The Build and Adventures of Bearbait

Jsouder53

Hooked
Attempted another roadside rescue today, but this time a pro had to come take over. A Toyota Tundra spun a 180 off of highway 191 near Big Sky. It’s been snowing all day so the roads were nice and slick, so I hooked up to a truck behind me to keep me from sliding. I really didn’t have the proper angle since the cops didn’t want me blocking more of the road than I already was... sadly, in the end I couldn’t get this guy out

Ddays

Hooked
Attempted another roadside rescue today, but this time a pro had to come take over. A Toyota Tundra spun a 180 off of highway 191 near Big Sky. It’s been snowing all day so the roads were nice and slick, so I hooked up to a truck behind me to keep me from sliding. I really didn’t have the proper angle since the cops didn’t want me blocking more of the road than I already was... sadly, in the end I couldn’t get this guy out

Some people just can't be saved :grayno:

wjtstudios

Hooked
At least you tried and that’s the important thing. 99.99% of people would just drive by and not even care.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

jdofmemi

Good on you to try.

One thing I do is carry my knock off traction boards in winter. If I have to winch someone, I put the front tires on them to keep from sliding as easy.

It's tough when you can't get a good angle though.

At least you tried and that’s the important thing. 99.99% of people would just drive by and not even care.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Side of an active highway with police already on scene? Hell yeah I’d keep going. It’s a Jeep not a wrecker. Plus liability issues if you damage their vehicle. Not worth the headache, people suck these days. Tow truck drivers also get killed every day.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
Side of an active highway with police already on scene? Hell yeah I’d keep going. It’s a Jeep not a wrecker. Plus liability issues if you damage their vehicle. Not worth the headache, people suck these days. Tow truck drivers also get killed every day.

Agreed, if it was a friend that’s another story, but honestly I would keep going if the police were already there. I’ve given a guy a ride to work that was stuck in the snow so he wouldn’t be late, but there was no way I was going to pull his car out. Too much of a liability.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

fiend

Caught the Bug

A voice of reason. I’m surprised the LEO would even let a privateer get involved in something like this.

Now, I will say that I helped pull a guy out of a snow bank out in a remote desert area one time. He insisted on giving me $300 for the help, despite my telling him I was happy to help for nothing. Bought a nice dinner for me and some friends that night.

wjtstudios

Hooked

I agree if it’s unsafe, especially on the highway, but if I can help I usually do. I mostly use my MaxTrax to get people out verses my winch. Especially with cars today with no viable tow points. Most of the time, a little push is all they need and I can have them on their way in a couple minutes. It’ll make their day a little better.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

wjtstudios

Hooked
A voice of reason. I’m surprised the LEO would even let a privateer get involved in something like this.

Now, I will say that I helped pull a guy out of a snow bank out in a remote desert area one time. He insisted on giving me $300 for the help, despite my telling him I was happy to help for nothing. Bought a nice dinner for me and some friends that night.

I know that at least here in Michigan, LEO has the discretion to allow it or stop you. Usually, if I show them what I want to do they are on board and usually out of their car watch the scene to make sure everyone is safe.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

jdofmemi

A lot of this comes down to where you are located. In a mostly urban setting, not much help is coming outside of official channels, but rural folks are a lot more likely to help each other out.

Jsouder53

Hooked

Agreed, if it was a friend that’s another story, but honestly I would keep going if the police were already there. I’ve given a guy a ride to work that was stuck in the snow so he wouldn’t be late, but there was no way I was going to pull his car out. Too much of a liability.

I was there and hooked up before the police arrived. They showed up and asked how’s it going, then started directing traffic. 5 minutes later I realized it wasn’t coming out without a wrecker.

I agree if it’s unsafe, especially on the highway, but if I can help I usually do. I mostly use my MaxTrax to get people out verses my winch. Especially with cars today with no viable tow points. Most of the time, a little push is all they need and I can have them on their way in a couple minutes. It’ll make their day a little better.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

The MaxTrax might have helped. Might have to look into a set.

wjtstudios

Hooked
I was there and hooked up before the police arrived. They showed up and asked how’s it going, then started directing traffic. 5 minutes later I realized it wasn’t coming out without a wrecker.

The MaxTrax might have helped. Might have to look into a set.

For snow recovery, they are the best. 2 work, 4 are better.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Jsouder53

Hooked
For snow recovery, they are the best. 2 work, 4 are better.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

I recently watched a video on the off brand and they seemed to work just as well. The guy was just making ice under his tires, then shifted into a worse position [emoji51]

Top Bottom