TEXAS: Locations & Wheeling Destinations Thread

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Awesome thread, wiggles! Big Bend is on my short list for sooner than later trips.

Let's plan a trip! Having never been there before, I would also be interested in spending a little bit of time out of the jeep hiking & climbing as well. :thumb:

I'm watching YouTube on Trees Ranch right now... everyone will definately need lockers, sliders, and 35s at a minimum! Not to mention, carrying spare axle shafts may not be a bad idea... :thumb: they have some sick, unforgiving terrain for sure!

Lol yea it definitely looks rough at parts. On their webpage they say they have trails for 31 and stock, 33 and slight mods, 35s and one locker, 37s and both lockers and 40s with all the fixings. I think we could plan a modest day of wheeling based on everyone's capabilities.

Napalm

I'm watching YouTube on Trees Ranch right now... everyone will definately need lockers, sliders, and 35s at a minimum! Not to mention, carrying spare axle shafts may not be a bad idea... :thumb: they have some sick, unforgiving terrain for sure!

Lol yea it definitely looks rough at parts. On their webpage they say they have trails for 31 and stock, 33 and slight mods, 35s and one locker, 37s and both lockers and 40s with all the fixings. I think we could plan a modest day of wheeling based on everyone's capabilities.

You guys just say the word and I'm down. I'd be happy to lead a beginner/stock/32" inch tires group. This is real close to my house.

Overland_stormtrooper

Caught the Bug
high water mark route doesn't look to bad either maybe pair it up with the k trail , start out on the k trail run it in 2-3 days then over to high water mark to fill out the week making it up around 400 miles total between the 2

Jackal01

Let's plan a trip! Having never been there before, I would also be interested in spending a little bit of time out of the jeep hiking & climbing as well. :thumb:

A FD brother has been out there several times. I may invite him. He always talks about doing Black Gap. I'm interested in a November or December trip at this point.

A FD brother has been out there several times. I may invite him. He always talks about doing Black Gap. I'm interested in a November or December trip at this point.

I'm down for December. Let's just bundle up! It will be cold at night. I grabbed the below from a national weather site for big bend.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1471995824.802606.jpg

Overland_stormtrooper

Caught the Bug
I'm down for December. Let's just bundle up! It will be cold at night. I grabbed the below from a national weather site for big bend.
View attachment 219176

like I said mid may through mid sept the warmer months wouldn't be so bad but the cloud cover is pretty much non existent so while not as hot some places its still best a trip for cooler months .... would love to go but vacations for this year are all in so I'm limited to days off and my weekends off only come around once a month as my off time rotates weekly

Overland_stormtrooper

Caught the Bug
This looks like a BEAUTIFUL spring or fall run judging by the scenery!! :thumb:

am gonna plan this one up for mid march possibly with a jaunt to the Ozark high water mark route tossed in on the back side of the week , hate to schedule it all out by day cause you never know what each will bring once out there , looks like a fair amount of side trails running off k trail so It might fill the week up by itself

Jegar

TEXAS: Locations & Wheeling Destinations Thread

Who could forget the famous Wayalife HF Run!
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1471996064.872846.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1471996088.334817.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1471996124.273226.jpg

Wolf Caves is my all time favorite, so far, in TX!
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1471996171.925379.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1471996214.177325.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1471996235.479932.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1471996257.546077.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1471996285.746242.jpg

Trees is also very fun (very tough, though, if the ground is even a little slick -- the terrain throws the Jeep off course very quickly, catapulting the Jeep into the strategically placed trees[emoji33])
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1471996420.319891.jpg

Stillwaters Ranch is also fun....
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1471996491.305970.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1471996505.694326.jpg

No pictures of Canyons or Katemcy Rocks/K2 -- loved K2, Canyons not so much.

Maob: Yes, please!!!!! Any day!
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1471996630.053610.jpg

Last edited:

The Kraken

I've been to Hidden Falls so far, I want to make a Big Bend trip for sure and been wanting to try out Wolf Caves but need to armor up the Jeep a little more before I try Wolf Caves out. Subscribed to this thread, great idea!

Texas Nick

Caught the Bug
Great idea making the thread Dave.
Also, nice pictures of the places youve been Jegar!
I must say Escondido is on top of the list for my favorite/ hardest places ive wheeled thus far.

dwvninety

Big Bend has some good trails but the time of year Dec-Jan is very cold and what makes it worse is the high winds. The Kiamichi trail is nice. 1st part is the coolest as there are some obstacles, 2nd part is a few deep water crossings and 3 part is a gravel road that leads to Mena, AR. If you like pinstriping on your Jeep the K Trail will definitely do it. The metal spikes the locals planted in the water crossing is gone after it punctured 3 of my tires.

Overland_stormtrooper

Caught the Bug
good to know info on the k trail ... don't mind the pinstriping got that when I was off in Gila N.F. back in June...
as for B.B. been there a few times in the spring months ..late February was prolly the best nights down in the 30s while days were mid 70s lower 80s winds died down overnight so wasn't to bad

Jegar

Big Bend has some good trails but the time of year Dec-Jan is very cold and what makes it worse is the high winds. The Kiamichi trail is nice. 1st part is the coolest as there are some obstacles, 2nd part is a few deep water crossings and 3 part is a gravel road that leads to Mena, AR. If you like pinstriping on your Jeep the K Trail will definitely do it. The metal spikes the locals planted in the water crossing is gone after it punctured 3 of my tires.

Ouch![emoji33] I remember reading a write up that recommended two full spares -- now I can see where that came from.

Big Bend is would be an amazing trip.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Been watching a few videos on big bend, definately looks more "beginner friendly" than a lot of the other places. We should plan a trip. Anyone ever been before care to host a run thread?

The Kraken

I've never been but I have a friend that went and I think he made tracks with his GPS. I'd like to make a trip there, I think it'd be great scenery out there!

Top Bottom