cents in don't you? :)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
For a guy who could care less you still like to add you 2 cents in don't you? :)

Ummm, last I checked, this is a forum - you know, a place where people give their 2¢ :idontknow: :crazyeyes:

But, I suppose you're the kind of guy that thinks the only 2¢ that should really matter is yours :yup:

dhughes

Banned
Ummm, last I checked, this is a forum - you know, a place where people give their 2¢ :idontknow: :crazyeyes:

But, I suppose you're the kind of guy that thinks the only 2¢ that should really matter is yours :yup:

Nope I'm not that kind of guy at all. Just as you said you don't know me from Adam. I'm the type of guy that likes to speak about things I know about and this just so happens to be one. If he would asked about a evo lift I would have never made a comment because I've never run one. Now you know me a little better.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
The funny thing is my brother didn't even realize he had torn his boot the first time. I was under his Jeep inspecting it because he doesn't know much about Jeeps. I saw the boot was torn up pretty good and the metal band was way down by his front ujoint. I pointed it all out to him and he said he had been hearing a strange clicking noise for a while (the band bouncing around on the shaft.) I figure he was driving that way for nearly a year.

MTG

Caught the Bug
So join in on the fun. Let's hear about how your magical factory front drive shaft never comes close to hitting anything at a full flex :yup:

Oh, right. You mean the magical factory one I replaced because it would hit my exhaust crossover with my 4" lift in my 4 door while not even at full flex? Yeah, truth be told I only replaced it with the JE Reel shaft in order to preserve its magical properties, for one day, as the prophecies have foretold, it will be used to ward off all that is evil in the world....:crazyeyes:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Nope I'm not that kind of guy at all. Just as you said you don't know me from Adam. I'm the type of guy that likes to speak about things I know about and this just so happens to be one. If he would asked about a evo lift I would have never made a comment because I've never run one. Now you know me a little better.

Nah, I had already figured you were the kind of guy that likes to talk a lot about whatever he's chosen to buy. And really, that's great. Me, I don't know anything :)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The funny thing is my brother didn't even realize he had torn his boot the first time. I was under his Jeep inspecting it because he doesn't know much about Jeeps. I saw the boot was torn up pretty good and the metal band was way down by his front ujoint. I pointed it all out to him and he said he had been hearing a strange clicking noise for a while (the band bouncing around on the shaft.) I figure he was driving that way for nearly a year.

LOL!! We almost always get at least one new guy on the trail who'll say somewhere along the way "I hear a strange clicking sound..." :crazyeyes:

Oh, right. You mean the magical factory one I replaced because it would hit my exhaust crossover with my 4" lift in my 4 door while not even at full flex? Yeah, truth be told I only replaced it with the JE Reel shaft in order to preserve its magical properties, for one day, as the prophecies have foretold, it will be used to ward off all that is evil in the world....:crazyeyes:

:cheesy: You're killing me

Dixon4x4

No offense but, that doesn't look like a whole lot of flex to me. Still, how about you show us what the front drive shaft looks like when you were doing this. Or, have you ever even bothered to look?

Yes I have bothered to look!! I completely go through my entire rig after each trip in the mountains, change my oil every 3,000 miles, change my Diff. fluid every 6,000 miles, So yes I know what the Drive shaft looks like and if it hits or not. While you may have been building and installing lifts on vehicles for 6 years, I have been doing the same for 20 years. I am not trying to say that anyone is wrong or right, as if you have the experience you would know that there are not 2 vehicle alike. What works on one may not work on another. But I think the First question that all of should of asked what front end does he have, as there are different option. High pinion or Standard Pinion, where as mine has the high pinion might be as too why it does not rub on the skid plate.

Attachments

• 552538_4046363235592_147764225_n.jpg
    552538_4046363235592_147764225_n.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 88

TheDuff

I'm hoping mine last a few more months, but a year would be awesome!

mkjeep

Junkyard Dog
When I was running a 4in Superlift with 35's the stock front shaft lasted almost a year, a few months of that was on a 2in BBoost. I gave it my best effort by dropping the skid, notching it, replacing the slip spline boot metal bands with zipties. Never hit the tranny pan but still hit the skid . It started racheting bad on my way home from a trip to Hot Springs Arkansas.I guess the rezeppa spit the last of its grease. The trails around here in La. don't have the constant shifting dropping and twisting the same way as in rocks. Even if the trail is all contorted, dirtand mud provide for smoother and quicker transitions. I really don't know if all that even matters, but after being in Moab and then trying to compare it to trails within reasonable driving distace around here, rocks will twist your jeep all over the place different than dirt and mud and a day in rocks is like a month of dirt trails.
I don't know what type of wheelin the OP is planning, but if he's hittin the rocks regularly, just get an aftermarket front shaft when the front craps out.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Yes I have bothered to look!! I completely go through my entire rig after each trip in the mountains, change my oil every 3,000 miles, change my Diff. fluid every 6,000 miles, So yes I know what the Drive shaft looks like and if it hits or not. While you may have been building and installing lifts on vehicles for 6 years, I have been doing the same for 20 years. I am not trying to say that anyone is wrong or right, as if you have the experience you would know that there are not 2 vehicle alike. What works on one may not work on another. But I think the First question that all of should of asked what front end does he have, as there are different option. High pinion or Standard Pinion, where as mine has the high pinion might be as too why it does not rub on the skid plate.

Lol, you do realize every Jk has a high pinion Dana 30 or 44.👍

Your jeep is not special

Top Bottom