TeraFlex 2.5 BB or 2.5 Lift??

jkrossi

Wonder if any of these issues cross over the Budget Boost? I'm looking for a little bump (el cheapo like) for the time being while I save up for the big stuff. Is it bad to assume I wouldn't have these issues with the stock springs and TF spacers. :thinking:

The budget boost shouldnt have these issues. I have it on my 07 and everything is just fine. It will be stock articulation. It just allows for you to clear 35" tires and give you some ground clearance.

jkrossi

Oh plus there will be no need to chop the fenders either 35" tires will tuck. You will need wheelspacers if running stock wheels 1.25" or 1.50" you can either use stock shocks with shock extension brackets or get shocks the are equivalent in length of stock shock plus extensions if that makes sense. So so shocks 2" longer than stock is safe but don't go any longer or the axles will drop to far.

I have pics of my jeep with the tf budget boost on my profile you can check out

JAGS

Hooked
Thanks Rossi! I've heard a few people say they've had issues with the BB on the 2012s. :idontknow: I'm still saving for tires, but think I might have found a BB for real cheap and may pick it up and hold onto it till I get tires.

TheDuff

Thanks Rossi! I've heard a few people say they've had issues with the BB on the 2012s. :idontknow: I'm still saving for tires, but think I might have found a BB for real cheap and may pick it up and hold onto it till I get tires.

Pretty sure an exhaust spacer fixes the bb issue on the 2012+

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

JethroJK

Some things to think about with BB. I just installed a BB about 2 months ago. Handles well and have not had any issues off road. But you will need to trim fenders if you want full flex. Mine does rub. Front brake lines will be too close for comfort so I re-routed them to allow some slack. The rear trackbar bracket that comes with the kit didn't fit correctly so TF sent me a better axle bracket to reposition the trackbar.

I choose the BB to get the ride height and tires under it for now. Later once I figure out a larger lift I will go with that but the BB is good for my needs now.

Also the other decision was the fact it is still a daily driver. The BB maintained the factory highway feel and after a ProCal I am getting on computer about 18-19 on highway with 35s. Hope that helped ya some.

jeep.r

Any risk for 2013 models?

No. If you have a 2012 or newer and have a 3" lift or more or even a 2.5" lift with shocks that are too long, the front drive shaft will make contact with the exhaust cross over and be damaged by it. If you have a 2.5" coil spacer lift with shock extensions or shocks made specifically for a 2012 or newer, you will be fine.

So glad I stumbled onto this thread. I just traded a 2010 2dr and bought a 2013 JKU Rubicon. I'm was running 33's last time around and want to move up to 35s so I'm looking for a lift. I previously had a TF Budget Boost and had no problems whatsoever. Installation was straightforward, other than a bit of tight fit with the relocation bracket in the rear. It ran great for the 3 years I had it, with light to moderate off road use and as a daily driver.

I was considering doing that again, but saw that they offer a 2.5" coil option and wanted to learn more. What I've been reading in various threads is making me a bit nervous, as it seems less straightforward than my last install on the '10 2dr.

My 3 questions:

1. Will the 2.5" coil from TF require the exhaust modification?
  2. I'm considering Teraflex because I've gone with them before. Is there a different 2.5" option I should be considering?
  3. If I choose either kit, is sticking with the stock Rubicon shocks (w/extensions) better than ordering a kit that comes with TF shocks?

Appreciate the help and hopefully these questions add to the thread for everyone else!

TheDuff

The install is the same as a budget boost. You will want the exhaust spacer. The mono tube rubi shocks are IMO a better ride. But I would seriously suggest just buying another budget boost and picking up some really nice shocks, then later down the road buying some better coils, like the 3" evo plush rides. Better ride and cheaper:)

Brankz

The install is the same as a budget boost. You will want the exhaust spacer. The mono tube rubi shocks are IMO a better ride. But I would seriously suggest just buying another budget boost and picking up some really nice shocks, then later down the road buying some better coils, like the 3" evo plush rides. Better ride and cheaper:)

The spacer for the catback are only for 2012+ uh?
I'm still undecided if I run springs or a bb.
Or what brand shut I go
I was thinking teraflex 2.5 full kit with 1.25 inch body spacer but I don't know

Branks ...
WAYALIFE mobile app

JethroJK

Another option is a smaller drive shaft vice spacers. Like Tom Woods or JE Reel. With my 2.5 BB no contact issues but anything bigger I will change out drive shaft.

