TeraFlex Hinged Tire Carrier Break

All I can hope for is not to have these sames issues. I run a 35" and the way mine is mounted I can't imagine having any problem with it. It fit very snuggly against the hinge. I will report back after a year of use. I will admit that I spent a lot of money for it, but if I continue to have zero problems then it was money well spent IMO.

Yup. Trust me, I have seen it happen enough times to make me recommend against a tire carrier like this if you plan on wheeling your Jeep.

Even if you do everything right and there is no movement, a tailgate tire carrier is still a bad idea in my opinion. I have see way too many Jeeps catch the spare coming off a ledge or going up one and that either breaks the carrier and/or does significant damage to the tailgate. I have personally seen this happen on several JK's on this particular obstacle over the last 6 years.

This tire ended up breaking clean off the tire carrier...
main.php

The threat is real enough that a lot of people remove their spares before descended obstacles like White Knuckle Hill...
main.php

Of course, that's just my opinion based on what I have seen.

That's right, we do have a video on that - Fast forward to 5:33

You just can't make this stuff up :crazyeyes:

Oh yeah, that's Old Smokey back in the day :crazyeyes:

This thread went full circle. lol

Yup. Trust me, I have seen it happen enough times to make me recommend against a tire carrier like this if you plan on wheeling your Jeep.

I've seen a stock wheel on a factory tailgate mount get twisted bad on a small drop. I run a rockhard bumper/tire carrier and have had the weight back half the jeep on it. No damage at all with it. It's my wife's dd so most the time I have the spare off so she can see out the back. Hard to see over or around a 37.

Funny, the tire carrier was installed per the instructions provided by TeraFlex and contrary to what you're trying to suggest, wasn't dragged on any steep angles. In fact, it broke while driving fast down a desert road during it's maiden run off pavement. Had you been there, you would know this instead of having to rely on your assumptions. Of course, all that is really a moot point as if I were paying over $700 for a tire carrier, I would expect that it could handle the kind of trails we have out here in the west like the Rubicon and Moab where steep angles are what we have to deal with all the time. If it couldn't, I would think it's a waste of money. But hey, that's just me.

Oh I get it, the owner of this tire carrier must be at fault for the break because he followed directions provided by TeraFlex to the best of his ability. God forbid that TeraFlex should just make a better product to begin with and one that anyone could install regardless of who they are or what you think they should know. I mean, we're just talking about safety here. :naw:

Then may I suggest that you find someone who doesn't have the upgraded bracket, encourage them NOT to get one and then be sure to follow them real close both on and off the trail. After all, the improved bracket is just being made to protect them and not you. :yup:

Hmmm, let's see. I spent my Sunday morning hanging out with friends at a dragstrip. You on the other hand spent your Sunday morning on the internet making this your very first post here. Maybe you're right, "fanboy" may not be the word that would best describe you. ;)

C'mon man, don't wear your heart on your sleeve.

Half of what you posted is laughable and not even worth a response.... What you do on a Sunday compared to me?
LOL. Seriously? What, the neighborhood cat crap in your sandbox again?

I never said that's what happened here, rather calling out that one shouldn't expect this to support any of the vehicles weight while dragging over obstacles. Although it doesn't matter what wheeling you're doing if the thing isn't mounted effectively.

So again, you wouldn't agree with my earlier statement then?

The broken example here shows the owner ignored common sense that has involved all models of jeeps and mounting larger spares on the tailgate.

I guess those rubber bumpers that come from the factory to brace the spare tire aren't needed and all is well if you let a heavy wheel wobble around back there? Silly Jeep engineers... Oh, and TF too! Because I spent $700 on this.

And do I really need to post the TF install video here? You know they do show how to measure backspace and set accordingly all the while mentioning to have it pull the tire up against the hinge, right?

But no, the vehicle owner is your buddy so that absolves them from any accountability... can't be their mistake too because they may have been using an incompatible wheel or needed take another approach at their setup. TF should recall every one sold and give my buddy a handjob because that will make him happy. And when he's happy, WOL is happy.

