TeraFlex 2.5 BB or 2.5 Lift??

Not to complicate, but is it safe to say with coils (2.5") you would be ok with aftermarket bumpers, but with factory bumpers you will most likely be at that 3"-3.5" mark which will cause driveshaft issues.

If this is true, would it be best just to add leveling kit now and work on body armor then upgrade to springs, or just do bb which would get me by longer, or do coils with exhaust spacer?

How capable is a bb in comparison to coil springs if using shock extensions or 2.5" shocks.

I have a 2013 jku and only plan to run 33's.

Awesome thread, thanks!

A budget boost is only as capable as the stock suspension. It's really mainly for looks over performance. From what I've heard, rock krawler is coming out with a 1.5" lift soon that you may be interested in... I would save for a spring lift and get armor put on at the same time to keep it at the height you want

gtony12

Caught the Bug
TF everyone talks about. But I decided to go with the Rough Country, Series II kit includes front and rear coil spacers, front and rear brake line brackets, front and rear shock relocation brackets, rear track bar bracket, and rear sway bar links. For a BB lift the price was good and hopefully covers everything I need to complete the install. One day I will go with an EVO kit. But that's going to be a while so for now I can enjoy the trails. Just another BB lift to look at. There all about the same. :twocents:

In5ane1

A budget boost is only as capable as the stock suspension. It's really mainly for looks over performance. From what I've heard, rock krawler is coming out with a 1.5" lift soon that you may be interested in... I would save for a spring lift and get armor put on at the same time to keep it at the height you want

You mean 2.5"? They already have a 1.75"

TheDuff

Really the main limiting factor is shock length. You can compensate for the BB with either shock extensions or longer shocks. IMO I would go for the later and invest in some real nice shocks. A lot of shocks cover a range of lift sizes, so if the intent is to just get 2.5 now and possibly move to 3.5" later down the road, why buy 2 lifts? A BB will give u a rear track bar bracket, longer rear links (move factory rears to the front) brake line drop brackets, bump stop extensions, and the pucks. Its the same basics as a larger lift with out the $900+ price tag. Put on proper length shocks and u got the same flex as a coil lift and w/o the spring sag:)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

In5ane1

Really the main limiting factor is shock length. You can compensate for the BB with either shock extensions or longer shocks. IMO I would go for the later and invest in some real nice shocks. A lot of shocks cover a range of lift sizes, so if the intent is to just get 2.5 now and possibly move to 3.5" later down the road, why buy 2 lifts? A BB will give u a rear track bar bracket, longer rear links (move factory rears to the front) brake line drop brackets, bump stop extensions, and the pucks. Its the same basics as a larger lift with out the $900+ price tag. Put on proper length shocks and u got the same flex as a coil lift and w/o the spring sag:)

That's kind of what I'm thinking for now, heck it might suit most of my needs anyhow. Living in north Alabama we don't do as many rocks as you guys, so not sure if I need all the flex.

On another note, saw another forum that said they weren't having to do exhaust spacers on the teraflex coils (2.5)...but I've been reading wayalife's posts for a long while and tend to trust what he says. So little Leary to say the least.

With a bb I can still afford to build up jeep armor and recovery gear! Anyone know a dealbreaker on the rough country 2.5" vs teraflex?

Last edited:

TheDuff

That's kind of what I'm thinking for now, heck it might suit most of my needs anyhow. Living in north Alabama we don't do as many rocks as you guys, so not sure if I need all the flex.

On another note, saw another forum that said they weren't having to do exhaust spacers on the teraflex coils (2.5)...but I've been reading wayalife's posts for a long while and tend to trust what he says. So little Leary to say the least.

With a bb I can still afford to build up jeep armor and recovery gear! Anyone know a dealbreaker on the rough country 2.5" vs teraflex?

I keep seeing people say that u don't need to worry about the exhaust crossover pipe till over 3" of lift. There are 2 ways to address the issue at that point, the spacer or a new drive shaft.

Krieger

I have this lift I'm running the Terraflex 2.5 spring lift with the Terraflex shocks. For your money you can't go wrong I paid about $720 for the kit on sale and took it to a buddy's shop and installed the lift myself. I have ran hard in the desert and done some nice rock trails and have flexed to the max and have had no issues. The shocks that come with the kit are soso but hey for the price what do ya expect. I'd say if you need a lift and are short on cash this kit will do ya heres some shots of my rig with stock
Rubi tires.

