Teraflex Hinged Tire Carrier with adjustable tire mount

rtguy1

So, what is the consensus here? It seems as if the newer versions have been beefed up. Should those of us with the older versions proactively reach out to TF and see if they will do the right thing by us?

They shipped me the new piece for free after I contacted their rep on another forum.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Eddie, maybe you can answer the problem I am having. My spare appears to bounce when I drive down the road. I have 35' trail grapplers on stock 17's and day star bump stops. When I look at it while not driving it looks like the spare doesn't move at all but the tail gate itself actually bounces some. Could that be problematic?

You've got to remember that your tailgate is still separated from the body with a rubber like trim. The movement you are seeing is the tailgate compressing and pulling away from it. Over time, it can and will cause the latching of your door to change and may need adjustment in the future. Movement of any kind is never ideal but, installing a $400 beefed up set of hinges won't prevent this from happening.

So, what is the consensus here? It seems as if the newer versions have been beefed up. Should those of us with the older versions proactively reach out to TF and see if they will do the right thing by us?

It frustrates me to no end that when TF first found out about these breaks, their stance was to blame their customers for improperly installing them. When my friend's broke, they did send him out a new beefier version but then denied it publically. I'm glad that they've since admitted that they've made a poor initial design and are now making efforts to rectify it but, disappointed that they haven't gone the extra mile and issued a recall. When Quadratech had safety issues with their floor mats, they contacted everyone who bought a set and think TF should do the same. While I'm not convinced that the newer gusseted version will be enough to prevent breaks, I would definitely contact TF and have them send one out to you.

rtguy1

It frustrates me to no end that when TF first found out about these breaks, their stance was to blame their customers for improperly installing them. When my friends broke, they did send him out a new beefier version but then denied it publically. I'm glad that they've since admitted that they've made a poor initial design and are now making efforts to rectify it but, disappointed that they haven't gone the extra mile and issued a recall. When Quadratech had safety issues with their floor mats, they contacted everyone who bought a set and think TF should do the same. While I'm not convinced that the newer gusseted version will be enough to prevent breaks, I would definitely contact TF and have them send one out to you.

Agreed. I called and spoke with them and got denied a replacement. I was told they were only replacing the unit if it broke which is total bs. I then co planned about it on another forum that their rep frequents. I sent him a pm or two or three and finally ended up with the new version. Too much effort on my end IMO. They should have sent it out the first time I called, or even better, sent it without me calling and apologizing for the unsafe item I was sold.

They talk about two different tire sizes. Anyone have experience with this tire carrier?

not with the PSC, but my ExP OnE carrier is very soild! my ONLY complaints are that it is full width (working on that though) and their GERY can mount is only for their water can as they do not make a fuel can yet! you need to buy there rotoPax conversion and their cans. but other than that, it is pretty bulletproof!

andrew-

MTG

Caught the Bug
I would definitely contact TF and have them send one out to you.

I would definitely contact them in writing and keep a document of your polite request to replace their defective product. Then, when they deny the request, I would keep a copy of both in a safe place for if/when the worse case senario happens.

But that's just my :twocents:

It seems to me that it makes better business since to issue a recall for all kinds-a' reasons. First because it's the right thing to do. But additionally; now that they have admitted a design flaw/weakness, and have addressed it with a redesign they could be found liable for damage caused by others breaking and them failing to respond. There is no doubt that lost tires are deadly... so the financial implications should be the least of their concerns. My...:twocents:

sean.m.adams33

I had a Honda civic for my first car. Then when I was 20 a semi lost a wheel and my Honda found it. Totaled the car but I was lucky to walk away. Since most of us run bigger tires on our jeeps I think we owe it to those on the road or trail to not put their lives in any more danger than they already are on busy highways. I have the evo carrier because I like the design and look and overall function. Was close to getting the PSC carrier but evo beat it out. So I can't personally say anything bad about the TF hinge but I can say I'm not driving behind you.

rtguy1

That looks like its Rubicon ready..

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

LMAO! Hell yeah! We camped in big bear over the weekend and ran John Bull and dishpan as a warmup!

He has a front psc brawler lite, a warn Zeon 10s, a light bar, and some other goodies in route as I type. We will have that on in time for the trip as well

Last edited:

TheStick

I am still not sure I totally understand the design. Isn't the hinge portion designed to take the weight off the tailgate and transfer it to the stronger hinge?

Then I thought if I understand correctly you can use the hinge in combination with the stock carrier?

Never fully understood this thing but have been semi interested since in a perfect world I would like to keep the tire swing and the gate together and don't currently plan on going bigger than 35's.

Despite the apparent weakness in the carrier portion does the hinge effectively transfer the additional weight of a larger tire?

I am still not sure I totally understand the design. Isn't the hinge portion designed to take the weight off the tailgate and transfer it to the stronger hinge?

Then I thought if I understand correctly you can use the hinge in combination with the stock carrier?

Never fully understood this thing but have been semi interested since in a perfect world I would like to keep the tire swing and the gate together and don't currently plan on going bigger than 35's.

Despite the apparent weakness in the carrier portion does the hinge effectively transfer the additional weight of a larger tire?

You are correct. The stock carrier will work with the TF hinge (up to a 35). The new carrier allows for up/down and in/out adjustment. The problem is the new hinge and/or carrier removes the rubber bumps and allows the tire to wiggle. This wiggle causes the break. My guess is since the stock carrier is cast aluminium It would eventually fail too if the wiggle isn't stopped.

"Stop and Wiggle with it" ;) Sorry I had to :doh: It popped in my head while typing. :thankyou:

edit... Tried to add a link to video but... epic fail

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

For the $9 shy of $400, all you get is the new hinges. You still use the factory tire carrier which still attaches to your tailgate sheet metal. If you pay the $730, you get the additional adjustable tire carrier - this is where we've seen breaks occur.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, for those of you who are really wanting to go this route, here's an option that Hanson's had available since 2006, made of steel, made in the USA and is available complete for only $499. With the TeraFlex tire carrier, $400 will only get you the aluminum hinges. If you want the tire carrier as well, you need to fork out $730.

JKT2-P_medium.jpg

http://hansonoffroad.com/proddetail.php?prod=JKT2-P

bl17z90

You've got to remember that your tailgate is still separated from the body with a rubber like trim. The movement you are seeing is the tailgate compressing and pulling away from it. Over time, it can and will cause the latching of your door to change and may need adjustment in the future. Movement of any kind is never ideal but, installing a $400 beefed up set of hinges won't prevent this from happening.

Ok the movement was just a little unsettling but the way you described it makes sense. I had a guy recommend the teraflex carrier and I told him if I had 400 to spend right now I would fork the extra 600 for the carrier that I actually want.....LoD

Last edited:
Top Bottom