Err... Maybe I should just go make a post about what lift or tires I should get or if folks can post their specific color JK with so and so wheels/tires, because I doubt I'm going to reason with certain individuals here.

I find it funny how you people are still arguing with the OP and saying that Teraflex design is not the problem. Teraflex issued a replacement that is beefed up where it needs to be. HELLO! That means they know there design has flaws.

Thanks for the laugh 'fanboys'.:cheesy:

Half of what you posted is laughable and not even worth a response.... What you do on a Sunday compared to me?

I never said that's what happened here, rather calling out that one shouldn't expect this to support any of the vehicles weight while dragging over obstacles. Although it doesn't matter what wheeling you're doing if the thing isn't mounted effectively.

I guess those rubber bumpers that come from the factory to brace the spare tire aren't needed and all is well if you let a heavy wheel wobble around back there? Silly Jeep engineers... Oh, and TF too! Because I spent $700 on this.

And do I really need to post the TF install video here? You know they do show how to measure backspace and set accordingly all the while mentioning to have it pull the tire up against the hinge, right?

But no, the vehicle owner is your buddy so that absolves them from any accountability... can't be their mistake too because they may have been using an incompatible wheel or needed take another approach at their setup. TF should recall every one sold and give my buddy a handjob because that will make him happy. And when he's happy, WOL is happy.

Err... Maybe I should just go make a post about what lift or tires I should get or if folks can post their specific color JK with so and so wheels/tires, because I doubt I'm going to reason with certain individuals here.

I think your on the wrong forum. Try this one.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/

I find it funny how you people are still arguing with the OP and saying that Teraflex design is not the problem. Teraflex issued a replacement that is beefed up where it needs to be. HELLO! That means they know there design has flaws.

Well the original post was more "Hey FYI" in tone... but then people start questioning the install and it turned into "I'M RIGHT" and pissing in your Cherrios and trolling back and forth ensued... so the replies aren't all that surprising. It is the internet.

Replacement? Of course they did/will. And a design change is an easy, non-costly approach going forward. Can't argue that but that doesn't make them wrong.

But to stand on a pedestal and preach unsafe, blah blah blah nonsense and fluff their buddy who just cleared the rooms and thinks his chit don't stink is BS!

The original will be safe and issue free for those folks that can color within the lines.

All that was needed was a post of "look what happened, we've notified TF and they/we/us are looking to determine the cause and next steps". You guys comprehension skills must suck if you think I'm the fanboy and not some others here with the interweb company bullying.

I think your on the wrong forum. Try this one.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/

Do you think they'll like a picture of my stock JK flexing over there?

:cheesy: You're the one who came looking for this post and are now the pot calling the kettle black.

And yet, here you are, responding. You are laughable indeed ;)

I never said that's what happened here, rather calling out that one shouldn't expect this to support any of the vehicles weight while dragging over obstacles.

No, you never said that, you just made sure to point that out even though nobody ever made mention of it. :rolleyes2:

Although it doesn't matter what wheeling you're doing if the thing isn't mounted effectively.

Ummm, I could have sworn you just said that "one shouldn't expect this to support any of the vehicles weight while dragging over obstacles." Mounted effectively or not, it would seem that it does matter. But hey, what do I know. :idontknow:

Not that it matters being that TeraFlex has re-designed the part in question but, I wasn't aware that there was a YouTube video included with the tire carrier and that it was required to watch prior to installing it. :rolleyes2:

But no, the vehicle owner is your buddy so that absolves them from any accountability... can't be their mistake too because they may have been using an incompatible wheel or needed take another approach at their setup.

Funny, TeraFlex not only made an improved bracket, they sent one out to my friend and never once told him that he had done anything wrong. Clearly, you're the kind of guy who'll believe what he wants to believe but, their actions speak volumes to me.

TF should recall every one sold...

As a matter of fact, I do think they should do a recall and give everyone who bought one of these tire carriers an improved bracket as a matter of safety.

...and give my buddy a handjob because that will make him happy. And when he's happy, WOL is happy.

