TeraFlex Hinged Tire Carrier Break

dchew

Thanks again Eddie for posting. As I mentioned before I have one of these sitting in a box, waiting for me to finish my build with 37" tires. After watching their install video again, my plan is to see if I can get the tire mounted with the inside of the tire touching the carrier, like it states in the video. My wheels have 4-5/8" backspacing so I think that will be possible. If I cannot get the tire to contact the carrier face, I will not use this carrier. If I can get it to mount correctly, then I am going to use it with 3 qualifiers:
1. I will first call them to ensure they are comfortable with 137 lbs of tire/wheel.
2. I will rig up some sort of safety strap, kinda like powder straps for skis.
3. I will make a point to inspect it on a regular basis.

So given the above, would you guys feel comfortable driving behind me on the freeway?? That's a serious question...

Dave

Sharkey

Word Ninja
^^^ I would. A good cable through the wheel and back to another point on carrier should provide a safety for failure.

gtony12

Caught the Bug
If they know there is a problem they should redesign the product.

Sent from my EVO using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

PlenaBarba

The tire carrier that broke was adjusted in as far as it could and the tire still didn't come close to making contact with the hinged carrier.

I can definitely see that all the vibration of not being installed tight against the hinge would cause it to fail. I've heard them stress that point that it needs to be installed tight inorder to be secure (I think they made some comment about driving like Daisy Duke). My 35" Trail Grappler is heavy, I can't imagine a 37'' bouncing around not installed tight against he hinge and carrier. Unfortunately it would be nearly impossible to provide a list of all of the wheel and tired combos it works with. For instance, I didn't realize I needed a spacer with the stock Moab which caused me to have to spend more money to get it to fit properly.

I initially purchased just the carrier to support the 35'' spare. They do provide four rubber pieces for in between the carrier and tailgate to decrease vibration at the base. The clamping design of the base and adjustable mount also totally eliminates all vibration. However, the weight of the 35 just caused too much strain on the sheet metal which, in turn, caused some wobble. I anticipate all wobble will be gone once it is tight against the hinge and carrier and not against the carrier alone (a 2''wide piece that extends at the base). I'll post some more feedback after its installed and I've driven on a few of these Louisiana washboard roads.

I also have to say that their carrier alone, IMO, is MUCH more stout that the stock carrier and picks the spare up higher and tighter to the tailgate which helps some with departure. (I realize it could probably still catch, but my 35" Trail Grappler doesn't stick out any farther then the stock tire on the stock carrier.) Also note, this carrier and sway bar links have been the only purchases I've made from TF so I'm not some raging fanboy. Just providing some hands on experience with this product. :beer:

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just to post an update to this thread, I spoke with my friend who broke this tire mount and the new one that he got from TeraFlex has 2 NEW gussets welded onto it. I honestly couldn't tell you if this will really help or not especially being that they still do nothing to prevent jiggling but, this proves that TeraFlex is aware of the weak spot and its potential to break and has taken steps to address it. Needless to say, I was right and all the fanboys who tried to defend them were wrong!!

Having said all that, it is my opinion that TeraFlex should be sending out a recall notice to all its customers but, based on how they've handled things in the past with their front track bars and long arm brackets, I doubt they will. Needless to say, if you own one of these tire carriers, I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you contact TeraFlex and ask to have a replacement tire mount sent to you and FREE of charge. Being that this is a safety issue, I can't imagine that they wouldn't help you out.

gtony12

Caught the Bug
Just to post an update to this thread, I spoke with my friend who broke this tire mount and the new one that he got from TeraFlex has 2 NEW gussets welded onto it. I honestly couldn't tell you if this will really help or not especially being that they still do nothing to prevent jiggling but, this proves that TeraFlex is aware of the weak spot and its potential to break and has taken steps to address it. Needless to say, I was right and all the fanboys who tried to defend them were wrong!!

