TeraFlex Hinged Tire Carrier Break

i really dont see that design holding up any better than the stock off road
2012-11-10140302.jpg

Serg5000

Hey evil guy (Eddie). Do us a favor. When you see things like this post your concerns please. I as many others appreciate the fact that things like this are brought up and shared among the wheeling community. In the bigger picture its about being safe and keeping people out of harms way. So please.........be evil if that's what it takes to keep friends and family safe.

Conman

I was looking at this tire carrier for a while and opted for the orfab with rotopax instead. Now I am happy I did. Granted its not the EVO but its strong as hell! Lots of people running it and very few problems that I have heard of so far.

MrHooah04

Looking close at the image. Looks like the steel failed not the weld. Lets hope they get a grip on this soon.

Definitely not a weld break..perhaps they should look at thicker steel at this weld point? Seems like the vertical movement of the tire caused too much strain on it

On a pos note I know teraflex has amazing customer support and would most likely replace this!

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Hey Eddie,

I appreciate the heads up and making it aware to people. I would hate for someones tire to fall off and seriously hurt or kill someone.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
How are you evil for being concerned with the safety of others or could cause damage to their rig? :thinking:

Just one word - FANBOYS. You put whatever it is they love in a bad light regardless of your intent and you're instantly evil with insincere motives. :rolleyes2:

if i was on facebook id stand behind you on this one. butttttttt. i dont face book. its evil:grayno:

LOL!! Indeed, FB is evil and if it weren't for business, I would NEVER spend anytime on it. Hell, I never spends anytime on it outside of our fan pages.

i really dont see that design holding up any better than the stock off road
2012-11-10140302.jpg

Agreed. But, at least the factory setup utilizes rubber isolators to help keep the spare from jiggling around. The TF one does not.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey evil guy (Eddie). Do us a favor. When you see things like this post your concerns please. I as many others appreciate the fact that things like this are brought up and shared among the wheeling community. In the bigger picture its about being safe and keeping people out of harms way. So please.........be evil if that's what it takes to keep friends and family safe.

Thanks Serg, I appreciate your understanding of things and for your support of what I did.

Oh boy, are the Facebook fucktards...I mean...fanboys out in force again? :banghead: :cheesy:

:cheesy: I see you've been following the thread :crazyeyes:

Definitely not a weld break..perhaps they should look at thicker steel at this weld point? Seems like the vertical movement of the tire caused too much strain on it

On a pos note I know teraflex has amazing customer support and would most likely replace this!

If you've ever looked at the design closely, you would see that there's really no support to prevent the spare from jiggling around. Just like bending a paper clip back and forth again and again will cause it to eventually fail, so is the case with this.

As far as customer service goes, oh yeah, I'm sure they get these things dime a dozen just like everything else they make and replacing it is a no brainer. My biggest concerns wasn't with warranty but how someone could have really gotten hurt. Great customer service won't keep a tire flying into the window of another car on the highway.

Hey Eddie,

I appreciate the heads up and making it aware to people. I would hate for someones tire to fall off and seriously hurt or kill someone.

You're welcome.

jelliott076

I know the TeraFlex Hinged Tire Carrier is a hot item right now but before you drop some serious coin for one, I just wanted to make sure you all know that this is something we saw happen to a brand new one last week...

View attachment 15761

Please note, this was holding a 37" Nitto Trail Grappler and according to TeraFlex, is within their recommended specifications. After closer examination, it is my opinion that the design of this tire carrier needs some serious improvements and hopefully before someone gets hurt. Please note, I am not trying to "bash" TeraFlex here, I just want to make sure you are aware of the potential problem. If you have one of these carriers installed on your Jeep, please be sure to keep an eye on this area just in case.

--This doesn't look like the weld failed, but that the steal cracked in front of the weld. I could be wrong

Thanks for posting this Eddie. Mine is in the box waiting to be installed. 37" Nitto TG's with Huchinson beadlocks, which are heavy...
:(

--Nice sounding set up.

Prime8

Looking close at the image. Looks like the steel failed not the weld. Lets hope they get a grip on this soon.

Good welds, when they fail, typically occur in one of the base metals, in the soft heat affected zone, not through the weld material itself. This is a symptom of over heating or poor materials selection. They could remedy the situation with heat treatment and tempering, but that adds a fair bit of cost.

NAUJK

Thanks for posting this up Eddie, I saw the facebook post that one guy was really goin at it for a while.

