still thinkin too hard

TheDuff

To the op: honestly before you drop coin on a lift that you will no doubt want to replace in 6 months with coil overs ( everyone does!). For that size tire a BB will be perfect with out all the headaches and need for track bars, adjustable control arms, and costly drive shaft (all of which are nice to have, but completely not needed for 2" lift). You can actually clear 35's with no lift by just trimming the fenders! But I would personally at least get some pucks up front to level it out. If you don't have a Rubicon just pick up some Rubi shocks or a after market shock like bilstein. You would most likely end up with a better ride and just as much flex :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

mkjeep

Junkyard Dog
To the op: honestly before you drop coin on a lift that you will no doubt want to replace in 6 months with coil overs ( everyone does!). For that size tire a BB will be perfect with out all the headaches and need for track bars, adjustable control arms, and costly drive shaft (all of which are nice to have, but completely not needed for 2" lift). You can actually clear 35's with no lift by just trimming the fenders! But I would personally at least get some pucks up front to level it out. If you don't have a Rubicon just pick up some Rubi shocks or a after market shock like bilstein. You would most likely end up with a better ride and just as much flex :)

^^^^This! Sometimes I wish I was back on 35's with a BB. Woulda saved alotta$$$$

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yes I have bothered to look!! I completely go through my entire rig after each trip in the mountains, change my oil every 3,000 miles, change my Diff. fluid every 6,000 miles, So yes I know what the Drive shaft looks like and if it hits or not.

Cool, just asking, no need to get your panties in a bunch :crazyeyes:

While you may have been building and installing lifts on vehicles for 6 years, I have been doing the same for 20 years.

Just to clarify, I was only referring to JK's as that's how long they've been out and that's what we're discussing here. Beyond that, it's kind of irrelavant what Jeeps I worked on as none of them were a JK.

I am not trying to say that anyone is wrong or right, as if you have the experience you would know that there are not 2 vehicle alike.

:cheesy: Are you for real?? If you have the experience you claim you have, you would know that you are oh so very WRONG :yup:

What works on one may not work on another. But I think the First question that all of should of asked what front end does he have, as there are different option. High pinion or Standard Pinion, where as mine has the high pinion might be as too why it does not rub on the skid plate.

EVERY JK comes with a high pinion Dana 30 or 44 axle - EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM. There is no such thing as a standard pinion JK axle. All of them come with the same drive shafts too. Every 2007-10 comes with the same automatic transmission skid plate, every 2011-up automatic comes with the same skid bar, every 2012 auto or manual comes with an exhaust cross over that's moved foward and an a transmission that sits at a steeper angle causing the front drive shaft to make contact with the cross over. If you're not making contact with your skid plate, your shocks are too short and acting as limiting straps, plain and simple. But of course, you can believe whatever it is you want to believe. :yup:

Skid_Kid

What happened to the "yawn" emoticon? I guess these will have to do...:blahblah: :bored01:

MTG I think you waved your magical driveshaft and look what popped up! :yawn37: I love this forum! Thanks for that pic by the way. It helped a lot.

JAGS

Hooked
EVERY JK comes with a high pinion Dana 30 or 44 axle - EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM. There is no such thing as a standard pinion JK axle. All of them come with the same drive shafts too. Every 2007-10 comes with the same automatic transmission skid plate, every 2011-up automatic comes with the same skid bar, every 2012 auto or manual comes with an exhaust cross over that's moved foward and an a transmission that sits at a steeper angle causing the front drive shaft to make contact with the cross over. :yup:

Damn you WOL. The dealer told me my jeep was special, because it was mine and I'm special. Now you're telling me its just like every other JKUR built in 2012. 😱😡

I am severely saddened by the heart breaking news. 😩

You make it sound as if you saw these being built in the factory or something. Like it was a production vehicle of some sort. 👀

I'm in complete shock right now!

JKBANDIT55

Honestly 3" is way too much for 295s. 35s then it would be perfect.

2.5" is where you need to be. If your on a budget, the rough country 2.5" coil lift might be something to look at. It's what I have been running for almost a year now, flex the crap out of it and it has gotten me through plenty of trails with 0 problems. With a 2012 auto, at full flex I get pretty close to rubbing the drive shaft but just barely. Any higher and It would rip.