Having said all that, it is my opinion that TeraFlex should be sending out a recall notice to all its customers but, based on how they've handled things in the past with their front track bars and long arm brackets, I doubt they will. Needless to say, if you own one of these tire carriers, I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you contact TeraFlex and ask to have a replacement tire mount sent to you and FREE of charge. Being that this is a safety issue, I can't imagine that they wouldn't help you out.

Nice, Eddie. You are right. And there's nothing better then safety. I have to agree. Tire falling off the back Carrier can cause a lot of damage or even kill someone.

Sent from my EVO using WAYALIFE mobile app

Bigfoot

Needless to say, I was right and all the fanboys who tried to defend them were wrong!!
I am planning to buy this hinged tire carrier soon. So maybe I am already a fanboy because I still believe in the reliability of this carrier. :thinking: However I also believe that the carrier only works if I am able to use it properly: The base plate is designed to make contact with the tire on the bottom in order to take stress from the carrier on the top of the adjustable cantilever. A snug fit to the tailgate (either with the factory carrier or the TeraFlex hinged carrier) is mandatory and part of the concept of these carriers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=GxmPoaqdtbc#t=295s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=GxmPoaqdtbc#t=332s

Apparently your friend is running wheels with an unusually small backspacing so that the tire cannot make contact with the tire carrier's base plate on the tailgate. I believe it is important to point out that the carrier is not too weak per se but that it won't be able to accommodate a certain backspacing and tire combination anymore. I can imagine that if the carrier had been designed to adjust to your friend's wheels then it probably wouldn't be able to adjust to a factory wheel anymore and vice versa. It's about the length of the adjustable cantilever. :twocents:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I am planning to buy this hinged tire carrier soon. So maybe I am already a fanboy because I still believe in the reliability of this carrier. :thinking: However I also believe that the carrier only works if I am able to use it properly: The base plate is designed to make contact with the tire on the bottom in order to take stress from the carrier on the top of the adjustable cantilever. A snug fit to the tailgate (either with the factory carrier or the TeraFlex hinged carrier) is mandatory and part of the concept of these carriers.

Apparently your friend is running wheels with an unusually small backspacing so that the tire cannot make contact with the tire carrier's base plate on the tailgate. I believe it is important to point out that the carrier is not too weak per se but that it won't be able to accommodate a certain backspacing and tire combination anymore. I can imagine that if the carrier had been designed to adjust to your friend's wheels then it probably wouldn't be able to adjust to a factory wheel anymore and vice versa. It's about the length of the adjustable cantilever. :twocents:

The wheels on his friends rig were 3.5" backspacing. Like most guys run out there.

And nice first post. :rolleyes2:

Bigfoot

Most wheels that I can see in all those "show me your wheels" threads have a backspacing of 4.5" to 4.75". If I were a decision maker with TeraFlex I would try to cover the most common backspacing which is probably not 3.5". The hinged carrier is sturdier than the factory carrier but in spite of the adjustable cantilever it still has similar design limitations compared to the factory carrier.

JK FAQ said:
I would recommend that you do not exceed 4.75" of back spacing and even at that, you may still have some minor rubbing up front at a full turn. Also, I would recommend that you do not go any less than 3.75" as anything less would cause your tires to stick out very far past the fender flares. Any back spacing within this range should work out great.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I don't know where you got that quote from or what it is actually referring to but ATX Beadlocks are 3.5" backspacing and a lot of guys run them. Raceline beadlocks are 4.00 backspacing (Raceline Monsters), Walker Evans start at 3.75" and go to 5", Hutchinson Beadlocks are 4.63".

In my opinion they should make it accommodate any backspacing and there is a wide variety. Also the backspacing could be almost forgotten if they included some sort of bumper like the stock system.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Most wheels that I can see in all those "show me your wheels" threads have a backspacing of 4.5" to 4.75". If I were a decision maker with TeraFlex I would try to cover the most common backspacing which is probably not 3.5". The hinged carrier is sturdier than the factory carrier but in spite of the adjustable cantilever it still has similar design limitations compared to the factory carrier.

Yes you are obviously a fanboy.

You don't seem to know what you are talking about.