But I agree I dont know why people would defend this design either, I dont like it because, as people said it still on the tailgate, and for that price I could save a bit more for an LOD or the OR-Fab swing away which is my plan.

As for it falling off on a highway, I saw what could happen as a tire came off the axle at 50 miles an hour, would hate to see what would happen if a 37 fell off the back of a jeep and there was no response time for the car behind, it would prolly bounce and go right through their windshield which would be horrible.

Keep posting up warnings of failed equipment It helps to better the community.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for posting this up Eddie, I saw the facebook post that one guy was really goin at it for a while.

But I agree I dont know why people would defend this design either, I dont like it because, as people said it still on the tailgate, and for that price I could save a bit more for an LOD or the OR-Fab swing away which is my plan.

As for it falling off on a highway, I saw what could happen as a tire came off the axle at 50 miles an hour, would hate to see what would happen if a 37 fell off the back of a jeep and there was no response time for the car behind, it would prolly bounce and go right through their windshield which would be horrible.

Keep posting up warnings of failed equipment It helps to better the community.

I say this with all sincerety, my wife and I almost got hit by a renegade tire on the highway once doing 70. As luck would have it, the tire bounced and by sheer luck, I was just able to drive under it before it took out a Toyota Camary behind us. The distruction was phenominal - like it got hit by a bomb. This is the real deal and not something that needs to be fixed - not defended or excused.

JK12

I say this with all sincerety, my wife and I almost got hit by a renegade tire on the highway once doing 70. As luck would have it, the tire bounced and by sheer luck, I was just able to drive under it before it took out a Toyota Camary behind us. The distruction was phenominal - like it got hit by a bomb. This is the real deal and not something that needs to be fixed - not defended or excused.

Thanks Eddie! I was planning on buying this for a temporary Carrier for my 37" but im thinking i should just save up for the EVO carrier ive never heard of anything bad with those yet and they look badass!:thumb:
I say keep up with the product failure warning its a great help!

rtguy1

i have this carrier and am now disappointed with this failure. i appreciate this posting so i can keep an eye on it before something catastrophic occurs. however, i have seen several people running this and not have it proprely setup. i want to clarify that the adjustable mount does allow for the factory rubber isolator to be reused on the drivers side if it is modifed/cut, but not the passenger side. the tire should be snugged up against the actual hinged carrier on both sides and the rubber isolator on the left side to eliminate movement. this is the adjustable tire mount that failed in the photo, not the actual hinged piece. i could see a failure like this occurring if the installer failed to recognize the proper way to adjust this thing, and i have seen these things adjusted incorrectly. i have seen several posts asking for clarification on how it should be adjusted as well. not a fanboy or trying to defend it to the death, just my experience with the carrier and others that i have seen running it:twocents:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
i have this carrier and am now disappointed with this failure. i appreciate this posting so i can keep an eye on it before something catastrophic occurs. however, i have seen several people running this and not have it proprely setup. i want to clarify that the adjustable mount does allow for the factory rubber isolator to be reused on the drivers side if it is modifed/cut, but not the passenger side.

Yes, I saw this as well and the driver side was installed. Clearly, the one isolator alone WILL NOT prevent jiggling as the tire is still free to rock to the one side.

the tire should be snugged up against the actual hinged carrier on both sides and the rubber isolator on the left side to eliminate movement. this is the adjustable tire mount that failed in the photo, not the actual hinged piece. i could see a failure like this occurring if the installer failed to recognize the proper way to adjust this thing, and i have seen these things adjusted incorrectly. i have seen several posts asking for clarification on how it should be adjusted as well. not a fanboy or trying to defend it to the death, just my experience with the carrier and others that i have seen running it:twocents:

The tire carrier that broke was adjusted in as far as it could and the tire still didn't come close to making contact with the hinged carrier.

Charlie Mike

This makes me sad. You save up your hard earned money to buy a product that you believe is solid, and later come to find out that there is a design flaw. The biggest thing for me when buying any product (Jeep related or not) is Peace-of-Mind. Now I'll be checking this damn carrier on the daily. :mad:

I guess I'll have to hope and pray this carrier will hold up till I have enough money to buy a true and tested EVO carrier.

jkjurny

Thanks for bringing this up. Since the other thread where I was told about this, I cut up a Daystar bump on the passenger side. I'm definitely concerned, and may run with no spare. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1360823018.828940.jpg

Top Bottom