:cheesy: My buddy already got an improved bracket. Me, I'm perfectly happy knowing that I've made an effort to make sure that people who owned one of these tire carriers were aware of this potential problem. As far as handjobs go, you seem to be doing plenty of it for TeraFlex :yup:

So that it's clear, you're the one who signed up on my forum and chose make all 3 of your first posts on this thread and in the manner that you did. You get what you dish out my friend.

Replacement? Of course they did/will. And a design change is an easy, non-costly approach going forward. Can't argue that but that doesn't make them wrong.

No need to change a design or replace anything if they weren't WRONG. But clearly, you'll still argue with that.

But to stand on a pedestal and preach unsafe, blah blah blah nonsense and fluff their buddy who just cleared the rooms and thinks his chit don't stink is BS!

From here, it is you who is standing on a pedestal and preaching how safe blah blah blah nonsense and fluff your beloved TeraFlex and thinks their chit don't stink is BS.

The original will be safe and issue free for those folks that can color within the lines.

It's so great to hear you have so much faith in a product especially when the manufacturers of it doesn't. I should give them a call and tell them that you will now accept full responsibility for it so long as registration cards are colored within the lines :yup:

All that was needed was a post of "look what happened...

Ummm, I know you've been caught up in your agenda to defend your beloved TeraFlex and bash on me but, since you have missed it, that is exactly what I had done....

I know the TeraFlex Hinged Tire Carrier is a hot item right now but before you drop some serious coin for one, I just wanted to make sure you all know that this is something we saw happen to a brand new one last week...

Please note, this was holding a 37" Nitto Trail Grappler and according to TeraFlex, is within their recommended specifications. After closer examination, it is my opinion that the design of this tire carrier needs some serious improvements and hopefully before someone gets hurt. Please note, I am not trying to "bash" TeraFlex here, I just want to make sure you are aware of the potential problem. If you have one of these carriers installed on your Jeep, please be sure to keep an eye on this area just in case.

:naw:

we've notified TF and they/we/us are looking to determine the cause and next steps".

My friend did notify TF and they determined to improve the part and send him a new mount.

You guys comprehension skills must suck if you think I'm the fanboy and not some others here with the interweb company bullying

Again, you're the one who came on here with the purpose of making your first 3 posts on this thread and in the manner that you did. You my friend ARE a fanboy.

All that was needed was a post of "look what happened, we've notified TF and they/we/us are looking to determine the cause and next steps". You guys comprehension skills must suck if you think I'm the fanboy and not some others here with the interweb company bullying.

Do you think they'll like a picture of my stock JK flexing over there?

What's wrong with stock JK flexing? :thinking:

...All that was needed was a post of "look what happened, we've notified TF and they/we/us are looking to determine the cause and next steps"...
Ummm, I know you've been caught up in your agenda to defend your beloved TeraFlex and bash on me but, since you have missed it, that is exactly what I had done....

I know the TeraFlex Hinged Tire Carrier is a hot item right now but before you drop some serious coin for one, I just wanted to make sure you all know that this is something we saw happen to a brand new one last week...

Please note, this was holding a 37" Nitto Trail Grappler and according to TeraFlex, is within their recommended specifications. After closer examination, it is my opinion that the design of this tire carrier needs some serious improvements and hopefully before someone gets hurt. Please note, I am not trying to "bash" TeraFlex here, I just want to make sure you are aware of the potential problem. If you have one of these carriers installed on your Jeep, please be sure to keep an eye on this area just in case.
Without any sarcasm and emotions (I am afraid I have to make that clear):

Wouldn't you agree that it is common sense when using that type of a carrier the user should always make sure that there is no gap between the tire and the tailgate that will allow for jiggling?

I believe in your friend's setup was a gap between the tire and the tailgate, right? Shouldn't this have been addressed and discussed in the beginning as well? Isn't it possible that TeraFlex is now going to try to prevent failure that would only occur due to improper installation (the same failure that would occur with the factory carrier) just because users chose to ignore the obvious?

I am only on a fact finding mission here (no matter if I am new here or if I had 2000+ posts) so please let's stick to an objective discussion if possible!

