The 2017 Great Texas Exodus!

Ed, totally open to your advice here as a father and someone who has run these trails. Please speak freely and PLEASE, tell me if you think this a terrible idea. Plenty of trails in Moab so I'm happy to switch them out for something else.

Whole group is running Top of the World the first day in the afternoon so we should be with the group for that one. If that helps.

Well, first off...I have a very different comfort level for risk to myself than with very young children...that's just me. I have no problems heading out into 6-8 foot seas and 20-25 knot winds if 150 lb ahi are on the bite...but I'm not taking a 6 month old baby with me...I wouldn't even take a 12 yo kid.

As far as off roading is concerned, every time I prep my rig for the trail, I'm prepared to either spend the night on the trail, or make a long walk out. I was under the impression that you were going to run all of these trails with just your rig and no one else...and running trails for the very first time...with a 6 month old baby and a 2.5 yo toddler...for me personally, this would be beyond my comfort level to risk exposure.

Top of the World is not that difficult; there is only one obstacle that I would consider challenging...and if your running it with a group, you should be fine

Fins is the easiest of the trails you picked, and should not be difficult...there is one short, steep descent that you need to pay attention to.

While there are bypasses on most of the difficult obstacles on Hells Revenge, including Tip Over (although I don't know where it is, I've never taken any of the bypasses), it's still a trail that requires some focus...ditto Poison Spider...

You've seen experienced wheelers flop on obstacles that weren't overly challenging on this forum...it happens. You have to ask yourself if you are okay to do that with your baby in the rig...

I took my wife to EJS last April for her first time...and she is a chicken...I took her to Secret Spire & Cameo Cliffs...it was more than enough for her...I even turned down running some trails with Eddie & Cindy so I could take her...I knew where they were going, it was beyond her comfort level...even though I really wished I could join them

Food for thought...

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

So here is the itinerary we're thinking of doing (subject to change). Obviously I hope it overlaps with the group as much as possible, but it'll be me, my wife, our 2.5 year old and our 6 month old, so we roll a little differently.

Main changes:
-maybe hitting the trails a little later in the morning (not sure what group has in mind)
-not running Cliff Hanger (more than I want to bite off with kids in the Jeep and my current skill level)
-hiking Delicate Arch (while group runs Cliff Hanger)

Anyone welcome to hop on the "kid-friendly-itinerary" :)

Friday
9am: leave the house
12pm: stop for lunch
1pm: start driving again
4pm: arrive in Ouray and check in
5pm: drive over to meet up with friends, eat dinner
8pm: go to bed

Saturday
630am: wake up
730am: wake up kids
830am: head out, run Black Bear
12pm: lunch in Telluride
1pm: head out of Telluride, run Imogene Pass
6pm: arrive back in Ouray, eat dinner

Sunday
830am: head out, run Engineer Pass
1230pm: lunch in Lake City
130pm: head out, run Cinnamon Pass to California Pass
6pm: arrive back in Ouray, eat dinner

Monday
7am: wake up
8am: wake up kids
9am: head out, drive to Moab
12pm: arrive in Moab, check in
1pm: eat lunch in Moab
2pm: head out, run Top of the World
6pm: arrive back in Moab, eat dinner

Tuesday
830am: head out, run Fins n Things
12pm: lunch on trail
1pm: run Hells Revenge
5pm: back in Moab, eat dinner

Wednesday
830am: head out, hike the Delicate Arch while group runs Cliff Hanger
12pm: lunch in Moab
1pm: meet up with group, run Poison Spider Mesa
5pm: back in Moab, eat dinner

Thursday
730am: wake up
830am: wake up kids
10am: check out
12pm: stop for lunch in Grand Junction
1pm: keep driving
5pm: arrive home

Have you made a trip with this kind of schedule with any kids in the past? Even for most adults it's a pretty aggressive schedule.

Top of the World, Fins n Things, are nice easy trails- Hells revenge and Poison Spider have enough bypasses for the most part but there are a few spots that as long as you're with a group and good spotters you should be fine.

You might rethink Posion Spyder with such young kids.

When my daughter was younger and used to make the trips with me, I always made sure we took a day in between runs to let her play (swim) or just hangout and lay around, all that early morning and all day on the trail jarring from wheeling will wear most people out.

When I took my younger brother and his gf, they were worn out after day 3 of the early mornings and all day trails lol - again a lot of jarring they just weren't used to.

Personally, I wouldn't take a 6mo or 2yo on the trails on so many consecutive days. their little bodies and noggins will be getting bounced around quite a bit.

Even with good car seat that offers enough bolstering to support the back, neck that's a lot of time in the seat for a kid.

Kids don't like being stuck in a car seat that long - once you get them out it can be like trying to put the genie back in the bottle lol

Be prepared for the trails to take longer than what you expect and watch the weather because a storm, even a small one, changes everything.

You'll get a better feel after you take the 1st trail. As long as you are flexible you'll be fine.

Hope you're on the all trails with a group - not a place you want to have jeep issues with kids on board.

Last edited:
Have you made a trip with this kind of schedule with any kids in the past? Even for most adults it's a pretty aggressive schedule.

Top of the World, Fins n Things, are nice easy trails- Hells revenge and Poison Spider have enough bypasses for the most part but there are a few spots that as long as you're with a group and good spotters you should be fine.

You might rethink Posion Spyder with such young kids.

When my daughter was younger and used to make the trips with me, I always made sure we took a day in between runs to let her play (swim) or just hangout and lay around, all that early morning and all day on the trail jarring from wheeling will wear most people out.

When I took my younger brother and his gf, they were worn out after day 3 of the early mornings and all day trails lol - again a lot of jarring they just weren't used to.

Personally, I wouldn't take a 6mo or 2yo on the trails on so many consecutive days. their little bodies and noggins will be getting bounced around quite a bit.

Even with good car seat that offers enough bolstering to support the back, neck that's a lot of time in the seat for a kid.

Kids don't like being stuck in a car seat that long - once you get them out it can be like trying to put the genie back in the bottle lol

Be prepared for the trails to take longer than what you expect and watch the weather because a storm, even a small one, changes everything.

You'll get a better feel after you take the 1st trail. As long as you are flexible you'll be fine.

Hope you're on the all trails with a group - not a place you want to have issues with kids.

Roger that...

20170921_155902%7E2.jpg

Checked in at Ouray. See y'all tomorrow! There are 9 reservations under "wayalife", 4 or 5 in my immediate area. The others are scattered.

For those that can make it, there will be a drivers meeting at 3pm tomorrow to get everyone acquainted and to discuss possible changes to the itinerary due to weather.

At the Ouray KOA

Last edited:
Top Bottom