Teraflex rear tire carrier

aro

As you maybe know, a few other companies copied the TF design and made their own carrier, for about $200 less than the TF. Those are identical copies, with only a few visual changes. They install exactly the same way.

Being cheap and stupid, I ignored what I read about the TF carrier (and I include all the other carriers with identical design), and bought one of them for my 64 lbs tire with a stock 17" Rubicon wheel. It worked perfectly on the street, no rattle whatsoever. On Sunday I went off road for the first time, driving up towards Santiago Peak in Orange County. It's maybe a two hour climb, gaining about 3k - 4k feet. Nothing too difficult, but really bumpy. Halfway I started hearing once in a while a loud "BANG!" from the rear. Eventually I stopped, checked visually, pulled, pushed, kicked the spare... anything I could think off. Nothing... no noise, no movement.

I decided to put the spare in the back though. Not surprising, no more BANG!. When I got back on the pavement, I checked the carrier carefully. Nothing... it's not broken or cracked. I put the spare back on, and while it doesn't rattle, I now get the BANG driving a little faster over speed bumps. Needles to say, I'll get rid of it. Since the carrier itself seems to be in good shape, I'll put it on craigslist in good conscience.

In my case, I don't think the carrier itself failed. I believe the design is not that great for some applications, whether it's the TF carrier or one of the clones. Driving uphill for hours at a good pace over a very bumpy road will pull the tire not only downwards, but also away from the back of the Jeep (due to the steep incline). I have no clue if my theory is right, but it's irrelevant. The carrier doesn't perform well.

Anybody who has doubts is welcome to check out my setup before I get rid of it. You'll see that there is no fault with the installation.

MTG

Caught the Bug
As you maybe know, a few other companies copied the TF design and made their own carrier, for about $200 less than the TF. Those are identical copies, with only a few visual changes. They install exactly the same way.

In other words...a cheap Chinese knock-off of a...wait for it...cheap Chinese product. You know the end is nigh when the Chinese rip off the Chinese. LOL! :crazyeyes:

mdrums

Um, there is only 1 carrier that's offset, and that's the AEV carrier. The rest of the quality bumper carriers are dead center. The reason why you don't see other forums (and Im on most of them) talk about them is because the mods and members are crybabies when you bash a sh!t overpriced product. Its 700 for a useless un-necessary hinge, and then a sh!t steel replacement for the OEM magnesium carrier. It's a bad design, it's badly made, and the manufacturer doesn't stand behind the product. To top it all off, you can get BETTER carriers for the same or less money, which begs the question, why the fuck would anyone buy an overpriced carrier that people KNOW breaks?

Now it's time to take your medicine....if you google my username on this forum, or WF, or others, you'll see me bashing products that are ON my jeep....because I can admit when I wasted money on something, and that it was sh!t...and I didn't know any better. Go look up my screename on the AEV forums, and watch me tear them a new assh0le about their Pintler's cracking...and read my discussion with Dave (aev owner) that it's a casting defect and that he should buy the wheel back from the customer and take it up with their manufacturer. You had no clue, so went on the forums, and you found the most popular carrier, and you spent your money on it. THEN you learned the truth, and for you, it's a tough pill to swallow, that something you bought it a POS, it sucks, and is a liability. I mod my vehicles objectively, so when I made a mistake, I rectified with with better products. It doesn't make me feel any better justifying a sh!t part. You're going to learn the hard way that buying quality parts isn't about "hate"...but about function. We don't hate on other winches...we just know when you're alone with your wife and kids in the woods and your offbrand winch fails, you'll WISH you had a warn, and that you spend the extra $200. You'll appreciate the quality control arms that wont strand you half way up a colorado mountain during a lightning storm. For some of us, it's not about showing off, or being cool...it's about getting parts that will ensure that the vehicle will get you home.....but of course, as Eddie says, if you're a badass mall crawler, then these parts will be just fine, just make sure you keep an eye out on it unless you want to end up homeless after a lawsuit. The one thing you'll never be able to say is that you didn't know.

Ok this is a lot to read with out paragraphs but I got through most of it!

I'm not saying Teraflex is the best carrier..Im saying I didn't know about these issue and didn't know about this forum and all the bad Teraflex press on this forum.

By the way I do have a Warn..Zeon 10S...also have a decent lift in my Rock Krawler lift.

My next step is with aluminum fenders and to replace the Hard Rock 10/a bumpers which I'm liking less and less.

I saw today at my local shop a JCR bumper with bumper mounted true carreier that seem centered and stout.

Just wish I could get bumpers and side armor with out all these companies cut out logos on everything

Last edited:

mdrums

Thanks for the photo's and bringing this to my attention.

Funny how you hear the TRUTH here and that somehow equals "hate".

That's all I'd ever ask. Just in case and for the safety of others.

Reviews that you read on fanboy sites and from other guys who just spent $700 on a tire carrier. Don't know too many people who want to talk smack about something they just spent a good chunk of change on especially if it's known to be faulty.

attachment.php

View attachment 189501

View attachment 189502

View attachment 189503

View attachment 189504

View attachment 189505

View attachment 189506

View attachment 189507

Top Bottom