Last edited:
Without any sarcasm and emotions (I am afraid I have to make that clear):

ah, I was wondering when you'd chime back in.

Wouldn't you agree that it is common sense when using that type of a carrier the user should always make sure that there is no gap between the tire and the tailgate that will allow for jiggling?

No, I wouldn't agree with what you think should be "common sense". I only know that this is a bad idea because I have been a Jeep owner for a very long time and have seen the kind of tailgate damage that can be caused by a spare left to jiggle around. My experience has taught me to make sure that the spare should be held securely in place and had even done write-ups about this over 10 years ago back when people were having similar problems on their TJ's. To assume that everyone should share in what you consider to be "common sense" is just arrogant and condescending.

I believe in your friend's setup was a gap between the tire and the tailgate, right? Shouldn't this have been addressed and discussed in the beginning as well? Isn't it possible that TeraFlex is now going to try to prevent failure that would only occur due to improper installation (the same failure that would occur with the factory carrier) just because users chose to ignore the obvious?

TeraFlex is the one who designed the bracket and made it so that improper installation was possible. You can blame my friend for ignoring the obvious but, it is my opinion that a good design would prevent that from happening in the first place.

I am only on a fact finding mission here (no matter if I am new here or if I had 2000+ posts) so please let's stick to an objective discussion if possible!

So you say

I placed mine against the hinges because of common sense which I usually don't have. I didn't measure as TF suggested, but I did make sure it was as snug as possible. I also don't hold TF responsible if I install wrong which I did with the lug bolts and then had to buy a new bracket. I personally feel for 35's which is the most I will run for awhile this is a great set-up if installed properly. Only time will tell if this thing holds up for me.

If you read the instructions that come with the carrier, they never clearly state that the tire should contact the carrier. In fact, there is a whole section (#4) that warns against making it too tight. It actually says, " if the tire sidewall hits the carrier during lug nut tightening, remove the tire, loosen the bolt and nut, and slide the outer tube piece farther out..."

So if anything they suggest the opposite on the instructions.

Dave

I placed mine against the hinges because of common sense which I usually don't have. I didn't measure as TF suggested, but I did make sure it was as snug as possible. I also don't hold TF responsible if I install wrong which I did with the lug bolts and then had to buy a new bracket. I personally feel for 35's which is the most I will run for awhile this is a great set-up if installed properly. Only time will tell if this thing holds up for me.

That's great that you had the right size tire and on the right size wheel with the right amount of back spacing to allow you to install things in a manner that would allow your common sense to install things snuggly against the hinge. TeraFlex used to advertise that their tire carrier could hold up to a 40" spare - I have seen they have since downgraded that to a 37" but still make no mention about what minimum back spacing is required to make it work as you feel it should. In the case of my friend, he adjusted the tire carrier as far back as was possible but wasn't able to suck it in any closer to allow for a snug fit. Common sense would suggest to me that TeraFlex should have known this would be an issue and should have made a provision for it. Hell, at the very least, they could have made it so that you could reuse the passenger side isolator hole so that you could install a Daystar isolator extension. But no, they chose not to in spite of what common sense should have told them - a company who's been in the business for long enough to have known this would be an issue. No, in this case, it would seem better to blame a guy like Tom and suggest he has no common sense even though he bought a product based on what is advertised and installed it to the best of his ability. :naw:

If you read the instructions that come with the carrier, they never clearly state that the tire should contact the carrier. In fact, there is a whole section (#4) that warns against making it too tight. It actually says, " if the tire sidewall hits the carrier during lug nut tightening, remove the tire, loosen the bolt and nut, and slide the outer tube piece farther out..."

So if anything they suggest the opposite on the instructions.

Dave

That's what it suggested to me as well. But, even if that weren't the case, it is my opinion that common sense would suggest that they have a responsibility to make it clear what size tire/wheel backspacing is required to make this tire carrier work. If nothing else, it would keep people from wasting their time and money on a product they can't use.

I will agree that TF should give guidelines and recommendations for the BS necessary for proper and safe install. I just hate a product gets bashed for being crap when thousands have had no problem.

Top Bottom