Teraflex rear tire carrier

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Well luckily i just got the spring and shock lift from them not their long arm kit so it should last me for when I go to college next year untill I get a job and can afford some of that evo greatness:)

Don't sweat it, dude. It will be fine.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I would trust the Smittybilt version of that tire carrier over the Teracrap one!! I go out of my way to not buy anything with their name on it.

I swore I saw a pic of someone looking at a Smittybilt and on the back they noticed a Teraflex stamp somewhere. I wish I could remember where I saw it.

mdrums

How is it hate to express concerns about a product that has shown itself to fail on more than one occasion and has the propensity to seriously injure or kill other people? I don't get it. :thinking:

I haven't heard of these Teraflex carrier failures until I read this forum. Out of all the other Jeep forums and Facebook pages this is the only forum that mentions failure of this rear tire carrier. Thats why I mention "hate"....you don't get it and I don't get it.

So any way... I will keep an eye on my carrier. I would like a bumper to frame mount carrier but they all seem to be offset to the passenger side. I bought the Teraflex because of good reviews I read and others experience locally I spoke with at Jeep meets.

Any photo's of these failed Teraflex carriers?...I'd like to see...like you said for the safety of your family.

WJCO

Meme King
I haven't heard of these Teraflex carrier failures until I read this forum. Out of all the other Jeep forums and Facebook pages this is the only forum that mentions failure of this rear tire carrier. Thats why I mention "hate"....you don't get it and I don't get it.

So any way... I will keep an eye on my carrier. I would like a bumper to frame mount carrier but they all seem to be offset to the passenger side. I bought the Teraflex because of good reviews I read and others experience locally I spoke with at Jeep meets.

Any photo's of these failed Teraflex carriers?...I'd like to see...like you said for the safety of your family.

Google works every time.

https://www.google.com/search?site=...5.0..2..0...1.1.64.img..2.20.1383.YmhjuD5YwQ4

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Funny how you hear the TRUTH here and that somehow equals "hate".

So any way... I will keep an eye on my carrier.

That's all I'd ever ask. Just in case and for the safety of others.

I bought the Teraflex because of good reviews I read and others experience locally I spoke with at Jeep meets.

Reviews that you read on fanboy sites and from other guys who just spent $700 on a tire carrier. Don't know too many people who want to talk smack about something they just spent a good chunk of change on especially if it's known to be faulty.

attachment.php

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1389824822_807070.jpg

IMG_9179.JPG

IMG_9180.JPG

TF-break-attachment.jpg

TF-break-attachment-02.jpg

TF-break-attachment-03.jpg

TF-break-attachment-04.jpg

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug

Reviews that you read on fanboy sites and from other guys who just spent $700 on a tire carrier. Don't know too many people who want to talk smack about something they just spent a good chunk of change on especially if it's known to be faulty.

attachment.php

View attachment 189501

View attachment 189502

View attachment 189503

View attachment 189504

View attachment 189505

View attachment 189506

View attachment 189507

Mdrum,

Any more questions or concerns that need addressing?

It is times like this that make me glad I am a member of wayalife. Straight talk, no bullshit, no hate, no sales talk, no hidden agendas. Apologizing now, which I think you should, would cool.

Ddays

Hooked

I had one of these carriers before I realized what the issues were. These "other" sites didn't mention any of the problems either. Why? I don't know the answer to that, but I believe that the collective experience of the guys on this site are hands down the best out there. If you are looking for straight-up no bullshit answers to questions this is the place to be. Sometimes the answers you receive aren't what you want to hear. Sometimes they can be painful. But before you get your hackles all up, do some more research on your own and you will find that the answers you get here are the best ones out there. Period. I have to say that I have NEVER seen anyone get bad advice here.

Maybe you've been on the other forums too long? :idontknow:

Sharkey

Word Ninja

Look at the photos Eddie posted. Pay close attention to the nature of the breaks and the tears. These are not photos of just a few random bad welds. These are photos of substandard steel on multiple products. If you dig a little deeper and perform some real research, you will see that Teraflex was quietly "fixing" some of the carriers by adding additional supports while at the same time publicly saying nothing was wrong with the product. What's worse...Teraflex was blaming the breaks on "installer error"! Even if I knew no other facts or history about Teraflex and its products, its response to the tire carrier situation would tell me all I need to know about the company.

