The Build of NABOO the Starfighter JK

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
Make sure springs are seated correctly. Then check that both lower arms are the same length as each other and check that both upper arms are the same length as each other.

ill double check the springs are seated correctly. but both where in the perch mounts when the axle was put back on its own weight. we didn't touch the lower control arms at all except to remove and put back in. the uppers are still stock so no adjustments could be made.

JKbrick

ill double check the springs are seated correctly. but both where in the perch mounts when the axle was put back on its own weight. we didn't touch the lower control arms at all except to remove and put back in. the uppers are still stock so no adjustments could be made.

Dumb question but is it centered up side to side? I think that may make coils bow also

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
I would still measure eye to eye on your adjustable arms to be sure. If you've had an re-alignment since the original install, it's possible the passenger lower is pushed out causing the spring to bow back. That would mean your old axle was bent some and not adjusting the arms could conceivably cause this. Long shot guess.

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
Dumb question but is it centered up side to side? I think that may make coils bow also

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

No dumb question here my friend.
I believe it is center but will double
Check this. The steering is off a bit so could this be a factor?

Here is more of a straight shot.
IMG_7964.jpg

I would still measure eye to eye on your adjustable arms to be sure. If you've had an re-alignment since the original install, it's possible the passenger lower is pushed out causing the spring to bow back. That would mean your old axle was bent some and not adjusting the arms could conceivably cause this. Long shot guess.

Bent Dana 30? What you talking about. Those things are bullet proof!

Good idea. I'm planning on getting it aligned after we get it all together.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Your track bar doesn't look adjustable, however, if you want to know if your axle is centered, from it as suggested in this thread: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?3861-Basic-Do-it-Yourself-Jeep-JK-Wrangler-Front-End-Alignment

As far as alignment, a shop likely will just set the toe. You can do that yourself for free by using the same thread.

Your steering wheel will be off if the draglink or track at has changed locations. Use your draglink to recenter your steering wheel. If your coil is bowed because the track bar can't be adjusted, it may be best to just leave it. Doesn't look like it's hurting anything right now.

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
Your track bar doesn't look adjustable, however, if you want to know if your axle is centered, from it as suggested in this thread: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?3861-Basic-Do-it-Yourself-Jeep-JK-Wrangler-Front-End-Alignment

As far as alignment, a shop likely will just set the toe. You can do that yourself for free by using the same thread.

Your steering wheel will be off if the draglink or track at has changed locations. Use your draglink to recenter your steering wheel. If your coil is bowed because the track bar can't be adjusted, it may be best to just leave it. Doesn't look like it's hurting anything right now.

this is great information and thank you! but one follow up question; I thought Moby and RubiCAT are both running the stock track bar? how do they have centered axles without this?

What he said. Seems passenger is adjusted shorter than driver.

will get some measurement of the lower control arms and see if they are different lengths.

WJCO

Meme King
this is great information and thank you! but one follow up question; I thought Moby and RubiCAT are both running the stock track bar? how do they have centered axles without this?

I doubt either axle is perfectly centered, however Eddie would know for sure. Now with a 3 inch lift and a drag link flip, the track bar location will be pretty close to OEM. Both those Jeeps are also running coilovers, so you aren't going to see a bowed coil spring the same way if their coil perches are indeed off a little.

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
I doubt either axle is perfectly centered, however Eddie would know for sure. Now with a 3 inch lift and a drag link flip, the track bar location will be pretty close to OEM. Both those Jeeps are also running coilovers, so you aren't going to see a bowed coil spring the same way if their coil perches are indeed off a little.

great points! could this mean the PR44 is bent?

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Following... super jealous! Love this. But I agree, it looks like a control arm adjustment issue. did it take any fuss to bolt up the lowers? that would be the tall tail sign. if everything went smoothly, then its likely just not centered and not something of major concern. :beer:

JeepJeep75

Following... super jealous! Love this. But I agree, it looks like a control arm adjustment issue. did it take any fuss to bolt up the lowers? that would be the tall tail sign. if everything went smoothly, then its likely just not centered and not something of major concern. :beer:

Yea, it didn't take tooo much effort. Just had to pry a bit with a pry bar to get the control arm bolts to slide in. It wasn't too far off, I'd say maybe a 16th off on the hole alignment. It does seem like the drivers side spring perch is level to the ground while the passenger side has a slight tilt. If indeed that is the case, no amount of trying to twist the axle with the control arms is gonna straighten it out. We will take a closer look on our next round of wrenching, but it may just be that way. We will see... [emoji106]

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
trying to think of a way to check for clearance on everything before we go to the trail and i find out there is an issue. any ideas on how to do this without a lift or ramp?

Sheaffadelic

Caught the Bug
trying to think of a way to check for clearance on everything before we go to the trail and i find out there is an issue. any ideas on how to do this without a lift or ramp?

I stacked my factory wheels/tires and flexed on them to check. is it safe?..... not sure lol

WJCO

Meme King
Jack up your frame as high as you can with tall jackstands. Then put your jack under axle and cycle it. It's easier to check it with springs removed.

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
I stacked my factory wheels/tires and flexed on them to check. is it safe?..... not sure lol

we do have 5 of Jacks old tires in the garage we can roll up on. haha but i don't have a front drive shaft so that will be a little more difficult.

Jack up your frame as high as you can with tall jackstands. Then put your jack under axle and cycle it. It's easier to check it with springs removed.

danget! everything is back together right now :doh: hopefully my two other shop friends will be up for this today.

Top Bottom