TeraFlex Hinged Tire Carrier Break

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This makes me sad. You save up your hard earned money to buy a product that you believe is solid, and later come to find out that there is a design flaw. The biggest thing for me when buying any product (Jeep related or not) is Peace-of-Mind. Now I'll be checking this damn carrier on the daily. :mad:

I guess I'll have to hope and pray this carrier will hold up till I have enough money to buy a true and tested EVO carrier.

More than likely, it'll be fine but it wouldn't hurt to keep an eye on it. TeraFlex had a similar problem with their Monster Track Bar and it breaking all the time. They used to go around touting how it was made of solid steel and way stonger than anything else out there. And, while not everyone broke one, enough did that they were finally forced to redesign it.

Thanks for bringing this up. Since the other thread where I was told about this, I cut up a Daystar bump on the passenger side. I'm definitely concerned, and may run with no spare. View attachment 15791

So long as you have a isolator on both sides, I would think that would help quite a bit.

rtguy1

Yes, I saw this as well and the driver side was installed. Clearly, the one isolator alone WILL NOT prevent jiggling as the tire is still free to rock to the one side.

The tire carrier that broke was adjusted in as far as it could and the tire still didn't come close to making contact with the hinged carrier.

i see. i didn't consider the backspacing of the wheel preventing contact. my tire is tight against the carrier itself, but my wheels only have about 4.7" bs. the picture posted above also shows another spare adjusted to where the tire is not contacting the carrier. this will def lead to failure when put to the test by tough wheeling and daily abuse. i dont have my rig so i can provide photos of how my setup looks. hopefully i will be a little bit safer since i can adjust mine much tighter, as i have virtually no movement. i will readjust for maximum tightness when i get my rig back. thanks for the heads up on this flaw WOL :2thumbsup:. the magic 8 ball says a new evo carrier may be in my future:brows:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Even if you do everything right and there is no movement, a tailgate tire carrier is still a bad idea in my opinion. I have see way too many Jeeps catch the spare coming off a ledge or going up one and that either breaks the carrier and/or does significant damage to the tailgate. I have personally seen this happen on several JK's on this particular obstacle over the last 6 years.

This tire ended up breaking clean off the tire carrier...
main.php

The threat is real enough that a lot of people remove their spares before descended obstacles like White Knuckle Hill...
main.php

Of course, that's just my opinion based on what I have seen.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I'm no engineer either, and I didn't even stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but in my non-professional opinion, this sucks. Hopefully they work out a fix soon. 

Maybe we should next time. Might have better luck. :crazyeyes:

Even if you do everything right and there is no movement, a tailgate tire carrier is still a bad idea in my opinion. I have see way too many Jeeps catch the spare coming off a ledge or going up one and that either breaks the carrier and/or does significant damage to the tailgate. I have personally seen this happen on several JK's on this particular obstacle over the last 6 years.

This tire ended up breaking clean off the tire carrier...
main.php

That's my favorite part of that video. :cheesy:

The threat is real enough that a lot of people remove their spares before descended obstacles like White Knuckle Hill...
main.php

Of course, that's just my opinion based on what I have seen.

Is that baby Old Smokey?:thumb:

Moochie

Today is Smokey's birthday. It's sad that he is in the hospital but, it should be the start of a new life. Happy 5th birthday Smokey!!!

i have my tire mounted in the middle of its adjustment range. wonder if i should take it up a few inches.
2013-02-02155817.jpg

i dont want the weight to high and i also dont want to drag it everywhere.

OJK12

This is really great info Eddie! I'm not saying teraflex doesn't make some awesome products but people think they can do no wrong especially on the other forum. I hope they can resolve this problem quickly as I'm sure they will they seem to have good customer service but I really think that a redesign is in order and everyone who purchased one should get the new one to keep something like the tire coming off going down the road. That's just my opinion but I feel it's the right thing to do. I know I've also been behind vehicles that have lost a tire and it is terrifying, and when it hits something it destroys it! Words cannot express how dangerous something like this is. I'm glad to know you are not afraid to tell us like it is even if it will hurt the feelings of said fanboys, junk is junk no matter how many sparkles you cover it in.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This is really great info Eddie! I'm not saying teraflex doesn't make some awesome products but people think they can do no wrong especially on the other forum. I hope they can resolve this problem quickly as I'm sure they will they seem to have good customer service but I really think that a redesign is in order and everyone who purchased one should get the new one to keep something like the tire coming off going down the road. That's just my opinion but I feel it's the right thing to do. I know I've also been behind vehicles that have lost a tire and it is terrifying, and when it hits something it destroys it! Words cannot express how dangerous something like this is. I'm glad to know you are not afraid to tell us like it is even if it will hurt the feelings of said fanboys, junk is junk no matter how many sparkles you cover it in.

Well, I appreciate your support and willingness to see through the fanboy rhetoric. All I can say is that this really is a matter of safety for me and people can spin it however they want.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
I feel lost, not on Facebook. I can only imagine some a holes trash talking about this concern. I agree it's a valid concern and teraflex needs to address this issue.

One thing I always respected about Eddie is his willingness to give advice and opinions despite them not being popular. I like my information straight forward. Doesn't make too many friends but who gives a hoot?

Last edited:

gtony12

Caught the Bug
A tire coming off a vehicle can cause lots of damage ($18,000.00) or death. my :twocents:

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I feel lost, not on Facebook. I can only imagine some a holes trash talking about this concern. I agree it's a valid concern and teraflex needs to address this issue.

One thing I always respected about Eddie is his willingness to give advice and opinions despite them not being popular. I like my information straight forward. Doesn't make too many friends but who gives a hoot?

Thanks Frank, I'm not sure I'll ever really understand fanboys. I just posted up on FB about a letter I got from Chrysler regarding a safety TSB for fuel spitting out of the filler and how they are now saying they won't cover it because my Jeep is modified. I have to say that I'm a bit surprised that nobody has come out to accuse me of bashing Chrysler because they aren't a sponsor or something lame like that. :rolleyes2:

A tire coming off a vehicle can cause lots of damage ($18,000.00) or death. my :twocents:

Oh yeah, you of all people would know for sure what my concern is here.

TheDuff

Well, you got their attention on FB! Whether you wanted of or not, teraflex commented on it. Of course just to say its a rare case, but nonetheless.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

Gibbo

One thing I'd like to say before this thread dies is, thanks to teraflex and this thread my so called "shitybilt" tire carrier looks gold now:bored01:

Top Bottom