Taking the Plunge!

Astroman

Wow what an amazing transformation beautiful rig. I remember talking to you on YouTube after running to your video aha.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks! Yeah -- I started the editing of this Phase II video for YouTube, but between lack of time available and how tedious video editing became, I fell way behind the power curve. Not sure how Cindy does it! :crazy eyes:

Holy crap!! Amazing Jeep. Great job. Hope the Hollister thread can see it in person, not that we can keep up with you :)

Thanks -- the results pretty much aligned with the original vision from 2 years ago, so I'm pretty stoked about that. I'm glad I went with the KMC Machetes vs the Spyderlocks as they are some of the best looking (and functional) beadlocks on the market IMHO. I'm also glad this forum help steer me away from 20" wheels, when I was gung ho about imitating Moby's look when he was on the 20" Slabs and 15.5" wide Mud Grapplers. From a functional standpoint, better to have more sidewall than rim for hardcore wheeling. And yes -- hopefully the Hollister ride will materialize and I get to meet more of you great folks!

Looks awesome![emoji106]

Thanks black pearl!

Astroman

Looks great!

Thank you Bear! :thumb:

I just found this thread....very cool and what an awesome Jeep. It turned out great. I was surprised how the stock motors and 5:38 on 40’s ran too.

Appreciate it Jeff. Yes -- with the 5.38 gearing she doesn't feel like the slug as I was anticipating. Don't get me wrong -- you definitely feel the extra mass, but I have no trouble cruising at 75+ mph and maintaining speed up long grades. Of course the overall MPG has dipped into the low 13s :sigh:

TOPLESS

Caught the Bug
Looks great! And I would agree that ass looks good! (I normally say that about women but damn thats awesome)

Astroman

What a sexy beast!

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Alrighty then -- :blush:

Looks great! And I would agree that ass looks good! (I normally say that about women but damn thats awesome)

:cheesy: no shame in that bro!

Unbelievable! You have to be so excited to take out and put it to the test

Just waiting for the snow to clear a bit in the Sierra. Really wish I was going to EJS to stretch her new legs out. Will hit Hollister Hills after the rains are over -- not a fan of heavy clay mud :naw:

So much eye candy!! Man that’s nice[emoji482]

Go big or go home they say.... you went big my friend.

Yup -- in this case just making up for lost time! :yup:

Looks good

Thanks Dale! :thumb:

Astroman

Update

A couple of follow up items:

First, since picking up the vehicle in February, I have had a chance to thoroughly wring out the Phase II set up on some great hard core rides, and I must say, the difference between Phase I and II is not just incremental, but transformational! Driving the same lines I did on 37s with the 40s felt like cheating! With the added clearance and beefy axles, I find myself much more confident taking the hard lines. Walked right up obstacles like Soup Bowl on first attempt. I find my driving skills are the limiting factor in most cases -- guess I'll need to keep practicing :D

Second, just as the off-road capability increase was more than incremental, so was the decrease in gas mileage :shock:.........went from 14.4 average to 12.0! This is my daily driver as well, but since my commute is only 7 miles, I have no problem taking the JK to work every day :yup:

Third, I learned a lesson about pushing schedule on a project of this magnitude. I love the work that Offroad Evolution has done for me over the years and I do not fault them for a couple of issues that escaped their shop, since I was pushing them for completion -- they bent over backwards to accommodate my expediting them to make a planned group run. The first issue was a pinhole leak in one of the 90-deg elbow connectors on the PSC ram cylinder. The hole was so tiny, that it was not even visible, but under the high pressure near full lock, hydraulic fluid sprayed like crazy. The pinhole was caused by a very slight rub from the drag link -- easy to miss, but fortunately easy to fix. The other more serious issue was the modification to my airbox to accommodate the PSC reservoir hoses. To clear the hoses, the bottom of the airbox was cut out. This defeated my snorkel and so, I should have at least been consulted. I discovered the issue when I changed the air filter and saw the gaping hole in the bottom of the airbox. The new sales manager Zan (Drew is no longer with ORE), took care of it.

