The Birth of Cookie Monster (aka Cymbol Monkey)

So I’ve finally gotten a chance to start going over the Jeep following our trip. First up was taking a look to see if I could find what happened while we were on Billings Canyon. I was making a climb and heard a loud pop from the rear end. Gave us pause as it Cleary sounded like an axle shaft but that seemed highly unlikely considering my build and that being far from the weakest link. Was definitely a three wheel bandit following that. However about half an obstacle later rear was locked and working “fine”. Lasted the remainder of that trail but apparently the rear stopped locking again while playing on Poughkeepsie. Opened up the diff this weekend and was optimistic when initially didn’t see anything.

Attachments

• 88B59886-AE9F-41D4-A18F-266BFF618F99.jpeg
    88B59886-AE9F-41D4-A18F-266BFF618F99.jpeg
    140.5 KB · Views: 83
Started cycling the locker and initially it was t engaging. After messing about and switch solenoids it started working (not as a result of the solenoid). Finally gave up and started cleaning up and that’s when I started finding goodies.

Those are all metal flames and chunks in the pan too.

Attachments

• 7BCC6BEA-ED82-4B52-B4B8-A2CB5B6F3723.jpeg
    7BCC6BEA-ED82-4B52-B4B8-A2CB5B6F3723.jpeg
    92.5 KB · Views: 82
  • 075D52FC-A570-40B5-BE5E-ED492DEDAE7B.jpeg
    075D52FC-A570-40B5-BE5E-ED492DEDAE7B.jpeg
    86 KB · Views: 81
  • 21AFEF14-3B80-400E-AF54-C8C4623771C7.jpeg
    21AFEF14-3B80-400E-AF54-C8C4623771C7.jpeg
    152.7 KB · Views: 73
After giving up hope there decided it was time to try and get this thing leveled out too. Ever since installing the coilovers, my front passenger has been drooping horribly. I spent the better part of 4 hours adjusting preloads all around and still can’t get this damn thing to level out. I’m down at 1” preload front and rear driver side which is as low
as I can go to keep the springs in tact but the passenger is at 2 5/8 front and rear. I’m still drooping. I can’t figure it out for the life of me. I’m already 250/300 all the way around. It’s not like my Jeep is that heavy

While swapping and adjusting I did find that the stupid battery tray is eating my reservoir lines but they are holding pressure fine. Time for a genesis tray.

Attachments

• 29D96B6F-4EF6-4580-B9B6-C768E39BB107.jpeg
    29D96B6F-4EF6-4580-B9B6-C768E39BB107.jpeg
    98.4 KB · Views: 72
  • A558078B-82C3-4298-A2FA-340367089809.jpeg
    A558078B-82C3-4298-A2FA-340367089809.jpeg
    93.5 KB · Views: 71
After giving up hope there decided it was time to try and get this thing leveled out too. Ever since installing the coilovers, my front passenger has been drooping horribly. I spent the better part of 4 hours adjusting preloads all around and still can’t get this damn thing to level out. I’m down at 1” preload front and rear driver side which is as low
as I can go to keep the springs in tact but the passenger is at 2 5/8 front and rear. I’m still drooping. I can’t figure it out for the life of me. I’m already 250/300 all the way around. It’s not like my Jeep is that heavy

Are you making the adjustments with your sway bar disconnected?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Have you switched coils?

Sent from my SM-G986U using WAYALIFE mobile app

While swapping and adjusting I did find that the stupid battery tray is eating my reservoir lines but they are holding pressure fine. Time for a genesis tray.

Another option is to have longer hose made for the CO res and use Accutune weld on holders. The hoses are cheap and a lot of the NAPA stores will make them. We did this on mine & wrapped heat shield on the hoses.
I happen to know a guy that ended up with an extra set of the brackets somehow. Say the word and they're yours....

20200824_082533_resized.jpg

Another option is to have longer hose made for the CO res and use Accutune weld on holders. The hoses are cheap and a lot of the NAPA stores will make them. We did this on mine & wrapped heat shield on the hoses.
I happen to know a guy that ended up with an extra set of the brackets somehow. Say the word and they're yours....

View attachment 352351

Let me know what you want for them.

Sucks you can’t get that front droop figured out. Did you try adjusting the rear upper control arms like Byron was talking about?

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Sucks you can’t get that front droop figured out. Did you try adjusting the rear upper control arms like Byron was talking about?

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Yeah. I spent the better part of a day adjusting preloads. Unloading upper arms front and rear. Nada. Can’t figure it out. Chatted with my shop today and he was scratching his head. Only thing I haven’t done was play with the lower arms. Possibly one of them is binding it up.

Yeah. I spent the better part of a day adjusting preloads. Unloading upper arms front and rear. Nada. Can’t figure it out. Chatted with my shop today and he was scratching his head. Only thing I haven’t done was play with the lower arms. Possibly one of them is binding it up.

It’s weird.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

That would really be driving me insane, I hope you get it figured out Jeff.

Sent from my SM-S506DL using WAYALIFE mobile app

Have you tried over preloading the droopy side to see if you can level it at all?

Mine did something similar we I bent the shock shaft. Maybe its a internal issue and binding. Have you cycled the shock by hand without coils?

Last edited:
Have you tried over preloading the droopy side to see if you can level it at all?

Mine did something similar we I bent the shock shaft. Maybe its a internal issue and binding. Have you cycled the shock by hand without coils?

That’s a great call. I’ve confirmed by hand the shock moves and I can push it in but never fully cycled by hand. Hmmmmmm.

With regards to overload, yes. I put 300/300 on that side and he stood right up. Needed to adjust the preload but they would have been fine.

Just went through your full build thread and it looks awesome. Looking at build like this tends to keep me more motivated to do more on mine.

On the rear diff is it gears that are eating each other or is it the arb?

Just went through your full build thread and it looks awesome. Looking at build like this tends to keep me more motivated to do more on mine.

On the rear diff is it gears that are eating each other or is it the arb?

Not the gears. That I can see. It’s either the ARB has a failure or its remnants from the casting that are affecting the ARB. I swapped the fluids, brought some metal into my shop and they really were scratching their heads. Basically said run it till the problem is readily repeatable.

Top Bottom