JethroJK

The spacer for the catback are only for 2012+ uh?
I'm still undecided if I run springs or a bb.
Or what brand shut I go
I was thinking teraflex 2.5 full kit with 1.25 inch body spacer but I don't know

Branks ...
WAYALIFE mobile app

One issue to consider with spacers is you pushing your exhaust down and will extend into the danger zone, potential to get hit on the trail. Also some skid systems will not fit with that mod to the exhaust. For example the EVO skid plate will not fit.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
One issue to consider with spacers is you pushing your exhaust down and will extend into the danger zone, potential to get hit on the trail. Also some skid systems will not fit with that mod to the exhaust. For example the EVO skid plate will not fit.

It doesn't really push it down into the danger zone. If you hit that section of your exhaust with the spacer you would probably still hit it without the spacer.

JethroJK

It doesn't really push it down into the danger zone. If you hit that section of your exhaust with the spacer you would probably still hit it without the spacer.

I see what your saying but I have seen pics with the spacers and it does break the plane of the bottom of the Jeep which is what I am trying to say.

jeep.r

Thanks for the info and recommendation. Any difference in the Rugged Ridge exhaust spacer vs the Teraflex one? The TF version is twice the price.

Link to the cheaper option:

http://www.amazon.com/Jeep-Wrangler-Exhaust-Spacer-Kit/dp/B008900BRU/

JKU EXTREME

So if a person buys a 2.5 inch lift and it raises it 3 inches then what drive line and alignment issues would you expect? Newbie to this and appreciate the feedback. Would it just be the front drive shaft? What about LCAs?

Here's what I've read, it raises it to 3"s but it starts to purposely sag to end up with 2.5"

Sent from JKU EXTREME from his Wayalife iPhone app

TheDuff

Here's what I've read, it raises it to 3"s but it starts to purposely sag to end up with 2.5"

Sent from JKU EXTREME from his Wayalife iPhone app

That will start to happen, but only noticeable in the front, making the rake even worse. With a 1" poly spacer up front, I still have noticeable rake with no occupants in the jeep, this of course gets worse when I have 2 adults up front. Maybe I just have defective springs:(

Brankz

That will start to happen, but only noticeable in the front, making the rake even worse. With a 1" poly spacer up front, I still have noticeable rake with no occupants in the jeep, this of course gets worse when I have 2 adults up front. Maybe I just have defective springs:(

If there teraflex call them they may change them for u

Branks ...
WAYALIFE mobile app

JethroJK

I think it has a lot to do with the Jeep itself. I installed the 2.5 BB and all my rake is gone. Sits level.

TheDuff

I think it has a lot to do with the Jeep itself. I installed the 2.5 BB and all my rake is gone. Sits level.

I don't have a BB. I have tf 2.5 coil lift, had I done a BB it would probably sit level. IMO the tf coils are just not worth the cost. I'm not the first to have bad sag issues with their springs and for the money a BB or a different brand's coils would have been a better investment.

In5ane1

Not to complicate, but is it safe to say with coils (2.5") you would be ok with aftermarket bumpers, but with factory bumpers you will most likely be at that 3"-3.5" mark which will cause driveshaft issues.

If this is true, would it be best just to add leveling kit now and work on body armor then upgrade to springs, or just do bb which would get me by longer, or do coils with exhaust spacer?

How capable is a bb in comparison to coil springs if using shock extensions or 2.5" shocks.

I have a 2013 jku and only plan to run 33's.

Awesome thread, thanks!

Top Bottom