The Build and Adventures of Bearbait

Jsouder53

Hooked
Today I got a random text from my wife.... “what if we sell the f250 and buy an older 2 door Jeep”.

I love having an f250 for when we need to haul anything, but that’s rarely anymore since I’m not a carpenter. For the most part it sits in the driveway since it guzzles gas. So, tomorrow I’m probably going to post it on Craigslist for sale.

I’m pretty excited about getting a bit of a project Jeep now! Found a few Jeeps that have caught my eye already. A halfway decent YJ and TJ that’s not too bad.

Is there anything I need keep in mind for looking at a YJ or TJ?

Hopefully after selling the truck we will have some money left over.

jdofmemi

Today I got a random text from my wife.... “what if we sell the f250 and buy an older 2 door Jeep”.

I love having an f250 for when we need to haul anything, but that’s rarely anymore since I’m not a carpenter. For the most part it sits in the driveway since it guzzles gas. So, tomorrow I’m probably going to post it on Craigslist for sale.

I’m pretty excited about getting a bit of a project Jeep now! Found a few Jeeps that have caught my eye already. A halfway decent YJ and TJ that’s not too bad.

Sounds like a good idea.

Also sounds like you have a great wife. Congratulations
Good luck with selling the truck.

Jsouder53

Hooked
I sure hope this TJ is still available after I sell my F250! Adjustments.jpg I wonder if he takes I owe you’s [emoji23]

Last edited:

Rust-
Fenders
Frame at rear arm mount
Frame at skid mount
Frame at front arm mount
Body channels at frame mount
Rear body mount under tailgate hinge

4.0l
Excessive ticking/tapping- broken piston skirt
They all have some lifter tick.

Trans -
Autos are 3spd no OD, manuals 5. Make your own choice there.

Axles
Only Rubicon comes with a front 44, the front 30 on a tj is actually very stout. Rear 44 was an option on most. Otherwise it’s a c clip d35.

Everything else is cosmetic imo.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Jsouder53

Hooked
Rust-
Fenders
Frame at rear arm mount
Frame at skid mount
Frame at front arm mount
Body channels at frame mount
Rear body mount under tailgate hinge

I know there is a bit of rust above the front fenders and some body mount rust but he did say it’s nothing concerning. I’ll crawl under to be sure when I look at it.

4.0l
Excessive ticking/tapping- broken piston skirt
They all have some lifter tick.

Is this a difficult fix? Or just avoid the Jeep totally if I hear this? It is a 4.0l that I will be looking at.

Trans -
Autos are 3spd no OD, manuals 5. Make your own choice there.

This one is a manual, pretty excited about having a manual again lol

Axles
Only Rubicon comes with a front 44, the front 30 on a tj is actually very stout. Rear 44 was an option on most. Otherwise it’s a c clip d35.

Everything else is cosmetic imo.

How do the c clip d35 hold up?

Jsouder53

Hooked
Looks clean! I hope you get it!

I love the color combo too!

Small amount of cash down to hold might be an option?

I’ll have to ask once I go look at it! Great thought!

Hopefully it works out. That’s a great looking TJ!

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Nice tj!!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using WAYALIFE mobile app

I sure hope it works out! The mileage isn’t too bad for being a 1999, it has 141,300 on it.

I know there is a bit of rust above the front fenders and some body mount rust but he did say it’s nothing concerning. I’ll crawl under to be sure when I look at it.

Is this a difficult fix? Or just avoid the Jeep totally if I hear this? It is a 4.0l that I will be looking at.

This one is a manual, pretty excited about having a manual again lol

How do the c clip d35 hold up?

If the body mount channels are rusting you WILL be replacing them. $300 / pair + welding. The fact it’s got that diamond plate running along the bottom makes me think there’s more than just the body mount channel. Look between the channel and the outside panel on the floor pan. Pay extra attention to the area around the roll cage mount, lift the carpet and look at both front floor pans. If it’s already starting it only takes a year for it to turn into this.
IMG_6135.JPG
IMG_6134.JPG

IMG_0307.jpg
If a piston skirt broke that’s replacing pistons. Common over 150k. It’s an easy engine to work on and you can get all the parts for under 400 bucks. It is louder than a lifter and lower down the side of the block if you’re listening.

Nobody likes the Dana 35. It’s also a rear drum brake so when the c clip breaks the axle shaft will just roll on out. Nothing is holding it in. That said it’s not something that would be a deal breaker, I’ve done some stupid shit with a 35. A lot of Sahara’s came with 44 rears and 3.73 gears. 35 came pretty much only with 3.07 (4.10 for the 4 cylinder). The diff cover on a 35 is an oval with a rubber fill plug. 44 is more of a trapezoidy thing with a steel plug, well you have a jk look at your rear.

I really hate that this is my area of expertise.

Last edited:

Jsouder53

Hooked
If the body mount channels are rusting you WILL be replacing them. $300 / pair + welding. The fact it’s got that diamond plate running along the bottom makes me think there’s more than just the body mount channel. Look between the channel and the outside panel on the floor pan. Pay extra attention to the area around the roll cage mount, lift the carpet and look at both front floor pans. If it’s already starting it only takes a year for it to turn into this.
View attachment 342641
View attachment 342642

View attachment 342634
If a piston skirt broke that’s replacing pistons. Common over 150k. It’s an easy engine to work on and you can get all the parts for under 400 bucks. It is louder than a lifter and lower down the side of the block if you’re listening.

Nobody likes the Dana 35. It’s also a rear drum brake so when the c clip breaks the axle shaft will just roll on out. Nothing is holding it in. That said it’s not something that would be a deal breaker, I’ve done some stupid shit with a 35. A lot of Sahara’s came with 44 rears and 3.73 gears. 35 came pretty much only with 3.07 (4.10 for the 4 cylinder). The diff cover on a 35 is an oval with a rubber fill plug. 44 is more of a trapezoidy thing with a steel plug, well you have a jk look at your rear.

I really hate that this is my area of expertise.

I really appreciate all of your insight! I wouldn’t have known what to look for[emoji106] you hate that this is your expertise but I love it lol

Elroy231

Keep an eye on rear track bar bracket and control arm mounts. They like to rust away also. I have the d35 and I'm a pretty aggressive driver. I do things to it that people dont suggest. I know it's not gonna last, but they can handle some abuse. Till they cant and hopefully you have a plan or a spare.
The 5 spd manual seams to be working out pretty well for me. I'm in no hurry to go automatic.
Hope that jeep works out for you.

Jsouder53

Hooked
Keep an eye on rear track bar bracket and control arm mounts. They like to rust away also. I have the d35 and I'm a pretty aggressive driver. I do things to it that people dont suggest. I know it's not gonna last, but they can handle some abuse. Till they cant and hopefully you have a plan or a spare.
The 5 spd manual seams to be working out pretty well for me. I'm in no hurry to go automatic.
Hope that jeep works out for you.

Thanks for the suggestions! I’ll keep that in mind! I sure hope it’s still available once I’m ready to buy!

Top Bottom