Your argument is that the guy with the failure is responsible for the break because his wheels have too little backspacing?

Welcome to Wayalife. I hope you find it nice here. But based upon your first two posts, I HIGHLY doubt you will.

rtguy1

i need to check my setup for the gussets. if i do not have them i will pursue a new replacement that does. thanks for posting this update. it is appreciated.

Bigfoot

I don't know where you got that quote from or what it is actually referring to...
This quote is from the JK FAQ - Answers to the Questions Every Newbie has about the JK Wrangler.

Like I said before I can imagine that if the carrier had been designed to adjust to 3.5" of backspacing then it probably wouldn't be able to adjust to a factory wheel anymore and vice versa. It's about the length of the adjustable cantilever. They can only cover a certain range of backspacing which probably begins in the neighborhood of the factory wheel and ends somewhere around 4" of backspacing with 12.5" tires.

In case of the TeraFlex carrier the bumpstop has been replaced by the base plate of the adjustable carrier: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=GxmPoaqdtbc#t=332s

In my opinion it is all about maintaining a snug fit against this base plate. If an aftermarket part (TeraFlex carrier) does not fit another aftermarket part (wheel with 3.5" backspacing), don't use it! I just felt it is unfair to blame it all on the carrier if in this case there was no chance to utilize it properly. On the other hand TeraFlex should be more precise about the compatibility instead of claiming that it allows adjustment for up to 37" tires.

Last edited:

rtguy1

question for WOL. can you tell me if the new gussets u saw are shown in this pic of the adjustable mount. i beleive they are welded at the bottom of the mount here. trying to verify if i have the updated version or not. thanks

View attachment 16806

RK Racing

This quote is from the JK FAQ - Answers to the Questions Every Newbie has about the JK Wrangler.

Like I said before I can imagine that if the carrier had been designed to adjust to 3.5" of backspacing then it probably wouldn't be able to adjust to a factory wheel anymore and vice versa. It's about the length of the adjustable cantilever. They can only cover a certain range of backspacing which probably begins in the neighborhood of the factory wheel and ends somewhere around 4" of backspacing with 12.5" tires.

In case of the TeraFlex carrier the bumpstop has been replaced by the base plate of the adjustable carrier: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=GxmPoaqdtbc#t=332s

In my opinion it is all about maintaining a snug fit against this base plate. If an aftermarket part (TeraFlex carrier) does not fit another aftermarket part (wheel with 3.5" backspacing), don't use it! I just felt it is unfair to blame it all on the carrier if in this case there was no chance to utilize it properly. On the other hand TeraFlex should be more precise about the compatibility instead of claiming that it allows adjustment for up to 37" tires.

I agree......So Teraflex had a issue and they are addressing it. Good for them as long as they follow through. I will be buying one real soon. :rock:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Apparently, TeraFlex wouldn't agree with you as nobody there told my friend that he was doing anything wrong. If anything, even they themselves no longer believe in the reliability of their own tire mount and rather than give my friend grief like you're trying to do, they decided to send him an improved part. Go figure :idontknow:

Clearly, you're not TeraFlex as they make no mention of what they're trying to cover on their website or in their instructions and have even gone so far as to change the design of their bracket rather than blindly "believe" in it the way you have chosen to.

:cheesy: You really are quite the fanboy to make excuses for a company that they wouldn't even try to do. :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
question for WOL. can you tell me if the new gussets u saw are shown in this pic of the adjustable mount. i beleive they are welded at the bottom of the mount here. trying to verify if i have the updated version or not. thanks

View attachment 16806

The gussets are inside the other half and on the inside of the large tube. You can't see it from this pic.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ok. So they are in the piece that has the wheel studs? Glad they sent him a new one for now.

Yes, that is the part that is weak and will break. The gussets may help but in my opinion, not enough. You really need to prevent any jiggling and so far, TeraFlex is not coming out and saying this is a problem. I'm still kinda wondering why they're being do hush hush about all this especially being that they know they have a problem and one that can be a very dangerous one.

Top Bottom