How many stock carriers have you seen tear?

USMMA11NC

Caught the Bug
Look at the photos Eddie posted. Pay close attention to the nature of the breaks and the tears. These are not photos of just a few random bad welds. These are photos of substandard steel on multiple products. If you dig a little deeper and perform some real research, you will see that Teraflex was quietly "fixing" some of the carriers by adding additional supports while at the same time publicly saying nothing was wrong with the product. What's worse...Teraflex was blaming the breaks on "installer error"! Even if I knew no other facts or history about Teraflex and its products, its response to the tire carrier situation would tell me all I need to know about the company.

How many stock carriers have you seen tear?

Made in China with Chinese steel no surprise that they have quality issues. Hell, look at the Oakland Bay Bridge project. Chinese steel was used and it is behind schedule, over budget, and the steel doesn't meet the quality standards. Compare that with Levi Staduim which uses nearly (if not actually) 100% US manufactured steel and it finished ahead of schedule and under budget with high quality steel.

Buy American. :thumb:

barh

I made the mistake of going on a recommendation, terraflex lcg from a group & a friend also. THEY WERE WRONG. absolutely the WORST suspension I have ever had, period. Would not recommend any of their products. Workmanship is crap. Anyone not believe, come on over & I will point out the POOR DESIGN!

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I made the mistake of going on a recommendation, terraflex lcg from a group & a friend also. THEY WERE WRONG. absolutely the WORST suspension I have ever had, period. Would not recommend any of their products. Workmanship is crap. Anyone not believe, come on over & I will point out the POOR DESIGN!

I, for one, sincerely appreciate your honesty. Unfortunately, most people get so caught up in how much money they spent on their setups that they are reluctant to actually admit they made a bad choice.

JAGS

Hooked

I had one of these carriers before I realized what the issues were. These "other" sites didn't mention any of the problems either. Why? I don't know the answer to that, but I believe that the collective experience of the guys on this site are hands down the best out there. If you are looking for straight-up no bullshit answers to questions this is the place to be. Sometimes the answers you receive aren't what you want to hear. Sometimes they can be painful. But before you get your hackles all up, do some more research on your own and you will find that the answers you get here are the best ones out there. Period. I have to say that I have NEVER seen anyone get bad advice here.

Maybe you've been on the other forums too long? :idontknow:

And there you have it!! Can't sum things up too much better than this.

As for your comment d-days, TeraBreak is a huge sponsor for several other forums. After this all came out, I know on the forum Eddie used to own, the thread was quitted down by the supermods over there. Maybe same thing happened on others too?

CJW

I have a teraflex carrier and it's just as good as any other Chinese garbage I've bought. It's held the tire without breaking (yet) but the tire does have more movement than before. Every so often I have to slide the adjustment in. It hasn't slid or vibrated out but instead the main support (piece that looks like the stock carrier) is actually bending. I'll also add that the hinge is wearing very poorly. I've disassembled it a couple times to clean and lubricate but the contact points are wearing out and creating slop. It was only after my purchase that I started hearing of the breaks. Mine hasn't had a failure that bad but it certainly seems to be headed in that direction. If it were me knowing what I know now from this forum I wouldn't buy this carrier. Just seeing what mine has done would change my mind. I just don't see why you'd risk using this equipment if you see that it has failed for multiple people and there are superior products out there for equal or not much more money. I just don't understand why you'd risk wasting a good chunk of your money or safety like that.

WJCO

Meme King
I have a teraflex carrier and it's just as good as any other Chinese garbage I've bought. It's held the tire without breaking (yet) but the tire does have more movement than before. Every so often I have to slide the adjustment in. It hasn't slid or vibrated out but instead the main support (piece that looks like the stock carrier) is actually bending. I'll also add that the hinge is wearing very poorly. I've disassembled it a couple times to clean and lubricate but the contact points are wearing out and creating slop. It was only after my purchase that I started hearing of the breaks. Mine hasn't had a failure that bad but it certainly seems to be headed in that direction. If it were me knowing what I know now from this forum I wouldn't buy this carrier. Just seeing what mine has done would change my mind. I just don't see why you'd risk using this equipment if you see that it has failed for multiple people and there are superior products out there for equal or not much more money. I just don't understand why you'd risk wasting a good chunk of your money or safety like that.