But there are lots of good options out there for clearing 295s. The SMART thing to do, and something I always go by is, don't get more lift than is needed to run the size tires you want. Anything bigger than 2.5" and your going to need to dish out more money on other components to lift your jeep properly.

If you don't believe Eddie, just google drive shafts ripping on Jeep jk's. you will find tons of hits on Jk's lifted 3"+ needing new drive shafts due to the boot ripping and spitting out all it's grease.

If someone is running a 3"+ lift, then their shocks are too short limiting the amount of flex that is required for the lift. That is why the DS isn't breaking.

Hope this helps and good luck!!

jkrossi

So I just installed a 2.5" BB on my 07 4dr and I do have an automatic transmission. I'm going to run 33" tires and I'm using the shock extenders. Am I going to jack up the boot on my front drive shaft and need a new shaft?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Damn you WOL. The dealer told me my jeep was special, because it was mine and I'm special. Now you're telling me its just like every other JKUR built in 2012. 

I am severely saddened by the heart breaking news. 

You make it sound as if you saw these being built in the factory or something. Like it was a production vehicle of some sort. 

Me, see these things built in the factory? Where would you get a crazy idea like that. You make it sound like I know people at Chrysler or something :crazyeyes:

I'm in complete shock right now!

Sorry about that :D

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So I just installed a 2.5" BB on my 07 4dr and I do have an automatic transmission. I'm going to run 33" tires and I'm using the shock extenders. Am I going to jack up the boot on my front drive shaft and need a new shaft?

No, you should be fine. With the shock extenders, you will not obtain enough droop to cause DS damage even at a full flex.

jkrossi

No, you should be fine. With the shock extenders, you will not obtain enough droop to cause DS damage even at a full flex.

Koo thanks. And if I got a little longer shock I would be ok too right? How long of a shock can I use? I hate the look of that damn extender!!

Sent from my DROID X2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Koo thanks. And if I got a little longer shock I would be ok too right? How long of a shock can I use? I hate the look of that damn extender!!

Oh and I plan on disconnecting the front sway bar

You'd want to just get a shock that was as long extended as you would have with a factory shock plus extensions. In other words, about 2" longer than factory. Any more and you will most likely have enough droop to do damage to your drive shaft.

jkrossi

You'd want to just get a shock that was as long extended as you would have with a factory shock plus extensions. In other words, about 2" longer than factory. Any more and you will most likely have enough droop to do damage to your drive shaft.

For sure that totally makes sense. Sorry for the silly question but I bought a jeep since i broke my back on dirtbike. I had to stay in the offroad game some how. I look forward to meeting everyone down here at ECJ Brewery. Ill be rolling in my wheelchair so throw something at me so I can thank you guys for putting out great info and a fun forum. And hopefully hit a trail with you guys someday.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
For sure that totally makes sense. Sorry for the silly question but I bought a jeep since i broke my back on dirtbike. I had to stay in the offroad game some how. I look forward to meeting everyone down here at ECJ Brewery. Ill be rolling in my wheelchair so throw something at me so I can thank you guys for putting out great info and a fun forum. And hopefully hit a trail with you guys someday.

LOL!! Not silly questions at all. I look foward to seeing you at the suds-n-grub :thumb:

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
All I have to say is WayofLife has a lot of experience without a doubt. Hell just watch any of the wayalife or project-jk films. On top of that he is wheeling with people from EVO and others that have built extreme rigs. Plus they have dealt with many different deals and distributors. Also as WayofLife has stated he has been to the JK factory (Just watch The heartland experience part 2). You have showed a simple picture of your Jeep flexing a little. I am going to always take the advice from someone that has proven himself and knowledge. Wayoflife and the others he has wheeled with all have proven they can fix anything, whether it be welding some open end wrench to a broken axle shaft to hold it together to be able to get off the trail or change a ring and pinion. Again they have done this just watch the videos, to me Wayoflife has proven his knowledge and what he is talking about and I will always take his advice. Sorry, just had to add my two cents.

Last edited:
Top Bottom