Attachments

• image-1194866623.jpg
    image-1194866623.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 170
  • image-1989478910.jpg
    image-1989478910.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 168
  • image-1191980678.jpg
    image-1191980678.jpg
    341.7 KB · Views: 165

bklimes

I appreciate the feedback. I feel that if I just spend the extra I get a solid one piece lift vice pieces on pieces. My fear however is if the new springs push me higher than 2.5 and I have drive train issues.

Now the next question is whether to get a new shock? Was looking at Blisten 5100 setup. Does anyone have those? Also do I just purchase the adjustable track bar or see if it is needed first? I see how this addiction starts to add up. Lol.

On the drive train issue. Look up Teraflex on YouTube and look for the video just on the 2 types of 2.5 in lifts. Good info and comparisons.
Sorry, I see the video link above.... doh

sorry to revive this old thread, but does anyone know if the exhaust spacers from teraflex will interfere with the oil and transmission skid plates from EVO? I have a 2012 JKR and am looking to get the TF 2.5 BB. As soon as I get a chance, I'm gonna take a look under my Jeep myself, but just wondering if anyone has gone through this.

JethroJK

sorry to revive this old thread, but does anyone know if the exhaust spacers from teraflex will interfere with the oil and transmission skid plates from EVO? I have a 2012 JKR and am looking to get the TF 2.5 BB. As soon as I get a chance, I'm gonna take a look under my Jeep myself, but just wondering if anyone has gone through this.

With a 2012 JKUR you do not need exhaust spacers if installing a 2.5 BB. I have had mine for about 19000 miles and through quite a few trails with no issues.

With a 2012 JKUR you do not need exhaust spacers if installing a 2.5 BB. I have had mine for about 19000 miles and through quite a few trails with no issues.

Do you have an aftermarket driveshaft? All I've heard is that you need to either move the exhaust to clear the driveshaft, or an aftermarket driveshaft to clear the exhaust. Have you tried this with the sway bar disconnected? I also have a two door so it may be different from your unlimited. I did take a look and all I would need to do is trim a little bit of the skid for the exhaust to clear.

JethroJK

Do you have an aftermarket driveshaft? All I've heard is that you need to either move the exhaust to clear the driveshaft, or an aftermarket driveshaft to clear the exhaust. Have you tried this with the sway bar disconnected? I also have a two door so it may be different from your unlimited. I did take a look and all I would need to do is trim a little bit of the skid for the exhaust to clear.

I have a factory driveshaft and no problems. When researching my lift and concerns with the exhaust crossover I found that it really applies when you get to 3 inch or more. A 2.5 inch lift has not given me any problems and yes, with sway bar disconnected.

Now as far as a 2 door being different I would think you are correct just based on the geometry is different but someone else needs to chime in to answer that officially because I honestly have no experience with a 2 door.

Now from what I remember reading is if you put the spacers in for the exhaust crossover, the EVO skid will not fit. But I could have misunderstood. Most of the answers I got when asking about this was just to get a aftermarket driveshaft because they are a small diameter and would be good for a 3 inch lift. But again, I did only a 2.5 and no issues with factory driveshaft.

JKUx

Here's are some pics of my 2008 6spd
with TF BB 2.5 with shock extensions and 315/70/17 Goodyear Duratracs equivalent to 35 in tires 17x9 pro comps w4.75 backspacing; rides great!
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1385945869.582509.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1385945902.632705.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1385945934.731510.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1385945968.133927.jpg

JKUx

I plan on upgrading to full suspension though, looking to 3.5 in system but not sure what to get as there are so many brands out there; I was looking into aev but it seems overpriced for shocks and springs.

I have a factory driveshaft and no problems. When researching my lift and concerns with the exhaust crossover I found that it really applies when you get to 3 inch or more. A 2.5 inch lift has not given me any problems and yes, with sway bar disconnected.

Now as far as a 2 door being different I would think you are correct just based on the geometry is different but someone else needs to chime in to answer that officially because I honestly have no experience with a 2 door.

Now from what I remember reading is if you put the spacers in for the exhaust crossover, the EVO skid will not fit. But I could have misunderstood. Most of the answers I got when asking about this was just to get a aftermarket driveshaft because they are a small diameter and would be good for a 3 inch lift. But again, I did only a 2.5 and no issues with factory driveshaft.

Gotcha, thanks for the info. You actually convinced me to check and I see TF has that 2.5" lift kit with coils with the option to upgrade later with the arms. Thought they only had a 3"

Top Bottom