I would definitely keep an eye on that or any carrier for that matter. If the tire is moving around/vibrating, eventually something will give.

CJW

I would definitely keep an eye on that or any carrier for that matter. If the tire is moving around/vibrating, eventually something will give.

Which is why a new one will be ordered within the month [emoji106]

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug

Um, there is only 1 carrier that's offset, and that's the AEV carrier. The rest of the quality bumper carriers are dead center. The reason why you don't see other forums (and Im on most of them) talk about them is because the mods and members are crybabies when you bash a sh!t overpriced product. Its 700 for a useless un-necessary hinge, and then a sh!t steel replacement for the OEM magnesium carrier. It's a bad design, it's badly made, and the manufacturer doesn't stand behind the product. To top it all off, you can get BETTER carriers for the same or less money, which begs the question, why the fuck would anyone buy an overpriced carrier that people KNOW breaks?

Now it's time to take your medicine....if you google my username on this forum, or WF, or others, you'll see me bashing products that are ON my jeep....because I can admit when I wasted money on something, and that it was sh!t...and I didn't know any better. Go look up my screename on the AEV forums, and watch me tear them a new assh0le about their Pintler's cracking...and read my discussion with Dave (aev owner) that it's a casting defect and that he should buy the wheel back from the customer and take it up with their manufacturer. You had no clue, so went on the forums, and you found the most popular carrier, and you spent your money on it. THEN you learned the truth, and for you, it's a tough pill to swallow, that something you bought it a POS, it sucks, and is a liability. I mod my vehicles objectively, so when I made a mistake, I rectified with with better products. It doesn't make me feel any better justifying a sh!t part. You're going to learn the hard way that buying quality parts isn't about "hate"...but about function. We don't hate on other winches...we just know when you're alone with your wife and kids in the woods and your offbrand winch fails, you'll WISH you had a warn, and that you spend the extra $200. You'll appreciate the quality control arms that wont strand you half way up a colorado mountain during a lightning storm. For some of us, it's not about showing off, or being cool...it's about getting parts that will ensure that the vehicle will get you home.....but of course, as Eddie says, if you're a badass mall crawler, then these parts will be just fine, just make sure you keep an eye out on it unless you want to end up homeless after a lawsuit. The one thing you'll never be able to say is that you didn't know.

Last edited:
Um, there is only 1 carrier that's offset, and that's the AEV carrier. The rest of the quality bumper carriers are dead center. The reason why you don't see other forums (and Im on most of them) talk about them is because the mods and members are crybabies when you bash a sh!t overpriced product. Its 700 for a useless un-necessary hinge, and then a sh!t steel replacement for the OEM magnesium carrier. It's a bad design, it's badly made, and the manufacturer doesn't stand behind the product. To top it all off, you can get BETTER carriers for the same or less money, which begs the question, why the fuck would anyone buy an overpriced carrier that people KNOW breaks?

Now it's time to take your medicine....if you google my username on this forum, or WF, or others, you'll see me bashing products that are ON my jeep....because I can admit when I wasted money on something, and that it was sh!t...and I didn't know any better. Go look up my screename on the AEV forums, and watch me tear them a new assh0le about their Pintler's cracking...and read my discussion with Dave (aev owner) that it's a casting defect and that he should buy the wheel back from the customer and take it up with their manufacturer. You had no clue, so went on the forums, and you found the most popular carrier, and you spent your money on it. THEN you learned the truth, and for you, it's a tough pill to swallow, that something you bought it a POS, it sucks, and is a liability. I mod my vehicles objectively, so when I made a mistake, I rectified with with better products. It doesn't make me feel any better justifying a sh!t part. You're going to learn the hard way that buying quality parts isn't about "hate"...but about function. We don't hate on other winches...we just know when you're alone with your wife and kids in the woods and your offbrand winch fails, you'll WISH you had a warn, and that you spend the extra $200. You'll appreciate the quality control arms that wont strand you half way up a colorado mountain during a lightning storm. For some of us, it's not about showing off, or being cool...it's about getting parts that will ensure that the vehicle will get you home.....but of course, as Eddie says, if you're a badass mall crawler, then these parts will be just fine, just make sure you keep an eye out on it unless you want to end up homeless after a lawsuit. The one thing you'll never be able to say is that you didn't know.
***slow clap***

Top Bottom