While at ORE, they also took care of another issue. My Dynatrac PR80 developed a leaky airlocker (ARB) -- internal to the pumpkin. Being that the axle was just installed this past Feb, Dynatrac took care of it. ORE and Dynatrac coordinated the repair and had things resolved in 24 hours -- awesome. Big shout out to Jim and the crew at Dynatrac :rock:

Not sure how others with AEV snorkels and PSC ram assist have addressed the airbox clearance issue, but here's how ORE addressed it and may offer an option for others considering this same issue:

Installed a dual-battery tray and used the second battery location for the PSC reservoir:

IMG_1767.jpg

IMG_1768.jpg

IMG_1769.jpg

Now I was going to go with a dual battery set-up, however, when I do the Hemi conversion, there'll be a lot of re-arranging things under the hood, and so I will incorporate dual battery set up then :thumb:

Again, I'm not calling out ORE here, rather this is a lesson about pressuring a shop that works hard to accommodate (sometimes unrealistic) customer expectations. Mel himself rebuilt my front King bypass shocks while they took care of the airbox situation and leaky airlocker. Great customer service!

Astroman

So.......after enjoying a year of fantastic wheeling on the Phase II mods, it's time to energize Phase III :clap2:

I had originally planned Phase III (Hemi conversion plus Atlas II) at the end of 2018, however I've been stymied by finding a CA smog-legal conversion. Jeep Speed Shop has managed to get the 5.7 VVT truck Hemi certified, but I'm doing a 6.4L Hemi conversion......for which there is no CA smog legal avenue. Talking with various shops in CA, most customers have newer JK's and so don't have to worry about smog inspection for 5 years and other CA drivers just register their vehicles where it's legal or there is no smog inspection.

So, I'm going to take advantage of my Colorado home to register my (soon to be) Hemi JK in that state.

Was going to have one of the well-known Hemi conversion shops (AEV, Trail Jeeps, Rubitrux, Dakota Customs, Jeep Speed Shop, etc) do a turn-key conversion, but thanks to Vic (Ruvicon) he's going to help me do a DIY conversion :yup:

Beginning the task now of sourcing a Hemi motor and conversion kit. Plan is to have the JK done in time for the Moab run first week of April. Vic will do the tear-down preparations mid-Feb while I'm gone on a SCUBA vacation in Thailand

Will post progress here as we move along. Getting excited! :wings:

fiend

Caught the Bug
So.......after enjoying a year of fantastic wheeling on the Phase II mods, it's time to energize Phase III :clap2:

I had originally planned Phase III (Hemi conversion plus Atlas II) at the end of 2018, however I've been stymied by finding a CA smog-legal conversion. Jeep Speed Shop has managed to get the 5.7 VVT truck Hemi certified, but I'm doing a 6.4L Hemi conversion......for which there is no CA smog legal avenue. Talking with various shops in CA, most customers have newer JK's and so don't have to worry about smog inspection for 5 years and other CA drivers just register their vehicles where it's legal or there is no smog inspection.

So, I'm going to take advantage of my Colorado home to register my (soon to be) Hemi JK in that state.

Was going to have one of the well-known Hemi conversion shops (AEV, Trail Jeeps, Rubitrux, Dakota Customs, Jeep Speed Shop, etc) do a turn-key conversion, but thanks to Vic (Ruvicon) he's going to help me do a DIY conversion :yup:

Beginning the task now of sourcing a Hemi motor and conversion kit. Plan is to have the JK done in time for the Moab run first week of April. Vic will do the tear-down preparations mid-Feb while I'm gone on a SCUBA vacation in Thailand

Will post progress here as we move along. Getting excited! :wings:

Vic sure sounds like a solid friend. [emoji23]

Seriously though, that hemi is gonna be awesome!

Brute

Hooked
Almost as good as a hamster ride into the stratosphere in a home built rocket...(that might be a classified inside joke)...

wjtstudios

Hooked
Can’t wait to hear how you like it. The only concerns I’ve heard from guys the run the 6.4 is that the run Hot. 13_gecko_rubi May have some insight on this and work arounds to get it to run cooler including different cats. It’s on my list way down the road, so I’m very interested in what you think.

Astroman

Almost as good as a hamster ride into the stratosphere in a home built rocket...(that might be a classified inside joke)...

Ha ha! I’d rate that a close second. Although I’ve got a new hamsternaut in training — did some high-G runs on a home-built centrifuge and some high altitude conditioning with a capsule suspended under a tethered weather balloon. He’s looking pretty solid so far!

Top Bottom