The build of Jenny

JKbrick

I've been fighting this too, I went so far as to take off my lift and flip kit and spacers, I was just convinced it was some aftermarket part I had put on. I had tried to lay underneath and watch as the steering wheel was turned and saw nothing. Pried up and down on the wheel to check ball joints and saw nothing. I finally tore it all apart and my lower ball joint on the passenger side was shot. 13,500 miles all on stock wheels and tires. I'm in the process of changing ball joints so I don't know yet if this will 100% fix it

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Texas Nick

Caught the Bug
I've been fighting this too, I went so far as to take off my lift and flip kit and spacers, I was just convinced it was some aftermarket part I had put on. I had tried to lay underneath and watch as the steering wheel was turned and saw nothing. Pried up and down on the wheel to check ball joints and saw nothing. I finally tore it all apart and my lower ball joint on the passenger side was shot. 13,500 miles all on stock wheels and tires. I'm in the process of changing ball joints so I don't know yet if this will 100% fix it

Im positive it is your ball joints.
For the case of the OP, he already has pro steers, so i cant see it being that at all.

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
Im positive it is your ball joints.
For the case of the OP, he already has pro steers, so i cant see it being that at all.

Ball joints were my first thought when it wasn't the track bar. But with pro-steers and only 35's and maybe 3 years tops on them I wouldn't imagine that would be it.

Texas Nick

Caught the Bug

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
I also know that this Jeep had death wobble years ago and supposedly was from cupped tires. the only way they were able to stop it was with new tires. Went away from a long time and now these tires are starting to cup and it's come back. Could this just be a coincidence?

WJCO

Meme King
I also know that this Jeep had death wobble years ago and supposedly was from cupped tires. the only way they were able to stop it was with new tires. Went away from a long time and now these tires are starting to cup and it's come back. Could this just be a coincidence?

There still has to be play somewhere. I re-balanced tires on mine to get rid of it, but it really was still there, it didn't trigger it as much though.

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
There still has to be play somewhere. I re-balanced tires on mine to get rid of it, but it really was still there, it didn't trigger it as much though.

I do have a fox stabilizer that was on there when I bought it. Do you think it would be a good idea to take that off to see where the play could be?

WJCO

Meme King
I do have a fox stabilizer that was on there when I bought it. Do you think it would be a good idea to take that off to see where the play could be?

As far as testing it in the driveway, stabilizer won't hide play, so it doesn't matter. However on a road test, it will absorb the play so you won't feel it. But you said you're already experiencing death wobble, so chances are the stabilizer isn't hiding anything, it may even be worn out. That has nothing to do with your problem though.

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
As far as testing it in the driveway, stabilizer won't hide play, so it doesn't matter. However on a road test, it will absorb the play so you won't feel it. But you said you're already experiencing death wobble, so chances are the stabilizer isn't hiding anything, it may even be worn out. That has nothing to do with your problem though.

I didn't figure it was the problem, but more masking the problem.

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
So I'm not that familiar with heim joints... my re tracbbar uses a heim at the frame end and It is extremely easy to move side to side and it sounds like there might be some loose movement back and forth (side to side on Jeep) but it's not enough to be visible. Is this the cause or is this normal?

WJCO

Meme King
So I'm not that familiar with heim joints... my re tracbbar uses a heim at the frame end and It is extremely easy to move side to side and it sounds like there might be some loose movement back and forth (side to side on Jeep) but it's not enough to be visible. Is this the cause or is this normal?

Heim joints flex and move as the axles move, but it shouldn't have play in relation to how it's clamped in the mount or in relation to the diaganol distance between the axle mount and frame mount.

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
Heim joints flex and move as the axles move, but it shouldn't have play in relation to how it's clamped in the mount or in relation to the diaganol distance between the axle mount and frame mount.

It almost sounded like there might have been movement diaganolly and you could feel the slightest bit of click by holding the other end of the track bar and moving it (track bar was disconnected at axle end) but there was no visible movement

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
Post a video if you can.

Unfortunately I had already put it back together. I am positive it is that heim though. I did some more investigating and it had the slightest amount play moving it by hand, so I can only imagine it has much more with the weight of the Jeep on it. Now my problem is that I can't find that heim for sale anywhere online

Top Bottom