The Build and Adventures of Bearbait

Unplug the harness to the ac compressor to stop it from cycling and engaging if you don’t want to listen to it before you fix it

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Jsouder53

Hooked
On many vehicles, a/c comes on in defrost mode because the AC removes humidity from the air which is ideal for defrost. Even with temp knob on heat and defrost, the AC system is still removing humidity.

I would imagine that you can get the clutch separately if that's what the noise is.

That’s interesting... I’ll have to run by Napa and see if they have the clutch, the ac system hasn’t worked in this truck for a while. I only use it as heat. The ac doesn’t hold a charge.

WJCO

Meme King
That’s interesting... I’ll have to run by Napa and see if they have the clutch, the ac system hasn’t worked in this truck for a while. I only use it as heat. The ac doesn’t hold a charge.

First site that came up on Google shows it available separate from the compressor, so you should be able to find it somewhere.

IMG_20190915_193151_931.jpg

sipafz

Caught the Bug
I don’t understand why it would be engaging since the switch is off [emoji848] There is a high pitch rattling noise prior to it kicking on, then the loud wobbling/rattling noise after the 15sec point.

It’s this pulley
View attachment 334750

Sounds like a bad ac clutch bearing. The wobbling/rattling noise after the cutch engages is probably normal since your system isn’t charged. I’ve heard that noise before on dead systems.

Jsouder53

Hooked
Sounds like a bad ac clutch bearing. The wobbling/rattling noise after the cutch engages is probably normal since your system isn’t charged. I’ve heard that noise before on dead systems.

Awesome! Thanks! Gives me somewhere to start

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Did some work on my truck today, bypassed the ac clutch pulley with the serpentine belt and no more noise.

That’s nice that you can do that! Now you can remove the compressor and swap the clutch on the bench. I wish that would work on our Jeeps! My compressor is froze and I would like to take a shot at rebuilding, but it’s not in the cards since it’s my daily driver.

Jsouder53

Hooked
That’s nice that you can do that! Now you can remove the compressor and swap the clutch on the bench. I wish that would work on our Jeeps! My compressor is froze and I would like to take a shot at rebuilding, but it’s not in the cards since it’s my daily driver.

I’m not too worried about having ac in the truck lol I would honestly only use it about 2 months out of the year, even then having the windows down works just as good. The only problem I foresee is the defrost not working as good as it should.

Glad to hear it worked out.

Thanks! I’m certainly glad it worked out the way it did. After getting the belt off, I noticed how wobbly the ac clutch pulley really was. Then found a quick video on bypassing that pulley. Such a quick and easy fix.

Jsouder53

Hooked
Adjustments.jpg

Reinstalled the roof rack in prep for ski season [emoji106]

Edit: needs 37s, wife says so too

Last edited:

wjtstudios

Hooked
Too early for the snow, but I like the idea of 37s!

I apologize on not getting those spacers out. I’ll try to get them out this week

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Jsouder53

Hooked
Too early for the snow, but I like the idea of 37s!

I apologize on not getting those spacers out. I’ll try to get them out this week

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

It is quite the storm for this early in October lol it’ll be mud by the weekend. Saw 2 people spin out this morning on my way to work and a 2 rollovers.

And not a problem about the spacers, I’m in no rush. Thank you again!

Top Bottom